1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SmartMines! Pro or contra?

Discussion in 'Unreal 2' started by [GDC]Faust, May 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [GDC]Faust

[GDC]Faust Goblin Hunter

I hereby announce our Public-Beta-testing-thingy for the Smartmine-Mutator as ..eh.. finished. We (GDC) will keep the mutator on our server since we think it is a valuable addition to the XMP-public-gameplay.

I use this thread for a little discussion on this topic, because I saw that not everyone is happy with this Mut. Here you can take part in the discussion, which is in my opinion also a discussion about Gameplay-Mutators in general.

btw: does anybody else use this mutator already? I'm just curious! :)

Oh, attached a zip-file with install-guide.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  2. [DF]phalanx

[DF]phalanx bgutblower=true

i played it yesterday
    it was great you can now use mines without the risk or getting - points

3. [LNS]Jubei

[LNS]Jubei DeMoN HuNTeR

me contra,if you have good communication with you're team the chnces are very slim if they are listening that they stepp on you're mines,i think this mutator just makes it more easy as most of the vets know how to avoid the mines,i get frustrated too whern somebody steps on my mines even after you said it like a dozens times where they are,but it's part of the game.

4. thebigguy

thebigguy [{OSN}]bigguy

i like it and i dont like it. i like it cos stops ur own team getting killed by them but the bad thing is wen i gunner i sometimes use them to jump across the map which i cannot do wen this mutator is used

5. PF Prophet

PF Prophet New Member

good mutator since team for the most part dont listen to mine warrnings

also this games based in the future so wouldnt they have smart mines by this time that dont blow there own side up ???

6. Fleury14

Fleury14 Lei STILL sux. It's true.

Very much against.

With smart mines, there's little to stop a gunner from littering the base with mines ALL OVER the place. If you thought turret farms were bad...

7. [DF]phalanx

well a few things stop the gunners spamming them
    1. energy
    2 turret farmers

8. iddQd

iddQd Yours truly

I agree with Fleury. If the mut is on one can spam em all over and that team doesn't have to pay attention at all, imagine how good it could be to mine vehicles and only the enemy will die if he takes it?

It might work in public games but would be very sh1tty in clan matches.

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  9. PF Prophet

PF Prophet New Member

thats what team mates are for (shooting the mines:p )

kinda like people taking down turrets (even when they are well placed and we have plenty of energy)

10. [DF]phalanx

mining vehicles doesn't work the mines would blow up because of the vehicle

11. PF Prophet

PF Prophet New Member

um flack yes mining the raptor can work use a trip mine and the rap go's BOOM as they drive away the trip would likely still blow even with the mutator running though

12. IndianPsycho

IndianPsycho Registered user

Contra all the way.

13. fireball

fireball Reach out and torch someone

Having never tried these (will later) do they:
    1: not detonate when teammates touch, or
    2: detonate but do no damage.

2 I wouldn't mind, but 1 leads to abuse

14. Demo_Boy

Demo_Boy Incindiary

Team friendly mines are great.

If you are putting the mines in the right places to stop enemies, there is NO way to stop your teammates from dying.

"Communicate better" is just so far from being legitemately feasable, I can't see anyone who says that ever playing a Gunner. How are you going to "communicate" this on say, Rampant. Mines at 3 front doors, node, resupply pads, upper doors, v-terms, and in a few secret places? Remember they are all cycling as players run in on them. No you can't spend all your time typing in this game.

Even gas cloud can clear a bunch of mines, also shooting one in a densly packed area sets off all the others, problem solved.

The only negative is that you can mine teles and teammates can use them for a getaway route, which they couldn't do before.

I mentioned that icons would be better than team detect, but overall it's better than before. All pub servers should run it.

Good job!

15. W0RF

W0RF BuF Greeter, News Bagger

um... I think you CAN mine vehicles... put a laser trip underneath and when some poor slob tries to take your vehicle, the motion sets it off.

16. -=McBean=-

-=McBean=- *=)Bean(=*

About the communicating problem, why not just set up some communication binds?

m=teamsay Mines at 3 front doors, node, resupply pads, upper doors, v-terms

or if that's too long winded you could have seperate binds for:

Doors (lower/upper)
    Teleports (sides/front)
    Supply Stations
    v-terms

You get the idea...

Anyway I think the smartmines take away the fun, I wanna be carrying an arti and step on a mine just before reaching the node, it makes you pay attention to your surroundings. It's one of those things that can make a game last longer or ultimately make you lose the match. Players should be smart enough just to shoot the mines before trying to do anything (stealing arti/caping arti).

17. [DF]phalanx

how do you get a tripmine underneith a raptor?

18. fireball

Crouch.
    It's really, really easy. (Btw, you need 1 for a Raptor, 2 for a Harbie, and 3 for a Jugg if they're at full health)

19. Demo_Boy

Demo_Boy Incindiary

Custom comms for mined locations

There are some problems with those ideas:
    -If the comm is custom, like Mines at 3 front doors, node, resupply pads, upper doors, v-terms -- then it is only good for one map.
    -Also, since the mines are cycling, not all of those locations are mined when I call it.
    -If the comm is general case, then the problem is that you can only say two things every 10 seconds.
    -Even if you could spam all you wanted, you still have to get your team to read them -- not always possible when they are in combat at the front lines, it's not applicable till they come home.
    -Even when they are aware and all that, the mines are well hidden -- by design. So it's common for them to trip one, then I rez they walk over to the resupply and trip another... meanwhile there's incoming.

Finally, I think being able to mine vs the enemy team effectively would make the game last longer. It is not very hard to grab artis right now, team mines slow down the offense.

20. fireball

And the other problem with coms: what if the other guy doesn't speak English (or whatever you're using)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.