1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SmartDM for UT99

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by ProAsm, Jul 12, 2013.

1. The_Cowboy

The_Cowboy Member

Regarding other scorebords like snowy or haloween etc, I think that they should be released in different packages. Combining all the features in one package was not the idea (and that is why there is a feature to support external scoreboard :)).

Edit:
    And survivability is not rubbish. In fact, now when it has been debugged, I think, it is of great value.
    Wises, maybe you can come up with graphic version to represent it :)

Edit:2
    ProAsm, do make new thread (in mutator section at UA) while releasing this mod. People still think I am developing it (as googling SmartDM leads to thread started by me).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  2. The_Cowboy

The_Cowboy Member

There is a tutorial in logosplash to import textures.

3. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Thanks Cowboy, I also agree 100% about dumping the CTF and Snowy SB's as like you say, they can be easily added later.
    I quite like the Survivability.
    LOL, last night I played on a server with SmartDM0905 on it, wow the SB is BIG in comparison :)
    Anyways I'll put together a final beta for tests only, then maybe we can release it as 104 :)

4. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Please do not put them in a .utx file, zip them as separate .pcx or .bmp files.
    I cannot import a .utx file and it gets very complicated to figure out who's who in the zoo.

5. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Yes I know but that takes time, a lot of time and interferes with my coding.
    If they separate pics I can do one on every code compile.
    I'm putting together a compile sequence then you can test your graphics there on your PC.

6. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

http://www.proasm.com/files/ut/beta/sdm.zip

1. Unzip this to your UnrealTournament folder.
    2. In your System folder there should now be:

$SmartDM.bat - drag a shortcut to your desktop
    SmartDM102.u - needed
    SmartDMScoreboard102.u - will get deleted and renewed on every compile.

3. Off your main UT, you will see a folder called SmartDMScoreboard102.
    Off that folder are 2 other folders, Classes and Textures
    In the textures folder are 2 bmp files, testred and testblue
    Those are the 2 files all your test graphics must be called.

4. In your UnrealTournament.ini file add these 2

[Editor.EditorEngine]
    EditPackages=SmartDM102
    EditPackages=SmartDMScoreBoard102

Once you have created your files and named them testred and testblue
    Execute that $SmartDM.bat (desktop shortcut) and a new Scoreboard will be compiled.

So you can compile a zillion scoreboards and test to see what the headers look like.

7. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

With juggling I got some gradient going.
    Currently I have put an option in the SmartDM.ini file as:
    bTeamHeadingOption2=True/False

If it's False you will get the standard colors (top of pic)
    If it's True you will get the option colors (bottom of pic)

Should we leave the option, or just opt for one or the other ?

[​IMG]

8. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

That will currently interfere with the User Team Name.
    For UT to write Text in the correct place is a HUGE mission, not like a notepad.
    Besides being a coder you need to be a mathematical genius also :)

Btw, I'll post the final beta later today and will make a release on Monday morning my time.

9. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Not many changes except for bTeamHeadingOption= and basic neatening up of things and removing all old test code and stuff.

Here is the writeup on my site for release and the same writeup in a text form will go on the UA forum.
    http://www.proasm.com/ut/smartdm.html

10. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I'm releasing this as is for now.

We can then change things and do all the other stuff, but the current release was initially all about getting more players to fit in the screen and nothing else.
    That has now been done + a number of other things.

Basically I want to give this a rest for now and get back to my other projects, kinda gets to you after a while.

This is the final beta and will just be renamed to 104 and re-compiled.

http://www.proasm.com/files/ut/beta/SmartDM103m.zip

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  11. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Well I want to continue with my MapVote as well as the Best Player Stats for SmartDM similar to ATBHighscores but with some options etc.

Also another problem is last Saturday I had a bad fall and hurt my hip real bad and am currently on heavy pain killers which kinda effects the brain power and I get tired very quickly so I cannot code for long.

12. The_Cowboy

The_Cowboy Member

Take care friend. Dont stress too much. Health first :).

13. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I seem to have struck a problem here and looks like it's been there from the start.
    When playing I never really taken notice of the players SURV: (Survivability)
    Today I put a gamepassword on my server and uploaded SmartDM104 onto it.
    While playing a Teamgame I noticed that many Players (Bots) had SURV: or 400+ when the game is only 1 minute in duration.

Has anyone picked this up before ?

14. The_Cowboy

The_Cowboy Member

Dont know about current status, but this feature was always buggy in previous versions. I tried to find the flaw but couldn't succeed.

15. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

ahh ok, it only seems to happen on a dedicated server, local PC or Listen Server it seems to work ok.
    I will look into it.

16. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I decided to hold back on the release ever so slightly as I still want to get it out this week.

I kinda decided to take your advice and add a few extra things to it as although we fitted many more players to the scoreboard, I think generally this is not the major requirement although more than the original 8 is a necessity.

I have added an extra line of stats to the scoreboard thereby reducing the players per screen by 2 which I think is a good sacrifice to enable extra stats.

A 1024x768 or 1280 x 800 screen still holds 12 players for DM and 10 for TDM which I feel is fair.

The SmartDM core has enough hooks for us to add another scoreboard with different sizes etc for later coding and this is where Cowboys clientside menu classes can come in handy as the new scoreboard can utilize them.

This is a new version of the envisaged release.

http://www.proasm.com/files/ut/beta/SmartDM103p.zip

I have done extensive tests on my server and all seems to work well.

If you have time to test it, let me know what you think.

17. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

1. Regarding the scaling in UT.
    UT ONLY caters for 1024 x 768 and below.
    So all UT internal calculations are done for 1024 x 768 then above or below that, everything is a compromise where pixels are just added or subtracted.
    Back in 1998 when UT was 1st release 1024 x 768 was only available on very expensive graphic cards and 640 x 480 was the most popular resolution.
    So to get something to work today in 1280 x 800 and above is very challenging.
    That's why if someone as a problem, then if the problem is not there in 1024 x 768, then the problem is not worth looking at.
    I'm very surprised the Patch451 did not cater for widescreen monitors etc.

2. Regarding the 4 team Team Game, in all my UT life and I play on many many servers across Europe and the UK, I have never ever seen a 4 team game.
    The coding for it must be enormous but if some bright coder feels like coding a 4 team SB, he/she can always make one as I am not going to go there, well not now anyway, life is too short :)

3. Changing Headers for Teams.
    In the SmartDM.ini file:
    [SmartDM103p.SmartDM]
    bEnabled=True
    ScoreBoardType=SmartDMScoreBoard103p.SmartDMScoreBoard
    CountryFlagsPackage=CountryFlags2
    RedTeamHeading=SmartDM's Red Team <----------------
    BlueTeamHeading=SmartDM's Blue Team <----------------
    bTeamHeadingOption=False <----------------

4. Regarding MapVoteLA13 being the most popular, that is a matter of opinion.
    Most the servers I've seen with Mapvote on them still use the original BDBMapVote3.
    Before I started modifying mapvote I spoke to several players and admin in games and email about the use of a mapvote.
    I was quite surprised to hear the a lot of servers do not use a mapvote of any description and only use the internal map rotation.
    The apparent reason behind this is players cannot decide what they want to play and often teams of guys will always vote for the same maps or maps they like and are good at and so players leave your server and never come back.

Tapping into MapVoteLA13 is not possible as BDB removed the source code and thats why it too so long before someone reverse engineered the mod to get the source out.
    Also tapping into a mod can only be done if the Author left a 'hook' in the mod for tapping into.
    Try and build a scoreboard for SmartDM103E as that beta release I removed the source code just to see what happens and sure enough, no outside SB's could be made.

5. You mentioned something about a HUD etc, sorry you lost me completely there ?

6. Your name in the Credits.
    Yes, I apologize for that, but I gave that a long and hard thought.
    In UT2Vote and several of my other mods I gave testers and suggester's credit in the mod itself and after several years this got out of hand as every change there were different testers etc and the list eventually had to have it's on page.
    You are mentioned in the release notes as well as on my website which should suffice.
    I was even a little shy mentioning my name in there as it is still 90% The_Cowboy's mod.
    But if you insist then I can add you as a beta tester ?

Think I covered most bases here :)

18. Wises

Wises New Member

Absolutely...

Good stuff.. re: credits etc.. I would prefer not to be on any of them tbh , including the website / .txt or the in-game menu thanks :)

take care.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  19. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I've added back the SlimScoreboard options which basically removes the Pickups and Spectators, allowing 16 players to be displayed on 1024x768 and 1280x800 on both DM and TDM.

I think this is necessary as many Teamgames are set for 16 players.

20. The_Cowboy

The_Cowboy Member

So, if I understood correct, one can enable and disable spectators and pickups from menu? Cool.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013