SmartDM for UT99

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
oh and UTLogit is fine I CBF'd with worrying about it atm tbh .

CBF'd = (can't be *Fluffy Ducks*)
atm = (at the moment)
tbh = (to be honest)
iirc = (If I Recall correctly) ~ Do-Not mistake for Advanced Notepad (IRC) & yes (I Recall Correctly)
idk = (I don't know)
afaik = (as far as I know)

:)

Last edited:

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
expect some odd resolutions in the .log's I will post tomorrow..

or maybe Iam the only one who plays in window mode.. lmao.

just doing some tests atm looking (working) really well mate .. Again GREAT EFFORT.

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
Code:
PlayerLog[4]=2013/08/05 | BeNKi_NiNJa | *.*.*.* | 14:11:16 | 157 | 1156x829
PlayerLog[5]=2013/08/05 | }IN{Z@ngetsu | *.*.*.* | 18:07:33 | 81 | 1366x768
PlayerLog[6]=2013/08/05 | Sarge | *.*.*.* | 18:09:06 | 2615 | 
PlayerLog[7]=2013/08/05 | medor | *.*.*.* | 18:29:53 | 304 | 800x600
PlayerLog[8]=2013/08/05 | seriousnoob | *.*.*.*| 20:30:18 | 257 | 800x600
PlayerLog[9]=2013/08/05 | Tdm | *.*.*.*| 20:51:06 | 298 | 
PlayerLog[10]=2013/08/05 | oW | *.*.*.* | 21:11:52 | 469 | 1024x768

*Confirmed down to 800x600 so far.. still few players to go through yet.

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
also Iam liking the inline board display with cross hair .. is there anyway to make this default?.. or not lol.

it is really cool

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
More Idea's:
========

----------UPDATED

ok .. couple more things to make this thing 'Smarter' if time permits and at later date you may feel like incorporating.

was thinking , player time as in the real time for each player... displayed on board some where.. this could probably replace net-speed.
as this stat is not really of any real significance. imo.

as it would be good to see what time it is at player locations :) ie; REALTIME: 7:31am
attachment.php
.. also to be really clever , based on the time the player joins the board could say in console.. "Good Morning %Player , Welcome to XX Server's" , or "Good Evening..." and "youre still awake %Player welcome back for more..." for >12pm lol

Another smart Feature .. like your bot's lol.. they are really clever..

of course client time based and ability to set the things in the .ini

[time.SmartDM]
bDisplaytimeonBoard=True ;publicise all players real times on board
bTimeChecks=True ; Abililty to turn on off.. if enabled replace NETSPEED.
time[1]=(startTime="6:00",endTime"11:59","Good Morning %P")
time[2]=(startTime="12:00",endTime"12:30","time for Lunch %P , Arn't you hungry")
time[3]=(startTime="12:31",endTime"17:59","Good Afternoon %P , how has your day been?")
time[4]=(startTime="18:00",endTime"19:59","have you had T yet %P?")
time[5]=(startTime="20:00",endTime"23:59","Time for some Serious games now %P")
time[6]=(startTime="00:00",endTime"1:00","burning some midnight Oil are we %P?")
time[7]=(startTime="1:00",endTime"5:00","Arite Time For Bed %P")
time[8]=(startTime="",endTime"","Good Morning %P")
; perhaps later add icon for 'time of day' morning , afternoon , evening , early hours (OWL)

another thing is... perhaps if we could somehow Identify gametypes which allows for switching of scoreboards from normal to alternative (remove pickups) in some custom games.. that would be Smart?

for example my mod > comboshock1e : http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4730&p=53407&hilit=comboshock#p53407

is an arena which does not need Pickups etc. also thing's like HEDSHOTS and stuff irrelevant.. (this is why I recommended hiding 'not showing' headshots like (killing spree's) by default.. unless the player scores .. then it displays. therefore rather then removing it .. just hide unless a headshot is scored then reveal it.

perhaps having a separate mutator setting from smartDM in the .int file ; like;
[smartDMCustom[1].smartDM]
to
[smartDMCustom[16].smartDM] (16 configurable custom gametypes)

settings for the Custom gameType Headings and stuff could be moved under these?

[smartDMCustom[1].smartDM]
GameInfo[0]=(bEnabled=True,GameClass="",GameName="ComboShock+",bShowPickups=True,Color="R=255,G=255,B=255")
[smartDMCustom[2].smartDM]
GameInfo[0]=(bEnabled=True,GameClass="",GameName="Deathmatch+",bShowPickups=True,Color="R=255,G=255,B=255")

this way .. we can add the mutator=smartDMCustom[1].smartDM for comboShock and it will show the custom headings as well as autoswitch to the Alternative (no pickups) board :)

grey = remove , red = add ^^

Prolly a bit tricky..

*I will also do up some Icons for all the bit's n peaces.. like pickups etc.. soon.

*also .. just wondering if you could do a small test for me.. Admin/Medor is only getting 20 ammo for my mod above comboShock , however I seem to get 9999 (unlimited) .. would it be possible for you to check on your server please and see if the correct ammo 9999 shows please?
I guess a total redesign of the board to be able to be customized easily would be a work in process..

----------UPDATED----&-------MERGED

Attachments

• morning16x16.png
    morning16x16.png
    523 bytes · Views: 14
Last edited:

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
lawls Sniper looks cool with no zoom crosshair :) in SB mode.

balwaysShowSB=True ;)

Attachments

• inline zoom with sniper.jpg
    inline zoom with sniper.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
also I am liking the inline board display with cross hair .. is there anyway to make this default?.. or not lol.
Once you select the inline and crosshair in the menu, from then on t will be default.
It had crossed my mind to code it as default as I like the inline also and always have it on but it could have peed some off as it's different and people that get used to things don't like 'different' :)

I like your ideas about player local times.
The problem with these kind of things, it's like local name colors, frame rates, and a host of other items you requested, these items are local.

A note on coding in UT

So for everyone to see them, the client needs to replicate them to the server, there the server needs to store all this information in some format, then send it back to each client to display on their scoreboard.
Too much replication can cause much lag on the game and soon people stop coming to your server because of the high lag.

Basically if you think of the code, you get serverside stuff and clientside stuff.
In between the two is a train going back and forth between the client and server.
The more you put on this train, the longer it gets, the slower it travels, the longer it spends in each station and so on.........
Then there is the other problem in UT (was fixed in UT004) a train can only be a maximum of 1012 characters long and once you hit that the train just takes no more passengers and you loose out on something.

Back in 1999 when BDB and myself had our Mapvote3 and ProVote55 we hit this problem because people wanted more and more maps shown on their maplist when voting.
So I found that when sending the maplist to the client, we removed the prefix 'DM-' and the '.unr' and just sent the name.
I informed BDB about this and that is when MapVoteLA was born.
We also urged map builders to keep their map names short, but it fell on deaf ears.

Now sending map names or game names only happens when a client wants to see the menu, but in your case where you want all these client side items seen by everyone, the train needs to be going all the time, and the more players that join, the faster the train has to move to deliver passengers to all these players.

Like I say about different colors for each player, basically only the player will see his favourite color, no one else will unless you stick these colors on the train and like I say the biggest problem is lag.
People tend to associate lag with high ping, this is not always the case, it's the number of mods and how big the trains are on these mods.
At the end of the day, the more eye candy a game has got, the moe chance of bad lag :(

Last edited:

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
*also .. just wondering if you could do a small test for me.. Admin/Medor is only getting 20 ammo for my mod above comboShock , however I seem to get 9999 (unlimited) .. would it be possible for you to check on your server please and see if the correct ammo 9999 shows please?
I guess a total redesign of the board to be able to be customized easily would be a work in process..

Sorry, excuse my ignorance but you lost me here :)
What is it you want me to test, I don't understand about the 9999 ammo ?

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
Once you select the inline and crosshair in the menu, from then on t will be default.
It had crossed my mind to code it as default as I like the inline also and always have it on but it could have peed some off as it's different and people that get used to things don't like 'different' :)
I don't think so , however.. I think if there was the option to have it as default and the AltBoard as (left,right,left) via menu should be ok.
also cross hair on by default , it's pretty cool even without wep's /health etc displayed.

^ also had a second request for single profile center screen.. lmao. Perhaps refer them to spongebob's one.. or they can get used to left inline version hehe;

I like your ideas about player local times.
The problem with these kind of things, it's like local name colors, frame rates, and a host of other items you requested, these items are local.
Have emailed you an invitation to look at something which may/not help with these issues. edit it and or comment back on your thoughts.

A note on coding in UT

So for everyone to see them, the client needs to replicate them to the server, there the server needs to store all this information in some format, then send it back to each client to display on their scoreboard.
Too much replication can cause much lag on the game and soon people stop coming to your server because of the high lag.

Basically if you think of the code, you get serverside stuff and clientside stuff.
In between the two is a train going back and forth between the client and server.
The more you put on this train, the longer it gets, the slower it travels, the longer it spends in each station and so on.........
Then there is the other problem in UT (was fixed in UT004) a train can only be a maximum of 1012 characters long and once you hit that the train just takes no more passengers and you loose out on something.

Back in 1999 when BDB and myself had our Mapvote3 and ProVote55 we hit this problem because people wanted more and more maps shown on their maplist when voting.
So I found that when sending the maplist to the client, we removed the prefix 'DM-' and the '.unr' and just sent the name.
I informed BDB about this and that is when MapVoteLA was born.
We also urged map builders to keep their map names short, but it fell on deaf ears.

Now sending map names or game names only happens when a client wants to see the menu, but in your case where you want all these client side items seen by everyone, the train needs to be going all the time, and the more players that join, the faster the train has to move to deliver passengers to all these players.

Like I say about different colors for each player, basically only the player will see his favourite color, no one else will unless you stick these colors on the train and like I say the biggest problem is lag.
People tend to associate lag with high ping, this is not always the case, it's the number of mods and how big the trains are on these mods.
At the end of the day, the more eye candy a game has got, the moe chance of bad lag :(

Very interesting and TBH I was wondering about the exact same things.. I guess the good thing is these days , that rarely will 90% of servers running 700 mods ever get full.. I mean we've been in the top 50 server's a couple of times..and... only had like 6-10 players max.. infact most servers these days cater for 12-16max.. with the rare exception of some.. and most don't even hit 12 consistently.. so I guess you could say that there's only a few Stations (clients) for stuff to get to and from ...

Iam learning a bit from you here and am enjoying it.. have been tossing up learning this language or moving onto something else.. but if you could slip in more hints (here and there) I'll get it soon enough and you seem to be a pretty good teacher and very experienced in these things.

*any future Idea's I will consider careful weather they are on-way client > server or need to be Replicated to all players.

Last edited:

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
Sorry, excuse my ignorance but you lost me here :)
What is it you want me to test, I don't understand about the 9999 ammo ?

aha sorry .. yes , this mod here I made ComboShock1e.. is a newnet based spinoff of what wormbo made a few years ago .. Combogib.

anyway I built it from all sorts of things and it seems to work online (on my server) but another guy claims that he only get's 20 ammo.. when he uses it online..

offline dedicated it shows unlimited ammo .. but online it shows only 20 ammo .. :\

cheers

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
Re: player RealTime.. a replicated server > ALL-Players console welcome perhaps.
(like Anthchecker does on player joins)

some thing like..

console;

Code:
Welcome %Player from 192.168.x.x@hostname.com , localtime is: %t

perhaps?

x.x masked purposefully as displaying of IP's not cool.

perhaps even just the hostname even.. or optional.

----------EDIT
[default.settings]
bWelcomePlayer=True
WelcomeMessage="Welcome %p from %h , localtime is: %t"
; valid variables = %p , %h , %t , %c
; %p = player
; %h = hostname
; %t = player time
; %c = country

be a bit easier..

why I request masked ip and hostname is because sometimes troublemakers.. try aliasing.. and reconnecting and abusing players.

this sometimes makes it obvious who they really are.

also log full ip/hostname to .log.

Last edited:

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
more data on screen resolutions;

PlayerLog[15]=2013/08/06 | seriousnoob | *.*.*.* | 01:22:06 | 258 | 800x600
PlayerLog[16]=2013/08/06 | Player1 | *.*.*.* | 04:51:05 | 258 | 800x600
PlayerLog[17]=2013/08/06 | code187 | *.*.*.* | 04:52:08 | 144 | 1280x800
PlayerLog[18]=2013/08/06 | -=]UL[R@nju=- | *.*.*.* | 08:24:00 | 118 | 1024x768
PlayerLog[19]=2013/08/06 | gust | *.*.*.* | 10:31:45 | 106 | 1680x1050
PlayerLog[20]=2013/08/06 | mmm-cz | *.*.*.* | 10:35:29 | 228 | 1280x1024
PlayerLog[21]=2013/08/06 | =deBaser= | *.*.*.* | 10:36:07 | 358 | 1680x1050
PlayerLog[22]=2013/08/06 | NAHUAL | *.*.*.* | 10:42:26 | 291 | 640x480
PlayerLog[23]=2013/08/06 | }IN{$poiled_Br@t$ | *.*.*.*| 10:57:18 | 407 | 1024x768
PlayerLog[24]=2013/08/06 | AnDrEw | *.*.*.* | 11:07:16 | 361 | 1024x768
PlayerLog[25]=2013/08/06 | }IN{_Spiderman | *.*.*.* | 11:24:12 | 192 | 1024x768
PlayerLog[26]=2013/08/06 | Syranic | *.*.*.* | 11:38:55 | 221 | 1280x720
PlayerLog[27]=2013/08/06 | Sarge | *.*.*.* | 11:39:46 | 339 | 640x480
PlayerLog[28]=2013/08/06 | -=Rp*Loco^! | *.*.*.* | 11:46:51 | 133 | 640x480
PlayerLog[29]=2013/08/06 | qp | *.*.*.* | 12:12:38 | 107 | 1280x1024
PlayerLog[31]=2013/08/06 | }IN{Z@ngetsu | *.*.*.* | 13:12:08 | 91 | 800x600

and there's more evidence of Lower Screen Resolutions..

*wonders if ProASM was trying to prove a point with his inclusion of Resolutions in LogiT* hehe.

stats based on about 1/5th of our regular player base

is logit able to get hostnames and country as well ProASM?

also... why only 256 entries?.. will it lag if like AKA 6000-20000 entries?

Last edited:

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
also.. there has been queries about (green flags) maybe not working in tournament mode with pure .. warmup .. could you look into it also please

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
shadow thing

you see this qp wins the match thing?

can that shadow be adjusted slightly? like moved closer to the text and Different colour ?.. like clearer? idc (I don't care) what colour's as long as is clear..

also this is the concept I had for the TDM score board as well like red/black blue/black

to emphasize the titles a little bit

Attachments

• shadow thing.jpg
    shadow thing.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
I have had to manually tell players about mutate smartdm menu .. which is irritating ..
!smartdm and !sdm be a bonus.. but because .. etc..

Perhaps;
---------

New mod concept. Ability to create custom commands and bind to !cmds as such..

like for example .. if I wanted players to be able to add bots I could set up something which would work like so.. from server.

[SmartCommands.SmartCommands]
cmd[1]="!sdm"
cmd[2]="@bots"
cmd[3]="!help"
cmd[4]="#web"
cmd[5]="?sdm"
;[!] = mutate calls
;[@] = exec base cmds
;[#] = open [url/server's]
;[?] = display line of text
action[1]="mutate smartdm menu"
action[2]="exec addbots.txt"
action[3]="mutate smartdm menu.help"
action[4]="http://www.website.com"
action[5]="type mutate smartdm menu to open smartdm menu lolz"
*Something like that be kinda useful and compliment SendToWeb.

4 & 5 already available in other mods like sendtoweb and serveradds

Last edited:

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
here's a lol... IPServerX

ever seen a server where it looks like players are online then you join and they are bots Pro?

have a look at that ^ lol

ProAsm

Mar 20, 2002
www.proasm.com
*wonders if ProASM was trying to prove a point with his inclusion of Resolutions in LogiT* hehe.
Half and half, I knew a lot of players were on 1024x768 but did not think in this age that they would be on lower because the theory that everything works faster in lower res is a myth.
My G5 mouse scans at 4000 pix/sec whereas my old Dual Logic I had back then was lucky if it made 200/sec
Todays graphic cards run in the Gigahertz where cards back then barely made 200 mhz.
I logged onto my normal server in Germany yesterday and switched between 800x600 and 1280x1024 and 99% of the time I could not tell the difference in performance except the beautiful eye candy at 1280x1024.
Why anyone would want to play with real crap graphics is beyond me as I play to enjoy myself and enjoy the game and the company.
I win 1/100 games if I'm lucky.

is logit able to get host names and country as well ProASM?
No, not at this stage, but it's a thought :)

also... why only 256 entries?.. will it lag if like AKA 6000-20000 entries?
UT is only capable of crunching 255 entries at a time with it's 10 year old outdated database.
And yes it will play a part in a bit of lag as every time a player logs on it has to search right through the database to see if this player is already there.
That's why when it reaches around 200, I rename the file and let it start again.
It's no biggy because after a month or so the chances of any new players is slim.

also.. there has been queries about (green flags) maybe not working in tournament mode with pure .. warmup .. could you look into it also please
This 'Pure' that you keep talking about, is this UTPure like I run on my server, because if it is then there is no problem.

can that shadow be adjusted slightly? like moved closer to the text and Different colour ?.. like clearer?
You talking about the gray shadow around the text of 'qp wins the match!' ?
If so yes, I meant to change that but forgot.

I have had to manually tell players about mutate smartdm menu
The same as you would have to manually tell them about !whatever
If they cannot see the [Mutate SmartDM Menu] in the scoreboard which sits there permanently 24/7 then they need to have their eyes tested or something.
They only have to do it once, then they can bind a key in the menu.
I spoke to some players yesterday about key binding and the majority said for menu driven mods, like the new SmartDM, MapVote and some others they mentioned that I don't know, they reckon a keybind is a lot better because when you want the menu you want it instantly.
The other thing they said is they would like me to alter my UTCmds so that when they make a ! command, it does not display generally to all players.

ever seen a server where it looks like players are on line then you join and they are bots Pro?
Yes there are several servers like that and it really pisses one off because you see all these players in the browser and you think wow a good game and when you get there it just bots.
ServerBots for UT2004 used to do that but I changed it as it really angered players.

Just a note here:
1. All the ! commands you request should not go in a mod that does other things like SmartAnything or whatever.
They must remain in a standalone mod like UTCmds for instance that only runs server side and can be changed at anytime.
Regarding the !Bots command, that is dangerous as one player will add while others remove and the game never gets under way.
Best maybe like I did with UT2Vote is that you can have a SemiAdmin who is allowed minor tasks.
So you have a SemiAdmin with a password you give a player who plays often and let him do what is necessary.

2. Regarding the Gliffy you sent, currently I'm having such bad Internet problems that even this page or this post takes like 20 minutes so it won't come in.
Any new website that is not cached just takes forever so I just exit it.
This is what happens when you live in a small country village out in the sticks, you just have to take pot luck :(

3. I'm giving this stuff a break for a while as I'm currently putting my some of my time in my MapVoteX101 mod which is going very slowly as I'm basically doing it from scratch.
As I said once before, this time around I'm mainly a player and not a coder.
Last time back in 1999-2005 I spent all my time coding for everybody else, this is not going to happen again.
I enjoy playing, even if I loose every time which is not the point and over the last 2 month's I've hardly played at all.

Wises

Sep 15, 2008
attached RealTime - flowchart .. there's a few parts that could do with editing I guess.

yes correct on most other things as well.. , understand that competitiveness vs this is pretty makes all the difference.. I like both / understand both.

competitive settings;

low res
hidden weapons
reduced hud
no decals
low gore
dot for cross hair

mouse sense adjustments etc.

pretty settings;

high res
weapon show
expanded HUD
decals
Normal / high gore
big Assed cross for Cross hair

um yeah , have a break 'kitkat' and think about things. Another Mapvote?.. interesting.. before I mentioned x3dfx MAPVOTE.. but I think you got the wires crossed.

here is the one Iam talking about: http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfiles/index.php?search=x3dfx&dir=&searchMode=f

it has a point of difference , which is ... that you can vote for certain Mutator configurations and such.. however there were some problems with it , for memory .. like having very limited number of configs .. less then mapvoteLA and such.

:)

Attachments

• realtime.png
    realtime.png
    41 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: