1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SmartDM for UT99

Discussion in 'Dev Team' started by ProAsm, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Wises

Wises New Member

what I guess you should know and I have researched this somewhat ..

is ... that really really good players.. usually use really really low resolutions ;)

so .. we can;t just say raise your resolution.. because if you were the best in SouthAffrica and played for 13 years at 640x480 16 bit on an old 486 and won every game .. how would you feel if someone said .. oh hey.. just up your resolution by 7000px and then you can see my new scoreboard.. ?

you see the distance the mouse needs to travel at a lower res sometimes is less and more accurate then the same distance at a higher res I guess..

it actually took myself a while to discover that the limitations of the board.. and someone I asked to test .. one of the best players from Australia btw.. !Loco
    has been used to playign at the res and 5000 netspeed .. however I had to force his NSPD up to at least 15000 due to newnet.

2. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Ok you can get off standing on your head now.

I felt sorry for all the 'professionals' so I made a compromise for 640x480 :)
    No dead skull, also no Orders or Location in TDM.

If they don't like it, they know exactly what to do :)

[​IMG]

Fixed some major problems regarding the SURV: - Survivabilty.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. Wises

Wises New Member

looks good :)

you can also loose the kiltype/pickups titles and pull the dbl/sbt back in line with PKTLOSS to gain extra realistate also reduce the Multis/Pikups to 2-3 letter appreviations ;)

whew i was getting sore hands standing like that.. and went a bit blue/purple as well..

what is/was the issue with Survivability?.. or rather how does it work? - calculated?

also.. have had a question about stats recovery.. most of us use resurector to recover players stats if/when players are disconnected and or leave and come back to a round.. also some of the stats like time.. are used with ATB to calculate the EOR (End of Round) stats for the slide in menu as well as player ranks/strengths... etc

--------------------EDIT

now I know that CB had issues with this because the code seemed odd?.. or something.However it works .. and it works well from what Ive seen.

perhaps we make a ServerSide Only.. SmartRecovery.mod More on this in couple of posts

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  4. Wises

Wises New Member

ok stepping up a notch..

not sure if you have heard of Ferbotz.. but these things are supposed to be the next big thing in ut.. esp for online/offline play. these are advanced Botz which think better then stock UT Botz BTW.

anyways for some reason they don't work with these new scoreboards smartdm/ctf.. however i have the fix from the dev and this little edge will make smartdm preferred over other smartThings.. of course we'll probably want to.. include later a smart ctf board

can u add this ability into SmartDM please m8 :)

cheers.

5. Wises

Wises New Member

SmartRecovery
    ==========

ServerSide Only mod which collects and stores all relevant stats from 3 Gametypes.
    also loaded as ServerActor.

What it should recover;

* Player Alias
    * Player IP
    * Player Hostname
    * Player Kills
    * Player Deaths
    * Player SPREE's/MULTI's
    * TimeOnline during match before Disconnection (Important)
    * HeadShots
    * Suicides
    * Pickup's Count.
    * Efficiency?.. or can this be calculated based on other variables?
    * Player HWID / Later ~ for use with ACE (not needed atm)

in the SmartRecovery.ini Store the following Variables;

AS=alias
    IP=192.168.0.1
    HN=192.168.0.1@longbeach-hotel.com.usa
    KI=10
    DE=5
    MU=0,1,0,0,2,0,2,0,0,1
    KS=4,2,0,0,1,0,2,0,0,0
    TM=1:30 (Real Time)
    HS=10
    SU=1
    PK=1,0,0,0,2,0,1,4,0,0

These we put into 1 line per player.. so ;

SmartPlayer[x]=(AS="alias","IP="192.168.0.1",HN="192.168.0.1@longbeach-hotel.com.usa",KI=10,DE=5,MU="0,1,0,0,2,0,2,0,0,1",KS="4,2,0,0,1,0,2,0,0,0",TM=90,HS=10,SU=1,PK="1,0,0,0,2,0,1,4,0,0");

*Each and Everytime a player joins they will need to be checked against this .ini ... QuickChecks compare IP/Hostname and ALIAS because sometimes several players on a LAN may join .. which could confuse the SmartRecovery. And in case of disconnection both players will likely be disconnected.
    only difference between these 2 players is Alias. If they want to be cheaky and trick the system by changing their alias.. later on HWID will be better.

Later on for CTF will will need to include CTF Stats of course as well.

EOR ~ Stats could be .. then.. stored in a SmartStats.ini or something ..
    I am not sure as to ut99's ability to utilize a DB within itself.. it can of course connect to a remote stats server.. php/mysql but Ideally it would be good to have an entire system independently of the outside world imo.

at the EOR the SmartRecovery.ini can be wiped ready for the next match..

And that is a Big Job..

6. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

Sorry I don't see the problem.
    Regardless of what the actor may be, a Bot or a Player, it has to extend a Pawn, which at the end of the day can only be a Bot or a Player which fight in the game.
    So what I'm saying the Botz is a Bot or a Player, so whether its a Botz or a Botx or whatever, it's still a bot.
    UT does not allow C++ .h headers like in UT2004 so a modder cannot create a standalone player actor.

Regarding just making the abbreviations smaller just for one resolution, you have to be crazy, all that work for maybe a handfull of players.
    Thank you lucky stars you got 640x480, so don't push it :)

Regarding the Survivability, it had several problems in that sometimes you would get crazy displays like 465 or 999, basically it was a major fault in the code which I found and discussed with CB and it is now corrected.
    Also when the game ended, the Survivabilty was not updated which it now is.

*** Edit ***
    Just had a look at this FerBotz code.
    This guy has made his Botz a Native class, why I don't know but 'he' has chosen to be on the outside looking in so now 1000 modders must modify their mods to suite his, that will be the day.
    He could have extend the Bot class and had no real need to be a Native Pawn class.
    Anyway most admins have grief with master bots on their server and it in no means attracts players.
    Player do not like playing Bots unless they are pretty useless and easy to kill so the only place this mod has is on local PC.

7. Wises

Wises New Member

he has 2 versions of ferbotz.. for different reasons as you may see throughout the thread. also he has made a patch for smartdm i think so that they will work with it..

the tools that higor have made are like advanced bot pathing.. abolity to fly slv's .. able to lift jump.. able to use custom weapons in siege.. latest version.

he is also the developer of siege ultimate if you have ever played it.

so their is both .u and native botz which idk (I don't know) why exactly.

re:640x480 scoreboard.. if you just add somewhere even on connect as a console message SmartDM Stats best viewed @1024*768+ resolution that would be helpful for these players.. and seeing that they can actually record stats for sprees etc may start using higher resolutions.
    the thing about these players for the most part. is that they are competative.. and playing at these resolutions.. offers them the ability to play better then most players.

also note that many of them hide everthing from the screen including decals / lowgore / huds and weapons hidden. leaving only the basic health/armour and time..

but yes very much appreciated.. in terms of reducing the tags.. i was wondering if they were going to be a hard task.

tell me something .. please.
    how does the board system work?

like does it just display inline?.. x;y;z kinda thing?

and the background just a box calculated to whatever size and positioned to exact points on the screen woth the stats details merely overlaid?

i have invited him over to see if he can offer some input here.

start from the last post backwards and you will see some of the complications.

8. Wises

Wises New Member

can you see if you csn see timelimits and frag limits if using the custom.. gametype/gamename is set please?.
    cheers.

9. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

If you start in any resolution less than 800x600:

[​IMG]

Regarding how the board works.
    Personally I would like to re-write the whole thing from scratch as catering for all resolutions and all boards is a total nightmare.
    Remember we have 4 boards, DM normal, DM Slim, TDM normal and TDM Slim, so when you change something like abbreviation you have to do it 4 times.
    At the moment for a slight change because character widths differ for each resolution, then there is the Widescreen aspect as well and also remember this is a 14 year old game with technology that fell of the bus with pa.
    I see in Patch 451, UT now does ALL its calculations with 1280 and no longer 1024 or 640, basically they completely DUMPED 640x480 in Patch451.
    So if a player wants to play with 640x480 he must also be sure to only play on 436 servers.

So you are beginning to see what a friggin nightmare 640x480 has become and these players need to be educated.

10. Wises

Wises New Member

nice :)

yes I understand.. most my players are older guys with older PC's thats all ..

BTW.. 451 patch is a dud.. and has several serious issues.. which have never been fixed.
    now they did fix alot of things when UTPG had the go ahead to do so .. but they also broke a few.. like the UED (no longer works) with 451 Patch.

so most dev's will have 2 installs of UT.. to cater for the pros/cons of the engine overall.

11. Wises

Wises New Member

also do we now have the menu popup on connect with some kind of box which says tick if you don;t want to see this anymore?

or.. detects if a key is bound for the menu and stays closed unless opened.. was thinking in the menu you could have the message somewhere.

as for the boards I understand also.. and thats why only 1 other person Sp0ngeB0b has even attempted to make one for it.

after this release .. perhaps we should focus on making a better board display and perhaps an editor IDK..

12. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I have shifted that message up as it overwrote the UTPure logon stuff.

Menu does not popup on connect.
    No need for this as the default values will see the player ok.

13. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

UED works 100% with my Patch451.
    The patch I got is Patch451B

I changed that loggon message to display if you use 800x600 or less, so it now says:

Resolutions below 1024 x 768 are not recommended for SmartDM

14. Wises

Wises New Member

is 800x600 not really clear or the pickups etc go off board?

15. Wises

Wises New Member

do you have a beta for testing.. which I assume is ready for release?

also when I use custom game Names in the scoreboard the game title is all I see meaning no time limit or frag count is this normal>

16. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

When testing SmartDM or any other mod, remove all other mutators from your server then make a judgement call.
    The Frag, Timelimits everything works 100%.
    When you go onto my server when I'm testing, you don't see things missing.

1024x768 - BOOT: is missing
    800 x 600 - BOOT: AMPL: MONS: are missing
    640 x 480 - BOOT: AMPL: TPAD: MONS: ULTA: are missing + Dead Skull + Team Orders.

** Edit **

Just been onto my server and here are the 2 games with the new Game names, colors, Frag Limit and TimeLimit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are some good sites to teach you how to be a good admin :D

17. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

I've added a bEnabled to the GameInfo strings so you can enable/disable it without altering it :)

GameInfo[0]=(bEnabled=False,GameClass="",GameName="",Color="R=255,G=255,B=255")

18. ProAsm

ProAsm Active Member

19. Wises

Wises New Member

lol .. how to be good admin?

not sure I follow... :p

-----------APPENDED.
    actually no.. Players need to show a little respect towards admins / other players instead of acting like 12year old retards imo
    not sure about you.. But i've been playing this Whole Game .. Admin/Developer/Player everyday (just about) for nearly 10 years..
    the last 8 of which you yourself have been absent.. and the numbers have greatly decreased.

@release.. I get the distinct impression that there's some behind the back type stuff going on here. ;)
    I assure you that I have not intentionally released any Beta's out into the Public as it was not complete..
    as for having it on my server's .. yes because you can't tell if it works unless done in a live environment..

no players = no live test = problems later. (remember that)

however because you did not take my advice and make it Server-side Dependent then well of cause others will just help themselves to the cache and slap the rest together whilst eating McDonald's.. ;)

Also.. it is not my job as an admin to make my server's work with your mod.. but rather 'vice versa'. the downside of which is less interest in your mod and henceforth something that will be used on 2-3 server's instead of most. (for lack of compatibility)

Note that i don't take to well to BS and prefer that we all be on on page or not at all.

Re: Resolutions and such;
    i usually play 1024*768 myself when competing.. actually playing... and if my computer feels like behaving which is rare.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  20. Wises

Wises New Member

because of this behind the scenes stuff.. I may remove myself from future development as I think you guy's have your idea's and idiocies going on in the background and I really can't be bothered pushing shit uphill anymore.

no offense to you mate but Iam just the 3rd wheel here , of which you are the second.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013