1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[Skins] What should they be?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by edhe, Aug 26, 2005.

?

What should the character skins be?

1. Affected by lighting (ie dark in shade)

29 vote(s)
    56.9%
  2. Equally bright in the same lighting

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. Glowsticks

5 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Multiple colour choices for a multiple teams game.

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  5. High Gamma Textures

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. Animated (lights/patterns)

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  7. Persistently the same all the time without lights affecting

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Forcable

16 vote(s)
    31.4%
  9. Non-Forcable

13 vote(s)
    25.5%
  10. Cows.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. edhe

edhe ..dadhe..

Simple Poll, find out what people want in their skins for the game they want to buy.

Multiple Choice Poll, btw.

p.s. You should wait for the poll to get done before posting :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  2. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

huh? :con:

3. Da Spadger

Da Spadger Insert stupid title here.

Vote: Cows. :D:tup:

4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Wandering spirit

(haven't voted yet)
    Epic-style brightskins...that's "Persistently the same all the time without lights affecting", right?

Can't figure out what "Animated (lights/patterns)" is supposed to be :confused:

Prefered: non-forcable (otherwise, about 50% of the servers will be populated by Gorge's :shake: )

No cows either. Not that they aren't cool characters, but because their hitzone is too far off (otherwise, those 50% Gorge fock ...eeehm... Gorge forcers will use the cow model because it makes them harder to hit).

5. Sahkolihaa

Sahkolihaa Ow...

I think if skins go into dark areas the light on the skin it's self goes darker, as it would be good for sneaking up on people and for being stealth.

6. Persefone

Persefone Ms God!

Persistent cows in the dark armed with glowsticks.

7. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Forcable characters are a must! However, you shouldn't have to be a certain character to do it. If all characters have about the same base visibility like they should, there will be no problems with giving the ability to force models while being something completely different. This option isn't present in UT2004 because people would all force Gorge or Rylisa and play as Invisitrix.

Also, characters should be lit the same all the time (or at least have an option to be so). This game isn't about hiding in dark corners and picking people off unseen. Leave that to Noobstrike:Source and whatever your favorite flavor of WW2 sim.

8. Neophoenix

Neophoenix Bast's Pet

NO forced skins, NONE of that glow stick crap that is on every frigin server in the world, and it SHOULD be affected by lighting. [Rant] The bright skins were fine in UT2004, and the people that complained about not being able to see them either need glasses, or learn to adjust. Do you really think if you were playing a death match sport, that people would walk around looking like radioactive blueberries? I mean come on, its BS, and ugly as all hell. I can't even enjoy SP Arena Master because they force standard models on my CUSTOM bots, and everyone looks like they just came out of a nuclear reactor. I swear if I meet the guy that invented these skins I’m going to deck him for ruining my gaming experience. I mean they don't even allow those things to be client side dependant. If they were I can grantee you I would have that option turned off. :mad: :tdown: [End Rant]

9. Nosnos

Nosnos Nali

I the people competed in a sport that was not about the ability to spot your opponent or how long you can sit in a dark corner then yes I think they would wear clothes that makes it easy for others to spot them :) And I guess the people who "invented" the brightskins care more about how the game plays than how the game looks, which is what more people should do...

- Multiple colour choices for a multiple teams game.
    - Persistently the same all the time without lights affecting
    - Forcable

10. Neophoenix

Neophoenix Bast's Pet

I want to play the game the way it was meant to be played and forcing players to do otherwise is complete BS. If you going to make something that changes the gaming experience that much, and then force it down peoples throats you better make it client side selectable. And, no they would not be dressing like blueberries. I doubt the gladiators of Rome wore bight colors just so they could spot their opponents better from across the arena. And if you get fragged by someone you can't see, because their tactics are stealthier than yours, than you deserve to be dead. The game is about survival of the fittest. Which means people are going to have different tactics, so if you want to win, adjust to the situation, don’t bitch because his tactics were better than yours because you couldn’t see him.

11. Mr*Gibson

Mr*Gibson New Member

My vote was

- Glowsticks
    - Multiple color
    - Forceable

OK, I could change "Glowsticks" for " Persistently the same all the time without lights affecting" but i do prefer neoncolored skins.

/me likes UTComp ^^

12. 1337

1337 1337

I think it would be cool if instead of having teams with different colors, they could have a single standard DM skin and have teammates have some weird light of distortion effect around them. This would get rid of one reason, people prefer utcomp for competitive play.

It would also be nice if there weren't a lot of settings affecting player visibility in the .ini. In a lot of ways utcomp is better for the newcomer to the game and not for ">:0IAMZPROPUBBERALPHAMALE!>:0" because utcomp brightskins assures that everyone is playing on the same page, because utcomp player visibility settings are easily accessible by gui and they don't require a google search to learn how to use. UT99 was a lot about .ini settings at competitive levels. ut2k4 is much better in that aspect, because of utcomp.

How about instead of complaining about how brightskins make the game ugly, let's make it so brightskins aren't necessary to level the playing field and reduce the need to fool with the .ini in competitive games or even to know your not playing handicapped in a pub game. Reduce .ini and gamma setting's effect on player visibility. The only settings players should have to worry about are their binds and mouse sens which are accessible by gui.

FOV and mouse sens binds either should be completely disabled during online gaming or there should be server settings that disable it or a mutator that has added server setting options.

edit: The only reason I chose option 1 and prefer things being darker in shade, is because the player should still contrast with it's surroundings. It would be stupid if it just stayed the same color all of the time unless it was glowing. Darker when in the shade is good. But having a matrix-like model darker in the shade when I'm brighter in the shade is not good for competitive or fun gameplay, unless you are the lamer hiding in the shade with matrix. Equality, regardless of character model, .ini settings, or gamma settings is really needed if you don't want another utcomp mut, there is going to be one anyway, but it wont be as popular.

13. Rask

Rask New Member

+1...

14. Nosnos

Nosnos Nali

Who is forcing anyone to play on UTComp servers or to play with brightskins? And everything in UTComp is client side selectable... And no the gladiators didnt look like blueberries, but they didnt need it since they fought in an arena where they couldnt hide in shadows either, just out in the open where everyone can see them ^^

Again, playing with UTComp is just a gameplay preference, just like playing with the big head mutator or playing Onslaught instead of Deathmatch. If you dont like it then you dont have to play on those kinds of servers

15. Neophoenix

Neophoenix Bast's Pet

But you do, because 90% of the low ping servers have those ugly skins, so in that sence people are forcing others to play with those settings, even if they don't want to. And I have played UTcomp a few times and didn't see any option to disable forced models or the glow worm skins, same with arema master. I wouldn't be so pissed if they would just take two seconds to make these options client side selectable.

16. Nosnos

Nosnos Nali

Press F5 for the UTComp menu... And even if 90% of the servers uses UTComp doesnt mean you have to use it, set up your own server to your own liking... If people think that playing the game the way you like it is more fun than playing it any other way they will join...

17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Wandering spirit

I suggest you stop getting pissed, because those options were available from day 1 (at least in UTComp, though I know there's a way to configure the looks in TAM as well). Pressing F5 ingame brings up the menu; then choose "skins/models", select the team and how you want them to look. There you go...

You only will have to accept the fact that others might see you as a Gorge wearing a pink tutu.

EDIT: aw :( Nosnos beat me to it

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  18. The_Head

The_Head JB Mapper

Rock on Cows

19. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Hit the Home button to bring up the TAM menu. If that hasn't been bound, type 'menu3spn' minus the quotes in the console. Don't bash something if you don't know how to use it. :rolleyes:

20. Neophoenix

Neophoenix Bast's Pet

Ok, I checked it out they are there. It must have been an older version of UTcomp, because I remember scouring that user menu before and not finding it. As for the Arena Master, I found it under the list thx. I didn’t know about that one. Though as for the, "don't bash it if you don't know how to use it." A) if you think you are using it right that’s kind of impossible, and B) I’ll stop it as soon as all the *******s online stop doing the same thing with calling someone a noob just because they aren't as skilled in a certain game type.