Skinning Tools

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Nav said:
Anyone know any good UT2k4 skinning tools?
upaint for beginners
paintshop or photoshop for advanced users ;)

EDIT:
btw, this thread should have been posted better in the offtopic-section, IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Well as MaxX said Upaint for beginners. Good for viewing things created with paint shop pro and/or photoshop too.

Else UnrealED is great too since you have complete control of skins and shaders/final blends/panners etc. But it's more for advanced useres too since there's a load of stuff that needs to be set and corrected for optimal output for skins.

The tutorial section in this forum is also a great place to stop by before starting/asking questions about skinning ;)

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Photoshop doesn't open .utx files. If there are textures in a .utx you wish to export you can do so via UnrealEd (saves as .dds files). These can be opened as images in Photoshop using a dds plugin... Just search the forum for that :)

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
you also can take the textures in the upaint directory, they are all saved in png format and you can start with your first tries from scratch ;)

Then save the stuff as dds/bmp/tga.... (NOT jpg) and import it in UEdit

JoLTz

Jun 3, 2004
MäxX said:
you also can take the textures in the upaint directory, they are all saved in png format and you can start with your first tries from scratch ;)

Then save the stuff as dds/bmp/tga.... (NOT jpg) and import it in UEdit

EEk! from scratch?! I don't know the layout of the face and stuff though!

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Once you install uPaint, Nav, in the CD6\Extras folder you have a folder called SkinArt which has all the character images in there. Just copy that folder into your uPaint folder. You can then open each character and see exactly where everything is. Then just paint over it / whatever.

Most of us (I'd guess) didn't even know there were wireframes available until a while ago so it was pure guesswork for us too ;)

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
klasnic said:
Most of us (I'd guess) didn't even know there were wireframes available until a while ago so it was pure guesswork for us too ;)
You`re right ;) but I just loaded the skin in Upaint, colored the area blue/pink/whatever and looked what changed :lol:

JoLTz

Jun 3, 2004
yea thats what I was doing. My skin started looking noobish because of the paint brush, (when u stop, it goes a couple pixels ahead), so I coloured everything black except the eyesockets, eyes, and mask. (romulus skin). It looks good. and for the team skin, I used the mask for colour (red), and drew squigly lines diagonally on the body textures. In the perspective mode, you see randowm coloured lines everywhere on the body. I'm not sure If I'll take it out, but I like the look for now. I'm going to do the same for Blue team as well.

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
Nav said:
yea thats what I was doing. My skin started looking noobish because of the paint brush, (when u stop, it goes a couple pixels ahead), so I coloured everything black except the eyesockets, eyes, and mask. (romulus skin). It looks good. and for the team skin, I used the mask for colour (red), and drew squigly lines diagonally on the body textures. In the perspective mode, you see randowm coloured lines everywhere on the body. I'm not sure If I'll take it out, but I like the look for now. I'm going to do the same for Blue team as well.
do you have screenies?