Skin Test

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
Decided that I need to improve on my skinning speed. Set myself the task of skinning a head texture for UT2004 in only an hour.

I will post the results in an hour!

Wish me luck :D

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
Phew, done!

I extended the time to an hour and a half so I had time to work on the hair as well. An hour for the face and 30 minutes for the hair. I like the way it turned out, but it's definatley not good enough to be released as a skin :D
I think that the eyes are it's weakest element, which is annoying since they give a skin a lot of character... need to work on making eyes more realistic! I'd like to try and but a lot more effort into the hair next time as well, I may try doing just a 'hair test' next time, using an entire hour working on just the hair - this would also let me create an alpha map for the hair to make it look a lot better, I mean who has hair clumps into triangles at the tips like this guy's? :D

Anyway, here's the finished skin:

Here's the final product and the texture itself (resized from 1024x1024 to 256x256).

tfinal1.jpg

Here's the skin as it progresses.

tfinal2.gif

old_man_funk

Last edited:

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
After doing the enitre head in an hour and a half, I'm gonna spend the same amount of time of just the hair tonight. Will post the results later :eek:

old_man_funk

vanilla
Feb 17, 2004
UK
Ok, an hour and a half of painting hair :eek:
It turned out better than I thought it would, I tried a new method this time and it's definatley better than what I used to do when painting hair. I also created an alpha map to make it look more realistic, but the way that uPaint renders alpha masks on models makes it look kinda crap... it's better ingame :p

h1.jpg