UE3 - UT3 skeletal mesh unlit and normal problem?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jgibz

Nov 17, 2008
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new to the ue3, and I've been having trouble displaying the normals on my character. Also when I put the mesh into a map it looks completely black/unlit.

here are some screens:

Maya viewport:
mayaviewport.jpg

ue3 viewer:
viewer_problem.jpg

in game:
ingame_problem.jpg

Im using .tga for color, specular and normals, all 1024x1024
TIA for any advice

Last edited:

jgibz

Nov 17, 2008
damn, i don't have the original high res :( it's an older model and I lost the file but still have the normal map, from mudbox v1.0

anyone know of a normal texture editing software that can flip channels?

could the model showing up black be a result of the normal map?

*my material:
material.jpg

Last edited:

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
Open the normal map tga in photoshop, open up the channels tab, click on the green channel and invert it. Being black is nothing to do with your normal map, might be because you havent rebuilt your lights or the light is inside the character.

Last edited:

Anuxinamoon

Feb 4, 2009
If its a skeletal mesh you may need to set up your lights lighting channel to Dynamic.

Select your light. Hit f4. open up the lightings tab, find the lighting channels tab and check the Dynamic checkbox.