1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster's computer update thread

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by SkaarjMaster, Nov 27, 2008.

1. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

yeh, the PSU, I didn't even think about that. I'm not used to it being on the bottom (esp. with the bottom vent), so I just figured normal flow applied.:)

2. SkaarjMaster

Just got the old parts running in the new case today without any problems!:) I like the new Silverstone case and it has a lot of excellent features, but there are four minor features I don't like but can live with:

>> your optical and hard drives are not locked into their slots and can move a little when you're plugging in the IDE cords and power plugs (seems you can only screw in the screws on one side for the optical drives and the hard drives screw into the trays but can still move). The features are convenient, but there needs to be a way to lock the drives in-place better.

>> I'd prefer the plugs on the top to be in the front just below the on/off switch or even on the bottom part below the front fan.

>> they made the space for the PSU a little tight as I had to force my Enermax 550W in there (the bottom vent filter frame is probably slightly too thick).

>> the case doesn't seem that solidly closed at the rounded corners at the top.

Other than that I love the new case!:) Now I can work on getting things together for my new build.

QUESTIONS ON NEW BUILD:
    1) Do I need to use the 4-pin OR 8-pin extra CPU connector from the PSU to the MB with the E8600 Wolfdale Core2Duo chip? I was just going to use the 8-pin (2x4-pin) because that's the full connector on the MB (Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P). Is that OK?

2) What's the best way to split my power for the PCI-E connectors with this six(6) 12V rail PSU (Enermax Revolution85+ 850W)? Maybe one 8-pin non-modular (+12V3) to the GTX-280 video card 8-pin slot and one 6-pin modular (+12V5) to the GTX-280 6-pin slot. All the video card power would be supplied from +12V3 otherwise or does this really not make much of a difference? Then all the other power (fan controller, fans, possible one extra ATA-IDE device) could go through +12V4 and +12V6 with modular cables. I know even though they tell you it's six rails that some are connected together inside the PSU, but which ones?:eek:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. SkaarjMaster

Thanks man! I'll just use the 8-pin, because I wasn't sure and was just asking. Also, I'll try what I proposed for the PSU connections and see what happens.:)

4. SkaarjMaster

3) What orientation should I install the Noctua NH-C12P heat sink? It seems the heatpipes can go toward the RAM, away from the RAM or down, but not up. Any suggestions? I was just going to install it with them down, but the other two seem to be suggested by Noctua also.
    http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=18&lng=en#4

Here's an interesting article that suggests without overclocking the unpreferred Noctua method gives the best cooling:
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/741/1/

So, I'm guessing, if I combine the legit review and Noctua-recommended installations, that the pipes away from the RAM and toward the back of the case would be the best one or at least the way I'm thinking of doing it. Any thought?

4) um, the description of how far to tighten is a little lame. I tightened a little past when the screw hits top of spring, so I hope I didn't crack the core.:( I'll find out tomorrow night.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  5. SkaarjMaster

3) I just did it as I said

4) haven't fired it up yet, but should be tonight.

5) Can someone explain to me why I ordered 1066 RAM when my CPU and MB both can do 1333? The only thing I see right now at newegg for 2x2GB (4GB) configurations is that OCZ has some auto-notify 1200 RAM and Gskill has some insanely priced 1200 RAM that is basically 1066 overclocked anyway. There does not seem to be DDR2 1333 RAM widely available. I'm not overclocking, so that's why I'm wondering.

6. SkaarjMaster

looks like it works! I just need to figure out bios settings before installing windows.:)

Anyone have any idea why I'm showing the following settings:

CPU Clock Ratio: 8X >> I was expecting 10X
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio: +0.5 (that means 8.5X total)
    CPU Frequency: 2.83GHz (333x8.5) >> I was expecting 2.66GHz (266x10)

Memory Frequency: 1066 for SPD and Auto >> kind of expected

CPU Vcore: 1.25000 >> I believe this is what the E8600 runs at but not sure.

MCH/DRAM Reference: 0.900 >> bios manual shows 0.750

I wonder what happens if I set my DRAM Voltage to 2.1 and reboot?

The Advanced Timing Control page (tRRD through CMD) shows 4,4,8,68,4,0 right now >> seems a little higher than what's shown in bios manual (I believe I need to set the CMD to 2T here for my RAM)

Can I just go in and set the DRAM Voltage to 2.1 and the CMD to 2T and reboot or do I have to manually set other settings as well? I already know I should also set 5-5-5-15 for my RAM. Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. SkaarjMaster

OK, here are my final system specs (DVD burner, one HD, external HD not hooked up yet):

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8600 Wolfdale (3.33GHz, 1333MHz FSB)
    MB: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (FSB 1600/1333MHz, mem standard DDR2 1333)
    HS: Noctua NH-C12P
    RAM: Corsair 4GB(2x2GB) 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066 (PC2 8500) TWIN2X4096-8500C5
    VIDEO CARD: EVGA Nvidia GTX 280 (1GB)
    PSU: Enermax Revolution85+ ERV850EWT 850W
    HD: Two (2) Western Digital Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200rom 32MB cache SATA 3.0GB/s
    EXTERNAL HD: Seagate FreeAgent XTreme ST310005FPA2E3-RK 1TB 7200rpm USB2 IEEE1394a eSATA Black
    DVD-ROM: Asus E818A3T Black SATA 18X
    DVD Burner: Pioneer DVR-216D Black SATA
    FLOPPY DRIVE: Sony Black OEM

Let me know if you can help. I tried googling bios settings and it didn't help that much with these settings.

As an aside, what the f is with the new PnP/PCI Configurations settings in the bios? The PCI1 (or PCI2) IRQ Assignment seems to give control of assigning IRQs to the bios no matter if you pick Auto or the other choice. I usually let the OS control the IRQs and always say No to any bios IRQ control to keep it simple (I also say No to PnP OS on my older systems). What's the deal with this?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  8. SkaarjMaster

Before I fine tune, I definitely need to flash to latest bios or at least the one I want. I'll check to see what it's on now. Also, at another forum someone was telling me to not worry about setting the RAM voltage to 2.1 and that 1.9 should be fine (the MB start telling me that voltages could be dangerous at 2.1 or above). Ever heard of this? Here's the thread I'm talking about:
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1403521

Of course, now someone else is saying they have the same memory and they have to run it at around 2.1, but it looks like he doesn't have the exact same memory and he has an AMD chip so not sure what to make of that.

9. SkaarjMaster

I went ahead and changed it to 2.08V just for grins and giggles.:) That's just out of the "danger" range. Someone else did this online somewhere in my google searches, but I can't remember where. Probably won't screw things up. I have all the bios settings I want now and I wrote out an install plan last night, so I'll be ready to format the HD and install Windows tonight! I didn't have to flash the bios as the F6 bios is what the MB came with and it will work just fine for me.

Also, I'm running things outside the case now. Is this OK for the video card or is it going to overheat to temps I don't want?

10. SkaarjMaster

Someone forgot to tell me that you had to extract the SATA driver .exe contents to the floppy.......I just put the executable on there....um, ok, now it should work.:)

11. SkaarjMaster

No, I'm not using RAID, but I picked the ICH10R RAID driver because I thought I only had 4 choices........apparently, I had more (got an error that looked like possibly RAM issues) and then rebooted and picked the ICH10R AHCI and Windows started actually installing about 5 minutes ago. I set the SATA to AHCI and Native Mode. I know this might give XP trouble, but I'm going for it anyway.:)

12. SkaarjMaster

AHCI is working so far. I have two HDs installed and one DVD-ROM. I have the Nvidia 182.06s installed, but it could be a while before I install any games. I'll be moving stuff into the case tomorrow night and then hooking up the sound card and DVD burner.:)

13. SkaarjMaster

That might be a problem. I used to host pics on a friend's web site, but he doesn't have one anymore. What's the best way to post pics?

14. SkaarjMaster

I might have another option before Imageshack, but I should be posting pics sometime in April 2009!

rAt.8^].bAg, just wanted to let you know my brother just built a system and he's using the Enermax Infiniti 720W (as I suggested to him).:)
    EDIT: he also now has his replacement MB and it looks like slots 1 and 3 decided to work this time (same new MB as me); I helped him install the CPU with AS5, etc.

I also just found out last night that Drive Image 7 won't bootup from the CD to finish the backup process because it doesn't support the new SATA controllers or some crap like that even if I hit F6 during the Drive Image CD bootup and install the SATA drivers like I did when I installed windows. Seems Acronis True Image is the best imaging program. Anyone ever try this one?

EDIT: just read the manual for True Image and didn't like the Secure Zone feature. Just read the manual for Active Disk Image and liked it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  15. SkaarjMaster

I just downloaded the free 21-day trial of Active Disk Image and I was able to backup the C drive, but it won't let me restore the C: drive without a bootable Active Disk and I can't create that until I have a registered version of the software and the only way to get that is to buy it. What's the point of the 21-day trial if you can't confirm that the C drive backs up and restores properly? I guess we can say things like "Oh, pretty interface" and "I'm sure that would work fine once I payed for it". I don't have data on the other partitions yet. Sounds like a Catch 22 situation to me. What they really should have done is disable Raw imaging and a few other things and let people confirm that their system partitions can be restored without problems. I bet a lot more people would buy their product. I'm really pissed off right now, so I may let it stew for a few days.

16. SkaarjMaster

It really should be explained more concisely with the Active Disk Image free trial, but I did download the free version of Active Boot Disk and I made a boot disk and booted successfully from it. Looks like I'll be ordering this soon.

17. SkaarjMaster

No idea, I haven't installed my games yet. Will be soon though and I'll let you know.

18. Pyronious

Pyronious Good morning vietn.. Unreal!

wheres the pictures :O

19. SkaarjMaster

The pics will be coming soon, hopefully! I still have to install some more games to notice the coil whine though; it may have to wait until UT3.

20. SkaarjMaster

OK, I'll put a sh*tload of bots in DM-Falkenstein and see what happens? How exactly does it sound again? Should I be able to hear it with my case closed?