1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster's computer update thread

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting' started by SkaarjMaster, Nov 27, 2008.

1. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

Any idea which one has less driver issues with UT3 and doesn't f-up UT?

2. rAt.8^].bAg

rAt.8^].bAg Don't eff wid Gkublok

^ I don't know how Nv is doing driver-wise with UT3, but I can say this:

I did have problems in UT3 running some older Cats when I bought the 4870 a few months ago. I forgot now which version, (8.6 or 8.7?) but I could play just a few maps before I'd get freeze ups and crashes, sometimes only a minute or two into the first map. Very frustrating. I did a bunch of re-installs, etc. to no avail. :mad: I thought it was some of the UT3 bugs or the usual new GPU core issues, but finally I gave up and didn't play it.

Then a few weeks ago I installed the 8.10's and lo and behold - it's all good now. Very decent FPS and no fock-ups yet. :cheers:

3. [VaLkyR]Anubis

[VaLkyR]Anubis Foregone Destruction

It was the right decision to take a 280, to take a 4870X2 would be foolish. You know that when you gotta 4870X2, you get a lot of ****, performance problems, the game runs terrible and so on, even when the 4870X2 is "faster",but I love Nvidia. ;]

Oh well, acutally I never read something of overheating from the GTX280. I have a GTX260 and my temperature is great and even when I still had my 8800GT the temperature was good. I can't say anything about that, but you know, very often the VGAs get tested in systems, where the cooling is not good, because the using a normal case. VGAs like a GTX260 and GTX280 need a big case with good cooling and I know those cases aren't cheap, but hey you wanna have a VGA which has a long life, isn't it. :]

Marketing bull****, hahaha, somehow you are right Skakruk, but I also thought when a game has this symbol on it's cover, the performance would be better with Nvidia card than with a ATI VGA. Anyway, now I know it. :]
    Well SkaarjMaster, I gotta Leadtek Winfast GTX260, driver is 178.24 and I don't have any issues in UT3. The game runs perfectly, like the performance. Also the other Unreal games (Unreal / Unreal RTNP, UT, UnrealII, UT2004) don't have any problems with my VGA and it's driver. :]

4. SkaarjMaster

All right, another one with a Leadtek Winfast. It may be time for me to finally get a Leadtek. I've never had one, but have heard good things about them for many years. I checked newegg and they don't even have any listed.

5. SkaarjMaster

Is UT running the same story with OpenGL and the S3TC textures? That's the way I like to run it.

I guess the days of Leadtek and Gainward being slightly better than the rest of the pack are over.:)

Kinda sucks there is only 1 PATA slot in most, if not all, of these Intel Gigabyte boards (I'm guessing most of all the other brands as well). Why not 6 SATA and 2 PATA (scratches head)? I was hoping for 2 PATA slots for my CD/DVD devices (right now I have a DVD burner on one PATA and 2 DVD-ROMS on another; one DVD-ROM rips CDs better and the other rips DVDs better, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way). I guess I'll just use one DVD-ROM and the DVD burner. I'm not too excited to explore DVD SATA right now and I heard it could have all kinds of problems.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. rAt.8^].bAg

I dunno guys, my 2 SATA opticals (Samsung DVD/RW & Lite On DVD-ROM) have always been OK. Haven't made a coaster yet, but I don't do a helluva lot of burning either. The Samsung makes nice labels.

7. SkaarjMaster

I'll just keep using my old drives for a while and keep checking CDRlabs forums for any new or really good SATA drives. By the way, it looks like the DVR-216 sucks according to the newegg reviews.

8. rAt.8^].bAg

Yeah, it probably was mostly lame BIOS or setup issues, then n00bs reporting it as borky drives. :eek:

9. rAt.8^].bAg

BTW SkaarjMaster -

Those probs with 8.11 Cats might have been some guys doing flaky BIOS flashes on their 4870's back in July when they first hit, in trying to get higher volts and o/c's, or perhaps the new Cats didn't like the other BIOS. Some of them were using the 64kb vers. instead of 128kb, which is wrong and nuked their cards. I know some guys that borked the flash but did get them restored to original BIOS.

I bought one of the first 4870's out, but haven't flashed mine yet. No big reason to since it handles all the gaming I've thrown at it so far, but I might just to see what my max o/c could be.

I must be getting lazy...:hmm:

10. SkaarjMaster

Actually, more than one person at a few forums seem to have problems with the 8.11 cats and they're saying the 8.10 cats are a lot better, but it's looking like Nvidia for me right now anyway.

11. rAt.8^].bAg

That could well be. I haven't read much on the 8.11's yet.

So yeah, go grab an Nv and be happy!

12. SkaarjMaster

Well, if I bought those parts today including Arctic Silver 5, it would be $1,634.36. That includes the 850W Enermax and the GTX 280 (eVGA I believe) and everything from newegg except the Arctic Cooling Freezer EXTREME from sidewindercomputers. Interesting......we'll see what it's like in a month or two.:) Of course, this doesn't include the cheap-a$$ case and stuff I buy to keep my old system running for a while.;) Then there's the 1TB external HD (or at least close to it) for a second backup location, then there's............and...........and...............

13. rAt.8^].bAg

newegg doesn't always have the best prices that's for sure. On this last rig, I think bought the RAM, monitor, floppy, and OS from them. The rest I got elsewhere.

There always something extra to get...

14. SkaarjMaster

Do you remember some of the elsewheres with good reseller ratings? My links are from 4-5 years ago, so I'll have to catch up on that aspect.

15. rAt.8^].bAg

Yep. I've bought stuff from these with no probs:

directron.com
    proadvantage.com
    zipzoomfly.com
    xoxide.com
    tigerdirect.com
    jab-tech.com
    heatsinkfactory.com
    frozencpu.com
    svc.com

There are more but that'll get you started. :)

16. SkaarjMaster

I'm familiar with 5 of those sites, so I'll have to check the others out as well. 3 more that I've ordered from in the past with no problems are:

eXcaliberPC
    Monarch
    Mwave
    :)

I remember Directron had good prices, but there site was a terror to navigate. Have they changed that yet?

17. rAt.8^].bAg

I think Monarch has folded their tent. Directron seems OK enough to navigate, not sure if they've changed their look or what.

18. SkaarjMaster

I've narrowed it down to 15 different PSUs from 701W to 900W by Enermax, Silverstone and PCP&C. I just printed out the specs of each and will look them over later.

EDIT: and now down to 13 because two didn't have the necessary PCI-E connectors for the GTX280 card.

I have a question on the main connector/CPU plugs for the motherboard. Do I need a 24-pin main, 8-pin CPU and 4-pin P4 connector? If so, the Enermax specs show the first two but not the last one (PCP&C shows all 3) and Silverstone seems to show all 3 (last two as 8pin EPS12V and 4pin ATX12V).

Second question: Just because a PSU has 4-5 +12V rails and they total more than the one or two rails on another PSU, is the first one necessarily better (assuming everything else is relatively the same)?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  19. rAt.8^].bAg

I'm not sure which Enermax's you're looking at, but the I-720 has the 8-pin (4+4) ATX12V1 (upper left corner over HS):

[​IMG]

Also has both 8 (6+2) & 6-pin leads for the GPU:

[​IMG]

So both Infiniti's and both Galaxies have them, the G-1000 has another 8 & 6 set for 2 GPUs.

No, because usually, two or more of the "rails" are tied together inside to the same leg or transformer, so they're not really independent rails. One is just pulling juice from the other, etc. The "multiple rails" thing is largely marketing hype. It doesn't really matter as long as you have enough of the right connectors for your rig, and each +12 output can supply the current needed to the particular component(s) it's driving.

That's why many modular PSUs are actually "semi-modular" - where the Main Power (24-pin & 8-pin) and GPU Power (8 & 6-pin) leads are separate and non-detachable, or just 1 is detachable, so they get the correct amperage and less chance of overloading one rail.

Well, that's the shorter explanation anyway.

The PSU should perform it's ratings under actual loads and heat conditions, and a lot of "reviews" don't or can't measure them properly. Read more at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/181.

Some of the high output PSU's have 2 separate transformers (I think the G-1000 does, some of the bigger Cooler Masters did, a few others). But again, most people would never utilize even 1/2 their power.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  20. rAt.8^].bAg

^ Yes, it uses a floppy drive jack. It's mounted above the GPU. The I-720 has a Molex -> 2 FDD adapter, but it isn't long enough to reach both so I used a separate adapter to the Xonar. Unfortunately I only had a white one instead of black - :eek:

[​IMG]

A shot of the window:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008