Skaarj Fest problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

v0rTeX

Sep 6, 2004
Hey guys,

Firstly, great work on an exciting new twist to the game. This is very addicting to play around with.

Now for the problem, everything seems fine when I run Skaarj Fest DM, but when I switch it over to Skaarj Fest INV, people keep crashing out of the server when they morph into other monsters. I have had this happen as well. Here is the text of the game crash. (What few times it actually pops up.)

Code:
UT2004 Build UT2004_Patch_[2004-07-27_14.28]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2090 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: RADEON 9800 XT  (6467)

PawnTDMWTF DM-sHoK-PingPong]I[2k4.PawnTDMWTF (Function WtfSkaarj.PawnWTF.Tick:0822) Runaway loop detected (over 10000000 iterations)

History: FFrame::Serialize <- UObject::ProcessEvent <- (PawnTDMWTF DM-sHoK-PingPong]I[2k4.PawnTDMWTF, Function WtfSkaarj.PawnTDMWTF.Tick) <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=3) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Ping Pong ]I[ <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 676F4C57 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Now since I didnt work on the project and have no idea how to do things like this I have no idea what is really causing it. My initial thought was that it has something to do with how the INV type treats it as team DM somehow. In normal invasion there are never team icons on the top of the HUD.

Also, my setup is on a dedicated server and the only thing running with SF was Zound4.6, Quad Jump, Regeneration, and satore 116. I tried my best to stay away from anything modifying the pawns or weapons so I did not use the monster config part of satore.

Parser

Hello
May 7, 2002
England baby!
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
Ignition has these problems when playing on a SFDM server online, and I still don't know what could be causing it.

First off, are these players using custom player models? Try putting force default player model on and see if people who change back to normal models still crash.

v0rTeX

Sep 6, 2004
Well, I havent tested the team deathmatch type yet so I will try to get that done so I can provide better feedback.

As for the skins, I dont think anyone was using anything special. Just the standard skins and maybe a couple from the CBP2. I don't think I will force default skins on anyone just yet since I run multiple gametypes and have several people who are regulars.

If no one else has posted about this problem or figured out a solution in a few days, then I will force the skins to try and figure it out.

TheDruidXpawX

Sep 7, 2004
Same here

PawnTDMWTF DM-Oceanic.PawnTDMWTF (Function WtfSkaarj.PawnWTF.Tick:123B) Runaway loop detected (over 10000000 iterations)

History: FFrame::Serialize <- UObject::processEvent <- (PawnTDMWTF DM-Oceanic.PawnTDMWTF, Function WtfSkaarj.PawnTDMWTF.Tick) <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=3) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Oceanic <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 676F4C57 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

TheDruidXpawX

Sep 7, 2004
Another problem I've noticed is that if this is running with UT2004RPG and RPG Weapons are enabled, the whole thing goes right in the crapper. (I'm guessing because RPG Weapons are all subclasses of RPGWeapon that have a Weapon member.) I've mutated this on my server to have a version of RPG that doesn't allow weapons to be spawned for this game type, but it's a kludge at best.

It'd be nice if it could be fixed, as the rest of RPG appears to work reasonably well with it.

TheDruidXpawX

Sep 7, 2004
Other bugs of note

Naliwarcow poops kill teammates, even when team damage is not on.

Adrenaline pickups are entirely disabled (Is that on purpose?)

My players are reporting if you morph into a titan in an area too small for you, your client crashes.

Lots of people (Me included) getting that runnaway loop bug. I'm playing with the standard brock skin, nothing special. My server, like v0rTeX's server plays numerous other game types, so I dont want to force the default skin.

Our server is an running linux and the amd64 binary, if that may be making a diference.

Feel free to stop by and see... unreal://disastrousconsequences.com

Awesome! Awesome! mut though. My players are having a blast, even though they tend to drop out regularly ;)

Druid

Last edited:

TheDruidXpawX

Sep 7, 2004
Ok, this seems to excercise the runnaway loop.

Playing SkaarjFest invasion on CTF-FaceClassic
Grab the GasBag
While moving forward, jump in the air
Mutate to the gasbag while you're in the air.

v0rTeX

Sep 6, 2004
Okay, last night I enabled Skaarj Fest TDM on my server so it could be tested. All people who played it are reporting that it was stable. At least on my server, the INV version is the only one that is crashing people out of the game.

Druid, when you tested it with RPG, did you try disabling magic weapons? I haven't gotten to testing it yet but since RPG's magic weapons feature chaneges the weapons heavily through some code hacks, I thought it would be a conflict. I also thought if you turned magic weapons off you might be able to run the two together.

TheDruidXpawX

Sep 7, 2004
v0rTeX said:
Druid, when you tested it with RPG, did you try disabling magic weapons?

Yes. I extended the RPG mutator so that it wouldn't spawn the magic weapon pickups, and hence disabled magic weapons just for this game type. It's a kludge, but it works.

The other features of RPG (At least the skills I have) appear to work well. Regen works, I believe the added health works, although I havent tried it without RPG as to know what the monsters base health is.

Druid

unreal://disastrousconsequences.com

Parser

Hello
May 7, 2002
England baby!
fraghouse.beyondunreal.com
Hey Druid, which patch version is the server running, and which patch versions are your clients running?

See, I've noticed a pattern. I don't notice any crashes when testing on my local server - both are patched to 3270 (public) and have no problems. Mazza runs 3270, has tested it from the very start and has had no crashes.

Last night, I joined a server running one of the beta patches. Uh oh, I crashed out when morphing.

Nurulwai's rented server (woo! :D) is running 3270 afaik and so is he. No problems for me, him or Underscore during some games.

So maybe it could be patch incompatabilities?

TheDruidXpawX

Sep 7, 2004
I'm using the 3270 patch on my windows machine as well as the official linux 3270 patch on my server (The beta 3270 didn't come with an amd-64 binary)

I'm on windows, but the server is an AMD 64 and is running 64 bit linux (FC2) with the 64 bit binary.

v0rTeX

Sep 6, 2004
My server was installed from the original free dedicated server download and then updated directly to 3270 with the retail patch.

My client is running on 3270 and I have installed every patch released in order in a sort of daisy chain of upgrades.

Both computers (server and my client) are running windows XP. Server has SP2 installed. Client has SP1.

I didnt start crashing initially, but then after other people started complaining about it then I crashed a few times. Then it became every time I morphed. Most noteably when morphing to brute or warlord.

As for the people who play on my server I am confident that a handful run 3270 but I really cant tell about the rest.

TheDruidXpawX

Sep 7, 2004
I think you might have hit on something there. I had one player who said she had played all night without it crashing but once we got a bunch of people in the game, she crashed all the time...

v0rTeX

Sep 6, 2004
Possibly, when we first started playing it there were only 2 or 4 of us. I suppose its possible that if another player (or enough players) were in the match that their morphing could have some unseen result based on the other players that causes them to crash.

This would make more sense if Player A morphed and Player B crashed as a result. But every case I have seen involves Player A morphing and Player A crashing as a direct result of the morph. So the short term answer is, if you dont morph you cant crash. LAME.

The brain bender: If I am playing the game on my 3270, and someone joins with their 3236 patch, will his client change the way the pawns are represented. So if this happens and the pawns are somehow affected by older patches joining my server, would this cause the crash when I morph?

If that is the case then we just have to tell everyone they HAVE to have 3270 for this to work. I still would like to know why there are blue team and red team icons in invasion mode? I understand that in invasion you are considered the red team but in regular invasion there are no score icons in the HUD.

Last edited:

v0rTeX

Sep 6, 2004
Alright, news update.

Friday night I convinced the guys on my server to help me test SF invasion. I checked with all of them before doing so and they told me they all had the 3270 patch. There were 3 of us and we started playing and no crashes. A 4th guy joins us and he crashes out. He is also running the 3270 patch. He comes back and never crashes again. But, once he came back one of the original 3 guys crashes out once. When he gets back we all play for 45 minutes or so and no crashes the rest of the match.

Saturday, LAN party at a friends house. We all have the 3270 patch installed. 4 of us playing and not a crash the whole time we played it.

At first it seemed as if having the newest patch cures everything but with a couple of crashes to disprove that it just seems that having all 3270 patches seems to simply improve the defense against a crash.

TheDruidXpawX

Sep 7, 2004
This sounds like some race condition with replication where the server may not have sent information to the client in time. Especially since you say when you were playing it on your LAN that you never crashed.

I understand they made some replicaiton/bandwidth improvements in 3270, maybe this speeds it up enough that it doesn't happen all the time.

This theory makes even more sense as more players sign on and when they do we seem to have this problem more.

Also, I've now seen occurances where the runnaway loop happens as soon as a player enters the game... without any morphing whatsoever...

Any ideas?

TheDruidXpawX

v0rTeX said:
Saturday, LAN party at a friends house. We all have the 3270 patch installed. 4 of us playing and not a crash the whole time we played it.

At first it seemed as if having the newest patch cures everything but with a couple of crashes to disprove that it just seems that having all 3270 patches seems to simply improve the defense against a crash.

TheDruidXpawX

Sep 7, 2004
I'm so confused...

v0rTeX said:
[edit]

nevermind, had cache records problem, solved

I'm unfamiliar with a "Cache records problem" did this fix the crashing, and if so, how did you fix it?

v0rTeX

Sep 6, 2004
sorry I guess I need to clarify this, I had a problem...

my weapons crosshairs werent there one day,
I started looking through the weapons priorities list,
none of the default weapons were there,
the skaarj fest powerups were there,
I blamed it on SF and posted here,
then I realized none of the default gametypes were listed in instant action either,
so I recompiled the games master cache record (basically a database of all UCL files),
everything was fixed,
then I edited out my post here since it was through no fault of SF

happy ending :lol: