1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Since when is Firefox faster than Chrome!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DarkED, Jan 14, 2013.

1. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

Since when is Firefox faster than Chrome?

So I have an old laptop I use for emulators and music in my room.

*AMD Sempron 2ghz
    *768mb DDR
    *80GB IDE drive
    *Mobility Radeon Xpress 200

Yeah, the system spec is pretty crap (it even has a 'Vista Capable' sticker for the lulz.) It's running my own custom re-spin of XP Pro with a large portion of the crapware removed and all the services tweaked.

I've been running Google Chrome on it since I can remember, but with recent updates Chrome has become increasingly slow and jerky on this old machine. It got to the point where I dreaded even needing to run the app. Even after loading it was very jerky and would frequently lockup my system for a few seconds when trying to load pages. I tried a bunch of stuff to 'fix' the problem; clearing my entire user history, CCleaner, defragging with MyDefrag and Auslogics. Nothing worked so I think it was just Chrome.

I finally got fed up with it and tried a bunch of lightweight browsers. Qupzilla was pretty awesome but just didn't work the way I wanted. K-Meleon is lightning fast but the latest build is three years old and it lacks major features (it's so outdated it doesn't even work with our webmail.)

I gave Firefox another shot and it's smooth as butter! It loads in about a second and pageloads aren't much slower. With the Fasterfox extension it's even a little quicker. This is compared to 10-15 second load times and 3-5 second pageload/lockup times with Chrome.

When did this happen? I thought Firefox was the bloated and slow one.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. cryptophreak

cryptophreak unbalanced

Doesn't sound like a conclusive test; if you've got a lightweight, LiveCD-capable Linux distro handy (which I suspect you do) you might compare them that way. I'd sooner guess an issue with your setup than the Chrome product.

3. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

Firefox is my friend :) ... since 0.92.

4. NRG

NRG Master Console Hater

Do you have a bunch of extensions? That significantly increases the resources required to start and run Chrome, especially if don't have "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome" unchecked in the settings. I find that a completely fresh install of Chrome is definitely more lightweight than Firefox still, yet you can quickly surpass Firefox in demand with extensions. However my Chrome stays speedy with extensions, unlike Firefox.

Don't know how you're having a different experience.

5. Al

Al Reaper

Word. I never went over to the Chrome side. Sure, I've tried it, but it just doesn't feel or look right.

6. Zur

Zur surrealistic mad cow

Mozilla decided to fix memory leaks early last year. That included plugins. This probably explains that.

7. Zxanphorian

Zxanphorian ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeah, I still use Firefox. The only times I use Chrome are Incognito Mode and syncing bookmarks to my phone.

8. Al

Al Reaper

Dolphin Browser = best browser for Android

:)

9. Manticore

Manticore Official BUF Birthday Spammer

+1. I tried Chrome years ago but didn't really like it.

10. dr.flay

dr.flay Dr.Flay™

People forget so easily.
    Firefox was invented as the small and lean, little brother to the full Mozilla browser.
    Mozilla died as a browser, because every one thought they only wanted fast and small.
    Firefox has taken the place of the full browser, and is no longer the tiny speedy beastie, as fast and small does not equals flexible and functional.

This is what will happen to Chrome.
    As it has evolved, it has become bloated to hell (but as you don't SEE the changes, you don't know).
    It is larger than you think.
    If you clear your cache before removing Chrome, you will be stunned to find that when you un-install Chrome, you will get about 1 GB back.

Any one any idea why Chrome is using that kind of space?

Then again I have to advise anyone using Chrome, to be aware that they are using spyware/key-logging software, with all of their net activity being sold to who ever requests it (including me, if I want it).
    Chrome is the worlds biggest security threat, but people think that is OK.
    Hack Google's database, and you have the world by the balls.

Also Google's way of fixing security threat rankings, is to make a whole new revision update. Thereby each new version immediately has a clean bill of health (ie. it has not been complained about yet).
    Why do you think the worlds youngest browser, has the highest version numbers.

As if to underline how NOT slim, and NOT small Chrome is, It just kicked in with an update and dragged this internet Cafe's PC to a standstill.
    I am using Opera (actually small, fast and flexible) Chrome is not loaded (...or is it !!!), but it just decided it was more important than anything I was doing.
    It did not ask, or notify that it was updating (this is a bad thing).
    *SEE THE ATTACHED PIC*
    During the last 10 minutes, I could not use the PC, as Chrome just robbed all the RAM and started hammering the swap-file. It peaked some-where over 300MB (this PC only has 512MB), whilst constantly using over 90% of the CPU (it would have used 100% if I were not using other software).

So if you have limited RAM and or a slow CPU, Chrome will make your PC have an "ice-cream head-ache".

If you are concerned about security of your personal information and browsing habits, never continue browsing after logging into your Google account on any browser, as they follow you as you blindly send them info.

If you think Google have the right to sell your info, then you should ask for your cut. You have that right too, and you are probably owed plenty of money if you have used Chrome for a long time.

Attached Files:

11. Renegade Retard

Renegade Retard Defender of the newbie

Word

12. Big-Al

Big-Al amateur de bière

indeed as much as I like google & that they have always heavily donated to firefox... i don't like their update software (or chrome)

13. leilei

leilei ANIME ELF'S !!

I used to use Seamonkey until it hit version 2.0. It was faster than the latest Firefox at the time, ironic for a full suite browser.

Firefox is fast for you right now probably because it hasn't had the time to build up its history.

If you want a seriously fast browser (and i'm not preaching), try Opera. It's the only usable modern browser I can use on Pentium-class machines (which can't even run Unreal well) other than OffByOne :(

Webkit browsers are all a lie.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  14. DarkED

DarkED The Great Oppression

Eh, these days Chrome isn't so speedy on my fairly-powerful desktop either. I was thinking it was time for yet another Windows 7 reinstall, but now I think it's just Chrome.

I actually have Xubuntu 12.04 installed in a dual boot setup on this laptop. Chromium was just as slow over there as Chrome was on Windows, but that could honestly be a Xubuntu issue. Oddly enough, lots of things (like LibreOffice) are slower on Xubuntu than they are on XP. Maybe an ATI driver issue, I dunno. I'd switch to something even lighter but Crunchbang sucks now and Lubuntu... well, let's just say I'm not crazy about LXDE.

Nope, none except AdBlock.

That does explain a lot; Firefox is using what seems to be a reasonable amount of RAM now. Definitely not like the days when it was approaching 1GB with only a few tabs open.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  15. KJAX

KJAX Gamer 4 Life

When Firefox started getting all bloated and slow, I switched to Chrome. Now Chrome is getting a bit bloated so I'll likely switch back since the FF problems seem fixed now.

16. Tux Android

Tux Android (hiatus on UT series)

I'm using Firefox for 3 years, suddenly it keeps freezing on startup after I moved to Opera (upgrading to the latest version of FF still freezing on startup), but I think FF has good (and less) memory usage though. On the other side, Opera has great features and fast load in tabs, not only that it keeps slow because of large page size. But still, both of them are still my two favorite browsers in town. Go figure! ;)

But as for Chrome, it's the most popular browser in the world according to StatCounter. It's very fast in terms of your rig and people are expected to grow more by using Chrome (not only that Firefox and IE are dying because of Chrome), however there are too many chrome.exe(s) on the Task Manager menu because of tabs and makes Chrome's RAM/memory very high and frantic. Although, it's not safe for me and you guys.

PS: If you want more faster, try Maxthon, the king of HTML5 (tried and fast but lacks of many features like privacy protection).

17. Al

Al Reaper

I'm pretty sure after using Firefox for YEARS, its had plenty of time to do whatever it is you said.

Having built up browser history will make your browser slow. Right. Gotcha.

18. cryptophreak

cryptophreak unbalanced

What happened to #! since I last looked at it? Seemed neat enough.

19. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Firefox puts all plugins into a plugin_container process that typically ends up eating all your memory.

20. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster enemy of time

Chrome updates?

I must be missing something. I never see my Chrome update at all. Maybe I have a setting checked wrong or something (or right in this case).;) I have "Do Not Track Me" running also.