1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SilverIbex's High-Quality Terrain

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by O_DoGG, Jan 9, 2006.

1. TerOmen

TerOmen Member

btw. On your site

"Note, you may want to keep some models such as tall trees and street lights as separate parts, since if the mesh center is not within the players field of view, the mesh is not rendered by Unreal, for example if a tree is a single mesh with the center in the trunk, when the player looks straight up, the overhanging leaves and branches will disappear since the player is no longer looking at the trunk, a problem that could be avoided by simply using two parts for the tree, a trunk mesh, with a separate upper foliage mesh."

SpriteProjForward: 32
    Change it to something like 128. Problem solved.

2. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

dejavue, or Project I.G.I?

BTW, someone has to notify Beppo about this, this might be the green light for UT2007 ;).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  3. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

You could also set the "bAlwaysrelevant" to true. It works, although it's not really recommended, for whichever reason i can't remember (might be due to performance issue).

4. Vega-don

Vega-don arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

antkilla, make maps now now now! with that technique. and silver too;)

5. DOSU

DOSU New Member

Problems

Ok i a noob in map mapping but i tried it too..

I make a Brush in C4d wich was 19380 UU in X and Y Way all Grid points are 512 UU far away from each other ...all points are on the Ut grid (i think so because i set all point on the grid in c4d) ..i triangulate all polygones...but if i import this Brush and substract it there are still Holes in map and i dont know why????

Pleas Help! What could i have made wrong?

6. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

Could we see a screen shot of the mesh? I need to see it to figure out what is wrong.

And post the mesh model or preferably the Terragen terrain .ter file to if you want the fastest help :)

I am happy to see someone is working on a new Inf terrain map, I will help the best I can.

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  7. DOSU

DOSU New Member

hmm im not sure but perhaps i found the mistake ...i set the points in all axis (x,y,z) on the grid ..perhaps some points moved from their z,x positions to a gridpoint next ...i tested now to set the points only on the y-axis on grid and it seem to work ..but i will test it ..perhaps im a bit hasty..we will see ...

:D l i will sure report back!

MFG

8. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Such maps are awesome. The question is, how much "stuff" you can pack in? If it is possible to have many trees and some buildings in there, than this technology is the answer.

9. DOSU

DOSU New Member

i dont know ..i will test it what is possiible if i dont have problems like this in futur ..perhaps sombody can help me i maping since ..yet :) but at first i will learn a bit more ;)

MFG

The problem with this technic is .. that you cant use spotlights or flare in this map it would dont work on the ground but i think thats a good price for a fine map XD

hmm what i would like to know too ..would it work to mak e mesh for ground instead of a brush and would that useful??

Last edited: May 17, 2006
  10. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

A mesh would not work well for ground with the way UT99 uses mesh actors.

Maybe for a skybox deco such a mesh could be used.

11. DOSU

DOSU New Member

And again i have the same Proplem now i tried to use a a grid with a bit more polygons ...alle points are on the grid but there a still holes ??

is that a Problem of textures (i used a 128x128 sized one) or is that map too big ?

I hope you can help me :)

Attached Files:

12. DOSU

DOSU New Member

OK i hop i have solved this propblem now and know on which way i have to handel this :\

here i testet a "desert-" terain (16384x16384 UU)

at the moment i use a surface image of the hole map and put it over the hole map ..thats way the textur is a bit ugly at the moment but the hills are a round thing XD

the mapping technick must i read again i dont understand how you make this without having borders ..

MFG

Attached Files:

13. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

I looked at it and found the two problems :)

One is overlapping triangles on the walls, this is something that makes errors in any BSP brush, must be careful during joining vertexes so as to avoid this.

Second is that there are to many triangles for a UT99 brush, luckily there are free programs that can acuratly lower poly count while retaining landmark points. I use the demo version of Leveller for this, since it imports 128x128 Terragen terrain files which can be exported back out with the Export “Tmesh...” command.
    http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/

This exports the Terragen terrain as an optimized VRML mesh as a corner patch of a larger 256x256 mesh.
    The quality of optimization can be seen in the attached pics, to notice the difference you really have to be looking at a none textured 3D wire frame :cool:

I then load it up and convert it with AccuTrans 3D into a Milkshape importable format
    http://www.micromouse.ca/

From there I load it up in Milkshape, delete the extra faces, extrude to a box and optimize the walls be merging vertexes.
    http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

I would recommend these three programs, for anyone doing UT99 brush terrain, they are free for download, and the demo editions do all that you would need for UT99.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2006
  14. DOSU

DOSU New Member

hmm ok overlaping Triangles °° will make some things on your way ;) a big THX!!!!!!

MFG

Last edited: May 19, 2006