1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SilverIbex's High-Quality Terrain

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by O_DoGG, Jan 9, 2006.

1. O_DoGG

O_DoGG Le Boner

I figured I'd give a FYI for those who don't check BU's main page:

SilverIbex's high quality terrain tutorial

Check the demo map, its geometry is so impressive. I'm now dreaming of a large terrain map taking advantage of this :rockon:

2. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I hereby command Ibex to make a new map using this technique.

Seriously, this is great stuff. Makes me wanna map again... The only downside i see is that the texturing method looks great for overall view but is quite ugly at close range. Well, you can't have it all with such an engine.
    I beg Ibex to use this for a new map. Please.

edit : Ibex said that he deliberately used a reduced texture size for the test map, which leads to think that the poor quality at close range could very much be improved. This is really astounding.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  3. FieldMedic

FieldMedic Less good UT Player ever

Absolutely awesome terrain for this good old unreal engine.
    First Inf 2.75 Extended, now that high quality terrain, SilverIbex is a genius [​IMG]

4. Vega-don

Vega-don arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

omg? that means we stick to inf2.9 and make maps with that tool?

5. ravens_hawk

ravens_hawk New Member

I rather see that method applied to UT2k4 or 2k7, then to an aging UT engine with all it's limitations. But what do I know...

6. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

For those interested purely in tactical MilSim applications of this, the terrain for the demo map was generated from real world topographical data, following this tutorial http://terranuts.com/index.php?page=real_world

Combining this with Google maps info that lets you find the GPS coordinates, lets one quickly mock up detailed Virtual representations of actual locations with 3dem, Terragen, 3Dmax, and Ued, of a size large enough to be of use as a practical simulation.
    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/General_Scale_And_Dimensions

You probably will not get photo real results with the old UT99, but it would sure be an improvement over the default ground texturing method.

7. Vega-don

Vega-don arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the only problem is that is outt of scale.
    i know now how to make makes with terragen,so this scale thing can be solved, but import and export it would require some skills and time..

8. zeep

zeep :(

nice don so make a map now immediately kthxcu au revoir.

hehe

9. .Nova.

.Nova. Hate

Poor bots. They were doomed from the begining.

10. Midwinter

Midwinter sneaky bastard

Hehe, true, i guess Silver_Ibex didn't make the map with "playing it with bots" in mind. The test map is awesome... I wonder how big can maps be using this technique :p

BTW, i have around 100 FPS in the test map with a 3.0GHz P4 and an old Geforce3 card.

Thank you for this, Silver_Ibex. It's a bit too late for INF i fear, but still I was impressed when I loaded the test map and tried it :tup:

Attached Files:

11. zeep

zeep :(

50 fps avg. 2mhz cpu with 9800pro gfx.
    too bad the snow texture looks blurry upclose.

12. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

As said in my edit, this can very much be helped.

13. ravens_hawk

ravens_hawk New Member

Dude I don't know many textures that don't look like crap up close. And I'm sure if someone picked the right scale it might look better.

14. TerOmen

TerOmen Member

I've been making this kind of stuff in unreal for about 6 years so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

You can use 3dmax "optimize" to reduce polygons. Ued will let you use a 2048x2048 texture. You can cut a 4096x4096 file into 4 textures and cut the brush up into 4 chunks in 3dmax and then align everything and it will work fine in ut.

15. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

Hmmm, I have found anything at 1024 or over gets mipmaped down to 256 in UT, so one might as well make the ground texture tiles 512 for each piece, unless there is a special way to do it to avoid this excessive blurring.

TerOmen would you be willing with 3Dmax to Scale the mesh, align/snap vertexes to a Ued matching grid, check the texture alignment on the brush, and export it back out as an ASE, for other mappers that may not have 3Dmax (like myself)?

If someone with 3Dmax could do that, I would look into making a map intended for actual play.

Right now going through TrueSpace to get an ASE file takes some of the vertexes off grid, which can cause BSP collision errors.

16. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

The default D3D will scale down to 256x256, but the enhanced OpenGL will handle up to 2048x2048 (I think). So it's worth keeping them :).

17. Silver_Ibex

Silver_Ibex Member

Ah:) did not know that:tup: any links you would recommend on to how to get it installed/setup?

18. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

19. TerOmen

TerOmen Member

You would be better off posting the heightmap on here and letting me import that into max at any resolution(32,64,128) you want(and optimized).

I also have a max to t3d converter(map format, not brush format) that can sometimes help get rid of errors.

It can also import unrealed maps to max for optimizing/editing ;)

20. TerOmen

TerOmen Member

Silver: This real world stuff is really cool. Sorry I didnt get a chance to read the entire topic before but that is really neat basing on real elevation maps.
    Can't wait to try one :D