1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Silicon Knights Licenses UI Tech

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Oct 19, 2005.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

According to Gamasutra, noted Unreal Engine developer (and of Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes fame) Silicon Knights has licensed Anark Gameface technology for creating the user-interface for their new games.

Anark Gameface is a bundle of two technologies for streamlining the creation of both the front end user interfaces and the in-game user interfaces. The first is Anark Studio, an artist-friendly authoring environment. The second is Anark Format SDK, a toolkit for transferring data out of Anark Studio and into game engines. The result is a content pipeline that lets artists create UIs, reducing the need for programmer involvement.

"After signing to exclusively develop on the Unreal 3 game engine, we realized that we would need an effective tool that would allow our UIs to equal the in-game experience," said Silicon Knights CEO Denis Dyack. "After an extensive evaluation, we were confident that Anark Gameface would be the perfect technological fit."

2. :/ That's all I have to say about that. It's like a double edged sword. (Acutally, did they ever make a sword with just 1 sharp edge?) Good company, bad for programers.

3. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.

Anark is a really awesome technology. It could very well be the next Flash-like format if it catches on.

4. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Yes, the Scimitar is an example of a single edged sword. :D

But to the topic: you could say the same about virtually any middleware, including the Unreal Engine itself. You also forgot to say - good for the consumer. :)

5. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

I think these are good middleware products. Programmers shouldn't be spending their time on things like a GUI interface, after all it is the design of a GUI that is more important than its code.

6. ]-UnderTOW-[

]-UnderTOW-[ -_-

I've often wondered what Epic were doing in the way of GUI tools in UE3, after seing Doom 3 engine's incredable GUI system. Now that it seems a UE3 licencee has had to licence a 3rd party GUI tool isn't good news for what to expect in native UE3.

:rolleyes: That's like saying programmers should be the ones to write particles systems and materials. Hell why don't they just get to work on levels, textures, models and animation while they're at it! Unreal Engine is all about giving more power to the artists to do jobs related to art. Giving more time for programmers to get more important things (like AI, for instance) working correctly, rather than baby sit artists.

7. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

This doesn't say anything about the GUI system that is included with UE3.
    UE licensees often license 3rd party middleware to replace something that already came with UE (or roll their own).

8. ]-UnderTOW-[

]-UnderTOW-[ -_-

In reference to this article, i was refering to (and said) the GUI tools in UE3. Regardless though, there's been no mention of any special GUI system or tools, in anything i've read about UE3. However, that doesn't mean there wont be in the future, i guess.

I'm not thinking about licencees, i'm thinking about modders of UT2007.

EDIT: WTF is wrong with BUF's post editing? I had to open IE for the Edit button to work!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005