1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Silent Hunter III

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by [UMC]Boron, Mar 17, 2005.

1. [UMC]Boron

[UMC]Boron UMC's Official Drunkard

Just bought it yesterday, pretty awesome if you like this genre of game.

One thing I cant figure out is how to change resolution of the game.

Anyway, some people had some problems like its not compatible all the way with my graphics card (6800gt) or any of the 6 series Geforce. I installed it, ran it and it said It couldnt initialize the 3d engine. Rolled back the drivers from the ones before 71.84 and it worked flawlessly.

2. mbs357

mbs357 olol

ooooooooooooo

3. Turin_Turambar

Turin_Turambar Pls don´t shoot to the Asha´man

There is already a patch.

The game seems awesome (still i dont played it)

The resolution is fixed, :( :(, no more than 1024.

4. geogob

geogob Koohii o nomimasu ka?

Yah! this means I can't play this game at all... thank you.

Why in hell would you want a fixed-single resultion game?

5. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

So it pleases all the people with fixed-resolution eyes?

:con:

6. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

I've been playing this game for the last couple of days. I love it. I haven't even tried the Multiplayer aspect to it, but i hear it's busted atm anyhow.

Q: how come so many people have vidcards or monitors that can't do 1024? I figured by now just about everyone's machines would be able to handle at least 1024.

7. fist_mlrs

fist_mlrs that other guy

been playing it nonstop since yesterday. it doesn't like my 6800, the loading times are horrible and i get a ctd from time to time, but nonetheless im absolutely amazed.

the first thing i did was getting rid of the music, modding the time compression and adding lots of records to the gramophon (wish it had a shuffle/playlist feature though).

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      55.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      67.9 KB
      Views:
  8. JaFO

JaFO bugs are features too ...

What really is odd is that Ubisoft apparently already has announced Silent Hunter 4.

Source : http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=7465
    Odd, isn't it ?
    // ---
    The SH3-forums mentioned something of a pretty serious problem for GeForce-series that had something to do with the (water?)'spray' and/or various other complaints.

I've also seen complaints that it really doesn't work with certain drives. They've even got an 'official' vague message printed on the box warning people that it might not work when used with some CD- or DVD-RW-drives.

9. Psychomorph

Psychomorph  

Omg, no WW2 again, man it's since 60 years over.

And UBI again? Damn.

10. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

WW2 for sub sims seems to be the "golden years" with in terms of being able to show intreting visuals, and actually allow the players the opportunity to shoot at things.

After subs switched to Nuke power, and with the advancement in sonar in the 60's they became more of a deternet force & espionage tool rather than a combat platfor. In theory a modern subsim could probably get away without having to make any 3d models for the ships or oceans, becaues they never had to come to the surface except to send & recieve the odd radio msg, and even that i'm not sure they have to do anymore.

It's the samething with Flightsims to some degree. In modern air combat the chances of you actually seeing an enemy plane is practically nil. So why bother modeling extensive damage and smoke ect ect, when the player is never going to see it. but in WWII you had to get up close and personal.. you could actually see the bullets riping holes through your target, ect ect. Graphically ww2 sims in these regards offer a grander "wow factor" because the developers hard work in the visual department can actually be apreciated by the player.

11. JaFO

I think WW2 is definitely a more interesting era for submarines because of the (rapid) development of this 'new' technology & tactics.

It's also interesting because there's a real war happening and that makes for a more believable campaign-background.

btw : I thought there was a sim in development dealing with modern naval warfare. IIRC it simulated submarines as well as warships & all the sensors that are available. I've forgotten the name though.

12. (SDS)benmcl

(SDS)benmcl Why not visit us here in the real world.

Do you mean Harpoon 4? If so it was cancelled by everyones favorite Ubisoft. There is work to get it going again but that is a long way off.

13. JaFO

I've found the name : Dangerous Waters.
    http://www.battlefront.com/products/dw/
    There's a demo as well.

I'm not sure how it compares to Harpoon-series as I haven't played either game, but I'd guess it's pretty close in its approach (ie : naval warfare instead of pure simulator).

14. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

This is sorta Off topic for this thread but.. speaking of modern submarines and their roles and capabilities.... has anyone else thought that "Metal Gear" was more or less Hideo Kojimia's anime'd mecha metaphor for the SSBN (Subs with long range nuke missles). Metal Gear was always described as some kind of mobile nuke missle silo, that was capable of "walking anywhere" and firing long range and or undetectable nukes. That pretty much is the description for a SSBN except that it wouldn't be really intresting, cool, or really possible i guess for Solid Snake to take on a SSBN mono a mono with a rocket launcher. :p Still i thought somewhat intresting in a very geeky way that the first "metal gear" was made in the 60's. =)

15. Kuroshio Apocal

Kuroshio Apocal Sucka Free

You can play the game Sub Command with 3D graphics disabled. Modern subs don't surface to receive message traffic, they stream out an insanely long antenna and it as it spools out it floats to the surface. And you aren't the only one thinking that Metal Gear = SSBN. Although another game (Bionic Commando) took the concept a little too far... the final boss was a flying, nuclear powered and armed submarine with guns all over it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  16. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

wait, wasn't the end boss where you had to jump of a very high ledge, and somhow on the way down put a single shot through the cockpit of something that resembled a 747? I remember the end boss looked like hitler
    :lol:

17. DEFkon

DEFkon Shhh

Has anyone else else found SH3 to be virtual crack? I sit down and tell myself.. only for an hour or so... and then find that its 3am because i don't want to quit till i finish a patrol. ;p

so far my funniest situation was when i laying in wait for a cargo ship that i had been tracking via sonar to passby. The weather was about as poor as the game could produce, heavy clouds, heavy rain, heavy fog, and 15 meter per second winds. So i decide to surface the boat because the visiabilty's so poor that figure there's no way for this other ship to see me, and by the time that it does it'll be dead anyhow. Anyhow i'm scaning the horizon looking for any sign of this ship in the fog, and i'm starting to get a little worried that i might have miscalculated his expected course, so i ask the sonar dude, "yo what's the bearing on this ship" as i'm looing though the UZO. so he yells back "bearing 280" and i'm thinking to myself.. yep that's sounds right, should pass right infront of me -- wait wait wait... i cut my engines and just try to listen through the wind, rain ect. I'm like ooh i think i can hear him.. YES!. so i'm looking forward and the sound gets closer and closer, and i'm like "i wonder what my visable range is in this?." ----- just as i get a huge crashing sound. DOH!

18. JaFO

*arghhh* stop it ... please ... it's not fair..
    It's been ages since I've played a German WW2 sub-sim (Dawnpatrol on my MSX was my last, the only pc subsim was set in the pacific) and I do remember the addictive qualities of this type of game.

19. mbs357

mbs357 olol

How did you get rid of the music?
    It gets on my nerves that changing the music's volume affects player controled in-game music.
    I suppose I'll have to replace all the music files with blank oggs...but where to get a blank ogg.
    Deleting them sure didn't work. >_<
    Ooo, and how did you edit the time compression? XD

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  20. Derelan

Derelan Tracer Bullet

And if you really don't care for sub sims...

[​IMG]