1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

Discussion in 'Unreal Tournament 3' started by ->Sachiel<-, Feb 6, 2006.

?

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

1. YES!!!

126 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. NO!

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

Er... no they weren't. PErhasp you could say that if you were comparing them to 2k4 weapons, but definitely not if you compare them to each other. The Minigun and the Sniper both had huge advantages over all the other guns. The only time you say people using goo/flak/rox/ripper was at close range and often when they didn't have anything else to use.

That said, though, there were certain people that were really good with thoe weapons and evasive maneuvers that did quite well for themselves never using the Sniper.

2. BeMyMonkey

BeMyMonkey Village Idiot

Really? I never played online, so I wouldn't know that well... All I remember is I had a blast in that game because most of the weapons were so damn powerful... flakking someone from close range was absolutely devastating as were the rockets iirc... :D

3. -AEnubis-

-AEnubis- fps greater than star

lol, I once used only sniper mini on my isp's server, which I pinged absurdly low too, and went godlike without really grabbing any armor. Wasn't even fun.

4. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

I mostly played offline as well, and yes against bots all of the weapons were devastating :)

5. Rk.

Rk. Sleezy bastard.

No, because then it would pwn everything in low range.

6. HardcorexxX

HardcorexxX (.)(.)

...how is 70 damage at short range single shot going to beat out 140 damage flak cannon firing twice as fast?

Besides isnt it listed on Epics site that basicaly we'll be getting some sort of replacement for the LG/SR? I have faith they'll find an effective solution, if you're going to have giant ONS like maps Epic will provide us with some sort of long range option

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  7. Fuzzle

Fuzzle spam noob

Flak is a projectile. LG is hitscan.
    Flak can only be used at close range, LG can and is used for both maximum and melee range.

Giving the LG 50 or 95 damage really wouldn't be as huge a difference as it sounds like. When you play against someone with an 80% hit ratio, it all just comes down to "2 shots".

8. N1ghtmare

N1ghtmare Sweet Dreams

When Ut2003 came out, we all thought the LG sucked because all we had to compare it with was the UTSniper. Now that the 'Classic Sniper' came out, we had something to compare it to, and we hated the new sniper.

PREDICTION:
    When UT2007 comes, we will all hate the new sniper because of our current love with the LG (like we used to hate the LG because we loved the UTSR). Epic will listen to us (like they did to make the 'Classic Sniper') and decide to create the 'Classic' Lightning gun for their next UT game. It will somehow suck and be underpowered, so we will look back and see how much be loved the UT2007 sniper, and how the LG was overpowered with 70 damage (like we now think the UTSniper was overpowered), and when the UE4 UT game comes, the cycle will repeat! 8p

9. HarrySpanner

HarrySpanner coool

nah ltg is the pwnzor it will never be considered overpowered :p

10. HardcorexxX

HardcorexxX (.)(.)

I think while alot of people would like to keep the LG for all the wonderful corpse twiching head poping goodness, it really wont blend well with 2007...at least it seems, you can surley expect some mutators for the weapons which solves all you "for fun" player's problem out there anyway.

11. [ACE]Boru

[ACE]Boru New Member

Sniper Rifle all the way. HEADSHOT!!!

12. -AEnubis-

The LtG is overpowered.

13. Death_god23

Death_god23 New Member

GIVE US NEW GUNS!!!

GIVE US SOMETHIN NEW :Pulse:

:rl: :minigun: :instagib:
    OR BLOOD GOES EVEREWERE

14. Rk.

Rk. Sleezy bastard.

I misread and thought that the 120 damage thing was close range, not headshot. Sorry.

15. T2A`

T2A` I'm dead.

Let us not forget Steve's wise words.

[@steve]: so they play TAM then complain about weapon balance

16. JohnDoe641

JohnDoe641 Killer Fools Pro Staff Member

Maybe you need to learn how to move then. :c

17. HarrySpanner

HarrySpanner coool

oHHHHHHHHH ^
    :lol:

18. -AEnubis-

LoL, I say that because it accounts for most of my damage, and I don't even conciously use it.

I'm used to dealing with it in other peoples hands, and I'm not bitching. Just making a statement ;)

19. LANCE.xd

LANCE.xd Flak Monkey

The LG actually does more dmg
    (www.unreal-info.net)
    LG=70 SR=60

But i say we get sometin new. I kinda liked the U2 SR

Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  20. pine

pine Official Photography Thread Appreciator

QFE

Not only is it a much cooler weapon, I like its balance better. The only change I would make (were it my decision) is correct the headshot detection.....nothing like shooting one of the taller models in the face and not getting a headshot, then shooting them in the neck and SHAZAM! headshot!