should i uninstall ut2k3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
Well you should be able to run UnWheel perfectly on UT2004 ;).

The game hasn't been properly distributed around South Africa yet, so I'll probably only get it middle of next week at the earliest so I can start testing :(.

stevenhorton

Not of this World
Jan 9, 2004
Central USA
home.mchsi.com
The mod installs fine, the menu for selecting the vehicle shows up, but that is as far as it goes. If you keep selecting until the time expires, or what ever you call it, you enter the map, but with no vehicle:( Shrimp, here is a link I found today http://unreal.epicgames.com/ut2004/tutorials/modsupport.htm . I tried following the instructions, but I am only a lowly mapper:) ( In other words, I didn't get it to work.)

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
yeah and im not even a mapper, im just.. a gamer...

and oh i was on a game of onslaught just now, and the buggies behaved... hmm ... unsatisfactorily... like, i can understand that this is somewhat of an improvement over the impossibly grippy vehicles on xmp which i was used to, the xmp vehicles can negotiate slopes that normal players on foot cannot climb , but the ones in ut2k4 just lose their grip and the tires just dig dirt... i was trying to get the scorpion to go up a steep hill, and it lost its grip... all 4 tires were spinning, and it gave an impression that its a 4wd vehicle... but, when i was still applying torque to the tires, i tried to turn right, and i expected the car to start rotating right because the front tires would be pushing sideways if they had torque...instead, the slope was so steep that the car began to slide backwards, and the car began rotating left as it was sliding downwards, as if the front tires were merely rolling back with the car...
i.e. i think the car has fake 4wd, it behaved like a rear wheel drive vehicle right then, yet the front tires kept spinning ....
so im quite dissapointed with my first experiences with 2k4... the vehicles are alotta fun to rack up kills with, but sometimes even seeing the results of a single particular kill would get me thinking 'gee, this aint realistic' like how people only decapitiate right at the joints like ut2k3 etc etc... also slamming the manta straight into some stuff doesnt do any harm, yet scraping it against terrain can cause damage... also theres this other wierd scraping sound that happens sometimes when im in a tank... i hope the physics system is actually better than what it looks right now...

::edit:: acutally, no, i just looked carefully just now... it seems that the vehicles actually have a differential gearing system , like there is no solid 'axel' connecting the tires, and i just happened to be only looking at the tire with the less grip, while on the other side of the car, the tire there would have stopped spinning and my car was effectively stalled on the slope... good physics! its abit wierd how the cars can still mantain a good grip on slopes and not slide down slightly... but oh well i guess there are real life off road vehicles that really perform like that... cant wait for unwheel for ut2k4!

Last edited: