Should I believe the reviews?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

echoskybound

Ground Control
Feb 21, 2005
The Rivertown
www.pulsesynergy.com
Hey guys. Even being the Unreal fanatic that I am... I have not yet played Unreall II (I blame my video card!)

I read reviews on Amazon saying it wasn't very Unreal-esque. There's several things about the original Unreal/Return to Na Pali that have had an impact on me: The biggest one is atmosphere, then concept, architecture/level/weapon/character design, and of course, the soundtrack. It's also a fairly long game (I have the Gold pack) with a huge variety of different kids of levels.

I heard the of graphics Unreall II were stunning but all the original characteristics of Unreal were missing. I need the opinion of people who love the original Unreal as much as I do that have played Unreal II. Is it a must-have or will it disappoint me?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I loved Unreal 1 so I will comment.

Unreal 2 is definitely NOT a must have, however considering you can get it for $5-$10 pretty much anywhere now, it's definitely an alright game to pick up and play through.

Think if Half-Life 2 had featured a brand new character to the series....and had nothing to do with Half Life 1.... that's Unreal 2 :) But it is a fun game in it's own right.

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
I agree with brizz, u2 isn't a top notch game but considering its price hell yes its worth it, though graphics can feel outdated. Im sure they were jawdropping for its time but alot has happened.

And no, about nothing is linked between unreal 1 and 2 except the exsistance of skaarjs and maybe the unreal feel. :)

Keep in mind that if you buy the game you can also download u2xmp, a free multiplayer addon which... which... pwns!

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Another vote for 'buy it'. It is a fun fps, with alien baddies that happen to look like skaarj. If you can, get the original release (without the bundled XMP), because that'll probably save you $10.00, then download XMP for free. Like iddQd said, XMP pwns!

Tenacity

noob for life
Aug 18, 2004
OMG what are you ppl talking about? :eek:

Aida alone is reason enough to buy U2. :mwink: :notworthy:

Well then there is the whole XMP thing which is an obvious 'must have'. :con:

chipmunk

(NBK-Daft)
Nov 26, 2003
MA
www.clan-nbk.com
Personally, the first time I played through U2 I was kinda blah about the whole thing. I played on Normal difficulty and beat the game before the patch was released. Like many other diehard U1 fans, I was pretty dissapointed but probably not as much so.

BUT - over the past few months I've been playing through it again very slowly on Unreal difficulty with the fixed dodging (thanks to the patch). I have to admit I'm liking it ALOT more than the first time through. The enemy AI is pretty superb on the higher difficulties and the game is NOT easy at all. I've also upgraded my vid card since then which made a huge difference in my overall enjoyment of the game. I think that playing XMP so much in between stints also allowed me to appreciate the finer points like the weapon loadout and environments so much more.

So, with that said, I'd have to agree with what most have said so far. But I'd also have to say that the game is significantly better at a higher difficulty with a comp that can actually run it. :)

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
chipmunk said:
<snip>

So, with that said, I'd have to agree with what most have said so far. But I'd also have to say that the game is significantly better at a higher difficulty with a comp that can actually run it. :)

Agreed, graphically it's an amazing game. I've only played through it once( I plan to do as Daft has and play it again on the higher levels of difficulty). To me it was worth the 15.00 bux I paid for it over a year ago.

P.S. Daft, play more XMP or I'll Fierce Heel Kick you until you think you're a Taco. <3

Shadow71

Feb 27, 2005
California
nshewchuk.com
Unreal II is kind of weak in my opinion, but if your really looking for a game right now, I would pick it up solely based on the fact that its only like $9.99 right now. (atleast thats how much I payed for it..in Canadian dollars)

echoskybound

Ground Control
Feb 21, 2005
The Rivertown
www.pulsesynergy.com
I guess ya can't argue with the price. What are the system requirements though? I don't remember what video card I have but it couldn't handle Unreal Tournament 2003 (I had to give it away. =( Sadness.) My processor could, though.

It seems like what everyone's saying is it's a good game, just not following the classic Unreal theme. I could use another FPS... the only other oen I ahve is like Perfect Dark on N64... LoL.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
Minimum Requirements
-Processor: Pentium 3 or AMD Athlon 733MHz or faster
-Operating System: Windows 98, ME, 2000, or XP (NOT Windows 95)
-System Memory: 256 MB
-Free Hard Drive Space: 3 GB
-CDROM Drive: 8X or faster
-Video Card: 32 MB GeForce 2 or Radeon-class*
-A Windows-compatible sound card*

* Compatible with DirectX 8.1 or higher

Recommended Requirements
-Processor: 1.2 GHz Pentium 3 or AMD Athlon
-System Memory: 384 MB
-Video Card: 64MB GeForce 3 or Radeon 8500

Those are official requirements. Personally, I don't think you'd want anything less than a 128mb GF4 or equivalent, and maybe double the processor power if you're going to get into XMP (although that goes for basically any multiplayer). I play on a system with a Barton 2500 and 128mb ti4200, and I can't go above 1024x768 resolution without it occasionally bogging down. Having said that, there are people on this forum that play on GF2s, poor bastards.

XMP.Arc

+-aka Arcturus, HalcYoN, goBOT etc-+
Actually chipmonk (NBK-Daft) is quite right. Played on Normal/default difficulty or lower the enemy AI is not given as much opportunity to shine. At high difficulty the game is quite challenging- especially those involving Liandri Angels and the like.

As to reviews, some revisionist history has taken place. Unreal 2 actually garnered some good reviews when released. Those that were critical mentioned it was too short (not enough levels) or did not advance the same continuum presented in Unreal 1.

I think had the title been called Marshall John Dalton's Adventures in Space or Skaarj War it would not have had the high expections attached that calling it Unreal 2 brings. That kind of notorietary is a double-edged sword. Either way it is easily worth the current price. XMP :tup: comes too.

Last edited:

dutch_gecko

Think Pink
Jun 16, 2004
www.dutch-gecko.co.uk
GotBeer? said:
Having said that, there are people on this forum that play on GF2s, poor bastards.
GF3, get it right :p

If you're happy running at a lower resolution and with some bits turned off, I managed to get the single player running smooth as anything on an athlon1800+ and 64MB GeForce3. Although XMP is like treacle, the SP was fine.

Síochán

Alpha
Feb 16, 2005
I have no probs at all playing XMP with less than 10 FPS, I have some great games and some bad games like everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.