1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

short on cash?

Discussion in 'General' started by ProjectX, Feb 23, 2006.

?

Would you pay for UnWheel?

1. Yes, definately!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Depends on the price

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Never!

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  5. Only if it comes with craze - in a plastic bag

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. ProjectX

ProjectX Nicholas 'ProjectX' Udell - UnWheel Maps

Pasted from a moddb article:

"Nothing in the EULA agreement prevents modders from selling the bandwidth of downloading, the original textures and models, hosting, and advertising of the mod. "

So, the ultimate question: would you py for UnWheel?

This, by the way, is merely a question from me and has no bearing on team activities. For example, shrimp won't know bout this post until I've sent it.

2. JACK SH!T

JACK SH!T Evil Genius in a Nutshell

If I didn't have a high speed connection, yes, I'd pay to have it shipped to me on a CD/DVD. But it seems to me if you pay for it, there should be extra content on the disc that isn't in the free d/l.
    Like mapping tips, maya tips, maybe extra maps & cars, etc,etc.....

3. JamesBong

JamesBong 'JeeP' addict

i'm with js on this one. if i was on dial-up connection, i would definatley purchase, instead of 650-700 mb download.... but if you break it up in packages... might be a different story.
    voted=maybe

4. JACK SH!T

even in packages, it's still almost a gig of downloading...200 meg here, 50 meg there, no matter how you look at it, it's too much for dial-up. I wouldn't try to d/l more than 50megs in 24 hours on a dial-up, let alone almost a gig....Braudban spoils us (and I love it). For me a gig d/l is no big deal, but if I was limited to a 56k modem.... :rolleyes: :eek: I'd move on and dream of high speed internet...Like I did durring UTClassic map d/l's
    I think having a CD/DVD opption can't be over looked. Maybe if sale look like they might be good, offer 200-300 free just to move the mod, then up the price 15% when the freebees are gone.
    Not trying to make this a "Linux" thing, but look what that stratagy did and is still doing for Ubuntu. The freebee factor has made them the #1 Linux distro. No other distro will ship the full CD/DVD to you free. I know it takes cash to make the disc, but everyone knows, free is a great price.
    Besides, we can charge multicopies to Craze's credit account...Jeep has perfected his "CrAzE" bot 2.666.999.21.-5.2 kernel .07beta kreditkard spoopher

5. ProjectX

Excellent! Your beta version you gave me only let me access the account of someone called Bill.

6. $n][pErMan

$n][pErMan UnWheel Server Guru!

Sweet... I can stop selling myself for cash... :D

7. craze

craze New Member

no more craze bashing!(voted 5)

8. ProjectX

you know that'll never happen craze so why bother?

9. jerdaygo

jerdaygo How jerdaygo?

I agree, it’s getting kinda old even for me. Let’s not scare new players off by reading the forum and noobs thinking they will get flamed if they join.
    I think Craze has learned his lesson, haven’t you?

We can have conversation without flaming Craze. He has to be a die hard UnWheel fan to keep coming back even though he has been getting crap for so long.

So what do you say Craze, chance 2?
    Lets try it guys, cool?

10. $n][pErMan

I already PM'ed him like 2 weeks ago.... he will be unbanned when the new version comes out. If he keeps doing the same old crap in the new version I will not hesitate to ban him for the remainder of his UW carrier :p Last thing we need is someone doing lame crap and forcing the new people to lose interest because of it.

11. jerdaygo

jerdaygo How jerdaygo?

Sounds Good

12. craze

craze New Member

the new UW is comming soon(i hope...)

13. strangelet

strangelet New Member

may i point out that UnWheel is stuffed with maps from all points in your development history - most of them have no bot support and there is a distinct quality gap between earlier and later maps/vehicles.

perhaps culling some of these older maps and adding more polish to the remaining ones would trim your dl size and improve the percieved value of your product... just a thought.

14. Diego1203

Diego1203 Member

You are absolutly spot on. We have a ton of just plain bad maps, to be honest. This has been a problem with UnWheel for a long time. Some triming of the fat so to speak could go a long way.

15. JACK SH!T

agreed...must be 10-15 maps that never get server time. Look at Ferrie, good idea, but too hard to navigate, city track, polycount is too high, etc,etc....I think taking a second look at the maps/cars is a great idea. If they don't get played (Snipe might be able to look at his server logs and see what gets little to no play, and help weed out the no-play maps...) take them out of the offical release, and make them third party/optional downloads.

Also, we need a "Kick Craze" command added to the code....LOL
    Sorry Craze, couldn't help myself :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
    you find the simi-hole/outside of the map in the oval yet??? I went looking for it, and found it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2006
  16. $n][pErMan

WTF you running... a Geforce 2? LoL :lol:

I can if someone really wants me too. Just let me know!

17. ProjectX

Maps made by me that I believe are no longer up to current UnWheel standards:

• UWKB-Generator - hideous game flow and graphics
    • UWRL-Lost - not enough detail, and players can cheat by driving all over the place, ok flow for monster trucks though
    • UWRC-Mawes - just a hideous map, basically,
    • UWBA-avalanche - ok visuals, but let's face it - it's only there for the extreme factor, and not really got good gameplay
    • UWRC-Alladreas - Visuals suck, I'm planning to do a visual upgrade to it some day
    • UWRM-DesertShine - Flow is destroyedby the big open space in the middle, will try decreasng the wall size or adding some other barriers
    • UWRC-Tundra - *Shudders*
    • UWRC-Igneous - Just mising something IMO

disagree with me if you think I'm wrong, or that I've missed something. Botpathing is possible, and I've almost gotten bots to do a whole lap around UWRC-Face, but they fell at the last hurdle.

I think - regardless of pathnodes - the bots will always attempt to make a straight path towards the next checkpoint. This behviour was showin in Face as they veered straight into a wall which had th checkpoint on the other side of it.

We may be able to get this sort of thing cracked if either we go back to the old volumes approah (which we seem to be on anyway)or if we trick it into following a PATH to that volume (which would be a far better, but harder way of doing things)

18. craze

craze New Member

UWRM-DesertShrine, you wanna get rid of that?!!?!? thats the ONLY map i can beat snipe on! UWRC-Tundra is pretty good, UWRC-CityTrack is still pretty good. some people like igneous, i realy dont. avalanche is realy easy is you use a car that has no movement in air. Mawes is kinda crappy, you can get stuck in the walls alot. Lost sucks, you fly arround alot and cant stay on the track(maby thats just me...).

19. ProjectX

Y'know, if you press "s" you can brake try it while driving, it's amazing.

20. Shrimp

Shrimp Seafood splatter

I'd like to leave DesertShine. I quite enjoy it ;).

Are you suggesting we drop those maps, PX?