1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shoot Through Walls

Discussion in 'Infiltration Development' started by HanD_of_DarKNesS, May 31, 2001.

1. HanD_of_DarKNesS

HanD_of_DarKNesS Evil Bastard

I haven't gone on a dedicated testing run, but I was wondering if most mappers implement realistic ability to shoot through plaster wall inside buildings and such?

I have seen that many doors, windows, crates, and other such objects can be shot through by some more powerful firearms, but definately thing we need more of this capability with solid wall which are supposed to be made of relatively destructible materials such as plaster.

2. bastard_o

bastard_o Lead Designer

I hear ya to a point.... But I wouldn't like to be your team_mate walking about in the next room... "thoooth" "thou" "Arggghhh"

There is no reason why some inner walls can't be the correct thickness to allow projectile penetration.

3. Dupre

Dupre Code Pimp

Too bad you can't specify material density for the walls in UED.

4. Starstreams

Starstreams New Member

I agree, that would be wicked
    I think it would make the game so much more real, but think that modern computers today would choke. You would need some serious memory to handle each scene in it’s current state. You could probably produce a similar affect by using decals, but sometimes those things have funny artifacts. I wonder if the new engine has something like that. I was reading a review, and it is just unbelievable, but I didn’t see anything mentioned

Last edited: Jun 1, 2001
  5. bastard_o

bastard_o Lead Designer

Oddly enough it would be very easy to implement...code wise.

But and a big but would be that every texture pack would need a material type attached to it...

We have Wood, Snow, Grass, Metal, Street etc etc at the moment for sound...

So maybe one day we could implement a material type plus the material thickness to determine penetration... :)

6. -Lost-

-Lost- Local Bad-ass

why not just make the walls hollow to allow for easy penetration?

7. SoSilencer

SoSilencer Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)

I was thinking that too. Right now in this Eurotown map I'm working on there are some pretty decent interior areas. The building I've been working on is a 4 story motel with quite a few rooms and interior walls. When I get closer to completion I will try hollowing out these walls to allow for bullets to pass through. Maybe even leave lots of vertical thick areas to simulate the studs which you probably wouldn't be able to shoot though.

This is all bsp allowing of course, so we'll have to see what happens.

8. bastard_o

bastard_o Lead Designer

The only issus I see if you hollow out a wall to give it say two walls of 4uu's rather than 16uu's would be that the hollowed out bit would become a ZONE...

Unless you opened it out killing the ZONE, 64 zones is the max, not sure what happenes if you go over 64 :(.

Why not just edit the vertexes on existing brushes to make the wall thinner...

I will make some inner walls within BT thinner, not sure how I can indicate that the wall is shootable, maybe I will damage the wall in some way ie punch a hole in it then ppl will see how thick the wall is !!

9. SoSilencer

SoSilencer Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)

Not really. Just make sure all the hollowed out wall sections connect and you only have one zone. If you start running out of zones (I really doubt somebody would add that many buildings with interior walls) you could put a hole from the wall zones out to the open and then cover it with a vent texture since all houses have those.

10. bastard_o

bastard_o Lead Designer

Yes, really... lol

I was only pointing out the issue dude.. making a vent would be a very good idea though... :) Nice idea... I have a vent texture that needed a home... :)

11. IDN Mum

IDN Mum New Member

little works

all that is needed is in an upper corner in a dark spot of the inside of the building place a hole the thickness of one side of the hollow wall and make it 1x1 or 2x2 or whatever the minimum size is...if i'm correct it should go that small or all you need to do is make the wall thickness 1 and then the 2x2 will work.

Here's an idea for anyone thinking of making a mod. it's possible to make the characters tiny right? Well if you minimize the characters and slow them to the apropriate speed for that size and set the collision to the apropriate value...you wouldn't need to make such big levels no? I may be wrong but it's something I thought of while ago. Texture sizing might be an issue but I've never seen what the effects of minimized texture was from a 2 inch persons point of view.:Poop: Yes i have my computer in my bathroom.:p