1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Shin Megami Tensei/Megaten Games

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trynant, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

You think JRPGs suck?

Well you might be right, but hey, the Shin Megami Tensei games might suck a little less!

Basically you find demons, fuse them together to make more demons, and hack and slash your way through dungeons to level up and find more demons. There may or may not be high school sim gameplay involved depending on the game.

Also, they tend to be somewhat hard.

Also, basically the PS2 games are the best.

Persona 3!
    [m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzHpCOPsVbo[/m]

Persona 4!
    [m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUTQKMRLYQ[/m]

Nocturne (and yes Dante from DMC is in it)!
    [m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXqkRu1aKcE[/m]

A bunch of other games!

DISCUSS THE AWESOMENESS

2. -Jes-

-Jes- Tastefully Barking

No.

SMT doesn't suck any less than other jrpg's.

3. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

O c'mon.

Nothing is as bad as Final Fantasy XIII.

And besides I said 'might suck less.'

4. -Jes-

-Jes- Tastefully Barking

XIII is an exception.

5. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

I'd contest that Persona 3/4 are better than the Dragon Quest games, those random new JRPGs like Lost Odyssey and Resonance of Fate, and a bunch of other crap. And I hear Nocturne is supposed to be awesome.

But yeah, saying a game is better than most JRPGs is like saying a restaurant has better food than Burger King.

6. UBerserker

UBerserker old EPIC GAMES

The only good Jrpg series, screw the rest, screw the haters.

Also screw the Persona and Devil Survivor ****, Nocturne/Strange Journey/Soul Hackers/DDS1&2/old Megaten games are the awesome stuff.
    Also Atlus is dead apparently.

that abomination of a game has got the Sony Platinum Award (JP)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  7. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

The only good jrpg is the 2d jrpg,,lol:mad:

8. Slainchild

Slainchild Gold Member

Everything in this thread is terrible.

Except me.

9. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

So it's basically a clone of Jade Cocoon, but suckier?

10. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

bird, er, I mean WORD.

Actually I liked the 3d Shining games and Grandia/II

11. UBerserker

Megaten predates both Jade Cocoon and Pokemon in concept by so many years. And it's better than both.
    Only JRPG players who like easy difficulties don't like Megaten stuff.

This is a very good series except the Persona branch (not Persona 2 though) which just sucks.

EDIT: Jade Cocoon 1 was great too, I give you that. The sequel was a terrible joke though.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  12. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

I have not played Nocturne yet and that makes me sad.

How can you know what Jade Cocoon is and not know Megaten?

Also Persona 3 and 4 are fun, even if they don't have the awesomeness that is the main series.

And sometimes I feel Strange Journey is Pokemon for adults.

13. ambershee

ambershee Nimbusfish Rawks

I stand corrected. I don't really play these games (although did invest ~300 hours into the last Pokemon game D: )

14. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

Bumping this due to acquiring Nocturne for Christmas.

HOLY MOFOKIN BAWLS THIS GAME IS SHIZNIT

Basically this game is getting my praise for being a turn-based JRPG and actually being legitimately challenging and quite often very hard.

Imagine Persona 3/4. Imagine it without the anime life-sim and more dungeon-crawling. Imagine instead of being a highschooler with highschool party members, you're a demon who was formerly a highschooler who recruits the very demons you fight into your party and then fuses them into more demons.

And then add Dante.

It's a good game.

15. SleepyHe4d

SleepyHe4d fap fap fap

So basically it's like Bleach? LAWL.

16. UBerserker

Have fun with Nocturne. Best JRPG on the PS2 if you ask me.

17. PainAmplifier

PainAmplifier Evil by Example

I only have one of the Shin Megami series of games, Raido Vs the Soulless Army.

And the best thing I can say about it, is that it doesn't suck nearly as much as the Final Fantasy games have been lately. It's not a bad game at all, but it is very much a "J"RPG, in that it does use many of the typical Japanese tropes and cliches. If anything the SMT series is just maintaining the level of quality that it started with, while other franchises/studios have gone downhill.

In my experience, most JRPG's have been moving too far towards being 'Visual Novels' and not so much about being 'games' anymore. And they are hardly paying more than lip service to the whole 'Role-Playing' part of that as well. Most JRPG's are lean very heavily towards being leveling treadmill games with a story to watch when not grinding for more levels or gold.

Good RPG's are very hard to find these days. Demon's Souls is probably the most recent one I would whole heartedly recommend. It's not the old style but it does get the 'feel' just right.

Perhaps the biggest change from the older games has been the shift from turn based 2D RPG to 3D Action-RPG for just about every game out there. I can't blame 3D for the woes that have befallen RPG's, but rather I do blame the business/publishing climate that focused on consoles and the casual/mass market.

18. Trynant

Trynant Manic Brawler

Feed. Off. Your. Tears.

Bumping because why not. Ignore this if you don't like turn-based RPGs whatsoever.

Have been playing Nocturne off and on the past few months; I'm almost to the end. While obsessing over the series I found out some nifty things. Fun fact about the Megaten series: they are hard.

You might say, "Oh silly <insert derogatory name here>, JRPGs aren't hard. They are boring grindfests and all you have to do is level up your character to outmatch the content!" And oh how you would be wrong!

These games put bosses in that will kick your level 99 character's asses. Atlus knows that some of you ****ers are crazy and will spend days making the perfect characters. To reward your time sink, they put things like this in their games (possibly spoilers btw):

Beelzebub from Nocturne
    Beelzebub kill video.

Elizabeth from Persona 3: FES
    Elizabeth kill videos: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Aaaaand the Demi-Fiend (Hito-Shura) from Digital Devil Saga
    Demi-Fiend kill videos: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 aaaand 6

Quotes are from here.

19. UBerserker

Putting Beelzebub on the same tier as Liz or DemiFiend is just wrong. Satan from DDS2 is serious business instead.

Nocturne doesn't have any real super hard bosses. They are all pretty easy except the few who flat out cheat.
    Enjoy the Diet Building I guess. Coolest jrpg dungeon I have ever seen.
    Oh now that I remember I have Samael in my avy and he's the big boss of the Diet Building.

EDIT: In Nocturne don't pick up Gaea Rage for the DemiFiend, get Deadly Fury and Freikugel instead.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  20. Al

Al Reaper