Shark Cage Diving

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Niamh

May 27, 2001
South Africa
Visit site
Anyone here tried it yet? I'm very interested but would like to know from someone that has done it and what it was like? I think coming face to face with a great white like that must be the most amazing experience ever :)

cage1.jpg
cage2.jpg

cage3.jpg
cage4.jpg

The Purple Bunny

Super Mario Breakdance!
Jun 27, 2003
Hot South GA
www.bunnyhaetsu.net
Don't worry. Sharks don't like the taste of humans. So once he sinks his teeth deep into your arm and tears the skin and muscle straight from the bone and leaves your appendage in a mangled pile of hanging pieces, he'll realize his mistake and make his leave. They're considerate like that.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
They don't not like human flesh, they just don't eat it often, so it's strange to them. They'll eat it if they want to, but they prefer seal over it.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
The man stretching out his arm to the sharks nose is putting him in a trance. The shark then rolls over on its back and relaxes all its muscles. I saw him doing it on discovery, its pretty amazing. What I want to know is, how did he do this the first time? I don't know if it works on any shark; he only did great whites/blue pointers.

Nickelass

In the Flesh?
Apr 4, 2002
Central Illinois
Visit site
it would certainly be a memorable experience, but i sure as hell would not do that. i heard somewhere that those cages are not actually meant to keep sharks out, but more just a platform for you to stand on. so if a really hungry shark wanted to i could eat you. or at least get one of your limbs.

Warm Pudgy

null
Feb 18, 2001
bleh i go diving all the tiem, but just not in a cagfe or in the ocean with sharks

ph34r teh sig

Chipstick

Get me a beer from the fridge now!Flooks
Asian womans ass tastes best i heard(not in Sexual sense ok)Its the rich diet apparently .Read it in a book about cannibals years ago .
Veggie so i'll never know myself.
Watched Roboshark(bbc documentary) a few weeks back it showed punters shark/cage diving 1 word=idiots.yey its an experience so is a car crash but show some respect for nature.Sharks aren't sopposed to be hand feed ,they are very intelligent hunters a few scavengers thats just insulting them .If you are going to do it forget the cage and do it properly up close and personal its only fair :lol: and it would be 100times more fulfilling experience.Go on i dare you. ;)

Niamh

May 27, 2001
South Africa
Visit site
Chipstick said:
If you are going to do it forget the cage and do it properly up close and personal its only fair :lol: and it would be 100times more fulfilling experience.Go on i dare you. ;)

I'll pass, thanks ;)

Sharks are the ocean's greatest scavangers, why not dump a few dead fish in the sea to appreciate them alive and well as to watching overrated films and documentaries about how dangerous they are? Besides, I can't recall any fullfilling experiences obtained from a car crash eh? ;)

It's still better than watching them caged up behind thick glass in an aquarium :( By doing a shark cage dive the human's are the ones caged up, and being behind bars shows some respect to their power rather being an idiot and making yourself available as a free snack. I can't see how this would influence them negatively. It's not like the amount of fish they get would cause them to rely on that alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
In all seriousness, if you get the chance to, you should. The risk is minimal. You can even take cageless tours now, not with white sharks, but through schools of hammerhead and reef sharks. So far, I haven't heard of anyone being attacked on one of these tours (not to say it won't ever happen).

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
1) learn first to dive, real diving
2) if you like it, well, why not...

IMO, this is kinda stupid diving for tourists. If you really respect sharks, you shouldn't enter in this kind of thing. Diving with great whites without cage is possible yet dangerous because they are often found in rather poor visibility waters. But with proper training, it is possible if you like risks. A biologist in South Africa is used to do free diving with white sharks. It has several divings in his logs and was never attacked.
Diving with sharks is fun as long as you respect them. Read: don't touch them, don't wake them, don't bother them... and it should be ok. Even pacific sharks like the nurse shark (dunno if the translation is good) are known to have attacked a diver that was bothering them in their sleep/refuge.

Some sharks remain dangerous however. They can be "approached" by day light without too much danger but you better avoid them at night when they become frenzy in search of food.

Some sharks are better to be avoided at all times like the Tiger Shark or the Mako. And yes, try not looking like a seal when you're diving: avoid staying in surface (horizontally or legs down). You better try to face the shark vertically and push its nose if he comes too close...but that's theory.
I heard some electrical device set on the air tank were quite efficient in disorienting sharks coming too close by disturbing their sensors.