Shadow Hearts

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
So, I'm sure you think the only good rpg for the ps2 is FFX, right? Well, I just picked "Shadow Hearts" up yesterday. Not only does it have some little variations on your regular rpg gameplay, but it has an incredibly interesting story. It's definitely not for the weak of heart though. Considering in the first minute two grown men are torn apart like rag dolls, I think those looking for a happy go-lucky rpg should well... look elsewhere. The atmosphere kind of reminds me of Persona 2*(if you've played that), but even darker.

The characters and plots definitely aren't your run-of-the-mill stereotypes. Yuri, the main male character, continually makes thinly veiled sexual approaches towards the main female character, Alice. It is clear that Yuri is not quite... right in the head. This is due to the system of "malice" in the game, where the more monsters you kill, the more their spirits hold sway over you. But you can "cleanse" your malice at a graveyard when it gets too high. Be sure to do so, otherwise a grim reaper sort of character will attack you, and if you lose against him, you lose the game.

Many of the characters possess some very... "odd" personalities is how I'd put it. I don't want to give any of the story away, but trust me, it's good.

As far as graphics go, the cg in the game is AMAZING! Considering how damned good the CG is, you'd think they'd put a lot in! It's at least as good as FFX (cg-wise), IMO it's better. The in-game graphics are not the greatest in the world, but good nonetheless.

About the "little variations on regular rpg gameplay". Well, first of all, there is the justice ring:
shadowhearts_0423_screen036.jpg

(That's a japanese screenshot, obviously the english version has english text)
Basically, you try to hit it in the coloured areas. Closer to the edge, more damage. It makes it so reflexes are required for battle. I like this, some people despise it. There is a few other little variations that make the gameplay a little more enjoyable which I'll leave for you to discover.

All in all, I'd give this game a 9/10. I really like the macabre plot. It's a compelling variation on everyday rpg's.

*Persona 2 is a psx rpg that I also suggest you check out.

Gamespot's review of Shadow Hearts

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
Just to show you what it looks like when you're walking around...
shadowhearts_1219_screen009.jpg

Yuri using his "fusion" power...
shadowhearts_1219_screen011.jpg

This is what I meant by "not for the weak of heart"
shadowhearts_0606_screen003.jpg

sexahy cg!
shadowhearts_0606_screen014.jpg

more cg
shadowhearts_0606_screen013.jpg

I forgot to mention yuri's fusion power. Well, as you kill monsters you gain souls that are placed according to elements. Once one element is filled, you can go to the graveyard and challenge a monster of that element. After that, you gain the ability to morph into him. You can also use each monsters unique abilities.