SG Servers Gameserver Downtime

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shan

www.clanterritory.com
Jan 29, 2000
Portland, OR
www.clanterritory.com
Hi All,

As some of you have noticed, the gameserver I am running on is not holding its own any more. As a result, we are off to bigger and better things. I am upgrading the server over the next day or two. I do not expect any downtime, but it may occur. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience in advance.

For anyone interested in specifics, here are the new server specs:

Dual AMD Athlon XP 2600
2GB RAM
160GB HDD Space
10Mb/s Internet Connection

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Whatever shan has in mind regarding the servers config, i hope his first concern will be to have a "lag free" server, which is not the case atm. Anyway i think the 20 players config he has now is plenty enough.

shan

www.clanterritory.com
Jan 29, 2000
Portland, OR
www.clanterritory.com
OK, the new server is up. If this server does not provide a lag-free gaming experience then there are some serious problems elsewhere. In testing just now, my CPU utilization was holding at 6% with 12% spikes with 10 players on TDM.

If there are futher lag problems, let me know and I will have to look elsewhere for the cause.

shan

www.clanterritory.com
Jan 29, 2000
Portland, OR
www.clanterritory.com
Crac, I am not planning to change anything right now. I am just going to watch and see how it goes. If the server runs well then I will slowly move up the player counts to about 26-28. After that, any remaining CPU is buffer for the rough times (AT4 and Incendiary whoring :))

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
I've been told so, but i never quite understood why setting the max number of players to a high value has an negative impact on cpu, even though there are few people playing.

shan

www.clanterritory.com
Jan 29, 2000
Portland, OR
www.clanterritory.com
In my experience, your CPU usage is soley governed by the number of players, setting the value up should not impact CPU on my end or the client end. If you set the value high, however, you will eventually hit that number, which will negatively affect server CPU and I guess would impact Modem users because there would be more positional updates, etc.

I will not plan on significantly raising the players numbers right now. We may have some "kill the server" events where I put the list high and run Cleeus mutie to adjust the map list by players numbers. Could be fun to play Brikby or RTK-Night with 32 players. :)