1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sewer Map

Discussion in 'Play Testing' started by vilehelm, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Hourences

Hourences New Member

its too flat and boring too get intersrting, add more ****, and what waterzone question ? the guns in the water ? dont hide the, youi need too find your weapons easily, not start searching them for a few hours cause you cant see them too well underwater

2. oosyxxx

oosyxxx teh3vilspa7ula

No, I wasn't alking about the map I was talking about, eh, well ....

3. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

that water question... it drove me crazy and i gave up and compromised on it. :(

What's the joke? My name? Vile(sick)helm(head) my real name is William so it's sort of a double entendre.... anyway...

4. oosyxxx

oosyxxx teh3vilspa7ula

Rgr that.

5. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

just cut a hole somewhere in the ground and place the zone in that hole. than you can lower the water under the 8 unit line

6. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

RATS! I was gonna do that and then thought "well that's not the most elegant solution probabaly another way to do it."
    thanks

7. Hourences

Hourences New Member

should work by making the drawscale smaller, look if it are 2 differnt zones when placing the sheet lower, otherwise you have a bsp prob, not with the zoneinfo

8. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

thanks, i'll have a look at it when i get home. i've just taken a solemn "no editing at work" vow.

thanks again

9. AlexanderII

AlexanderII Ready to play Duke Nukem?

But that's exactly what I said, isn't that? If you don't put a pathnode near the PlayerStart, the bot will just stand there like an idiot and wait untill somebody comes to get him.

Regards,

AlexanderII

10. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

All i can say is that i'm glad this isn't the other big thread that's going on in this forum right now (that CloudWar one) and i ain't gettin involved in that!

One thing I've been surprised by Playing UT is that there are a lot of visually cool maps out there but i always end up seeing the same visually lame ones over and over on the servers. I try to jump around on the servers because i like playing against people not bots and i like seeing new maps.

Bedrooms, Bathrooms, Thorn, Civil War, i see these a lot on different servers and they're flat and simple yet people vote for them over and over. Thorns is nuts, i get carpal tunnel playing that one.

It seems to me that the people who appreciate art in mapmaking are mapmakers. I say this because i work in advertsing and i see a prallel. There are awards for "great ads" and the ads are not necessarily effective the advertisers just like the art of them and think they advance the "art of advertising". Truth to tell the crappy ads are often most effective. Not always fair but true.

(climbs down from his rickety soapbox)

ps - i'm not saying that my map is effective either just something i was thinking about while playing.

ON TO VERSION 2!

11. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

I'm not sure i understand this one, sorry. 2 different zones? I only have one zone icon showing...?

Or are you talking about two sheets?

Sorry, i'm sure this is something simple that i'm not getting....:(

12. Evil_Cope

Evil_Cope For the Win, motherfather!

you may have a point about that art-in-maps thing.

but also, crap low-poly maps usually run sweet as well. and download quickly...

13. AlexanderII

AlexanderII Ready to play Duke Nukem?

mister_cope:
    That's the first sign of reasoning I just started to see here! Good start! I have hope now! I did not waste my time for nothing!

Regards,

AlexanderII

14. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

yeah that's sort of my point. if anyone's intrested in usability theory check out

http://www.useit.com/

it's about all sorts of things, mostly websites but it's mostly about that area of compromise between what works and what looks great.

it's plain looking but the content is very, very rich

15. RigorMortis

RigorMortis .

im pissed off

i started a few days ago on a sewer map of my own cuz i am sick as hell of the same old industrial DAvidM wishiwazzers (like me)

im not a CTF player... so i cant give tips on CTF maps... all i know is i wanted to do something different and YOU did it!!! :Poop:

anyhow... ive put a hell of alot of work into my map and will still finnish it (Looking forward to hearing what Hourences will say about it :) )

you know... im really getting into that bastards work... hes quite a nifty mapper. (had to kiss a little ass, dont know why)

anyhow, for reals tho, kudos to you for going out on a limb and trying something different (i think its different... i hope its different cuz thats what i wanted to do: different)

I'll D/L your map and see what all the fuss is about... even though i dont dig CTF... youve got my interest, plus i'll bne sure not to make the same fooboos in my map :p (just playin witcha)

16. RigorMortis

RigorMortis .

ok i d/l your map

very boring at this point... good start for a first map... the first time i tried to make a map in the editor it was four gigantic towers conntected by a big circular walkway... the friggin towers were about 4000 units tall and i ignored the grid completely... the editor crashed one day and i never was able to open that stupid thing again. it crashed every time... so hell yeah!! your first map will actually play!! thats cool!

however, i played with the editor alot after that and read MANY tutorials and read many reviews before actually RELEASING a map. i still suck big ass so dont feel bad. its an art, like you said, and it takes practice. the first multi sectional layout you ever did probably isnt matted first page in your porfolio either... you get better with time kiddo. :)

LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE.. they are the community, and they will tell you exactly what you need to hear... if they say "this sux" then fix it... if your happy with it, thats cool.. then keep it to yourself but if you want the communities approval you need to not get upset when someone says this:

A.) WTF is with those dull ass lights putting off such radient light?? dim down the lights or brighten up the sources, jesus christ! (try cylinder lights with a SMALL radius just below the light source... gimme coronas too!!!)

B.) Im running for the flag when all of a sudden, BAM... im stopped by... a bullet, no... a rocket, no... a local distraction of multiple nude women entering my living room and spreading crisco all over each other, NO!... BY THE ****ING FLAG BASE!!!! FIX IT!!

C.) Where in the hell did all that water come from?? i didnt see one spot where the water actually entered the friggin hallways... is it just there? ive never been inside a blood stained sewer with nice clear blue water anyway! fix that please!

D.) Only one thing sucks worse than realizing that im playing a CTF map, you know what it is? its play a CTF map and winning a straining battle just after capturing the enemies flag and the bastard spawns RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!!! Spawn Points so close to the flag base are :poop:

E.) CTF??? WTF??? DM!!!! (consider this layout for DM, after you fancy it up a bit of course) maybe to a two moons thing and release it as Multi purpose DM, CTF, and DOM... dont bother with assault though :)

Things likethat, id never say that stuff cuz i personally think its mean... for reals though... these guys are the nicest guys, you caught them on a bad day im sure... they are usually very constructive so dont give up you see. dont take what i said personally i just wanted to slip in my crisco joke! :D

rig

17. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

whew, long day... honestly rigor, i don't know what all the fuss is about either. I think it started on another thread and spilled over here....

well, already starting on #2. Trying to add some zPlay to the idea.
    i'd thought about that from the beggining but decided to try walking before i tried to run. didn't really think i could handle anything bigger than what i attempted and not get disheartened when it fell apart. :rolleyes:

here are some other ideas/questions

would water coming from the sewer grates up top slow things down considerably? I haven't seen this before but i'm sure it's been done.

also maybe something like a few cracked pipes with a steam plume coming out of them. it seems like that might slow things too.

i'm adding a second level for the z play and a pipe line running underneath underwater for a little swimming. maybe i'll hide some of the better armor there too.

Also try and make the rooms a little more distinct from one another. and maybe larger so that they don't seem quite so much like the corridors.

overall the feeling that i'm trying to get is sort of a "From Hell" look. Late 19th century london sewer. I don't know why just seems cool.

The lights i did over and over and finally said **** it and put those in i was never that happy with them.

heh a lot of the problems that have been raised i thought about before i posted the map but i didn't want to say right off the bat because i didn't want it to sound so unappealing. anyway thanks. i have no problems with anyone here rigor, very opinionated bunch but i have thick skin when it comes to this stuff.

18. RigorMortis

RigorMortis .

i was 1/2 mocking everyone else when i went off dude.

for starters, your polycount is very low and the engine can support alot of stuff... **** around with some zoning if your worried about thats stuff...

1) water from grates up above... i guess... how bout adding some holes in the walls with trickles of water coming out (dont forget the ambient sound!!)

2) smoke from pipes... cool idea... do that

3) im never a big fan of going "underwater" for a swim... but some people like it.. be sure not to make it too long.. drowning is too big a price to pay for the shield belt.

4) more distinct rooms... ah yes... very good idea... try breaking up the monotany of the walls with some curved pillars that are in line with the walls... make them a light colored iron or something, and change the textures in the flag rooms... (to make them feel special i guess) genearth has some cool rock textures

5) from hell is cool... been done to death but its okay i guess. why not have some torches? it could add more light (more understandable light) make a couple of those lights different colors and make some flicker so people can relate to where they are in your map... ie. the flickering light by the blue light means the blue flag is just around that corner.

6) maybe put some small lights under the water, on the sides of the wall... to light up the path some more...

thats how i really give my opinion... a little more sweethearted than before, no?

19. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

Yeah, i just thought of that last night and that would solve the problem of where to put some of the player starts without being completely in line with the flag. make the pipes big enough for people and let them start at where the water comes in through a grate or something (kinda like that scene in "The Fugitive" where he jumps off the dam)

I did torches as a light source one time around and i put the flicker on them and it made everything really slow. Probably because i did ALL of the torches. I'm sure that was a mistake.

ah well, holy crap i'm sleepy, any forums on how not to stay up working on your map all night when you need to go to work the next day.

20. Hourences

Hourences New Member

the people who like them and play them all the time are stupid idiots and should be killed....

add everything you can think fo that will improve the theme and enivorment, dont take it easy, if you wanta pillar you can either chosoea cube pillar wich you make in 1 minue, or you can adda 150 polygone pillar with everything on it, wich will take you a small hour, you take the second, the coolest possible thing, you need too impress the public, not showing the fact that you know what a simple cube is :) and at the same time that stuff may not disturp gameplay

you have bad textures too light, that may be the prob why it also goes soo bad, a dark textue is hard too enlighten, cause you dont see a lot of result, therefor light textures are the best, and you shouldnt use very dark textures, or very coloured ones, just grey **** works best, try a differnt brick texture possible