1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sewer Map

Discussion in 'Play Testing' started by vilehelm, Jan 9, 2002.

1. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

Please have a look at this one, my first

thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2002
  2. Seco_In_The_Bushes

Seco_In_The_Bushes Streetsign Thief

Vilehelm,

Looks like it could make a good medium sized ctf map after some renovations. Nice job on the overall layout, the geometry of the rooms is well done and looks good in-game. You can definately get lost wandering the passageways, which I think is good, but others might not like it. Attacker has the advantage, as there is no easy defense positions, which makes it more challenging for the defenders.

A few suggestions: Definately try to use a wider variety of textures, the level good easily be much better with just a slight variation, such as making the ceiling textures different. If you set the water texture to bHighShadowDetail, those grills on the skylights will cast gothic shadows :)

Move your lights down so they're not as close to the ceiling. This will make them light a little wider radius more smoothly, and some fog would compliment the water well. Adding lightboxes under the skylights might add something.

Most of all, this level is a bots nightmare. You should re-path the level with the following in mind: You dont need paths in every corner of every room. Put paths only in places where bots will travel, ie: hallways, room centers etc. If you want you can place ambush or defense points in these little niches.

Remember, these are just my pathetic opinions. :)

Good Luck

3. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

thanks, yeah it's a little simple texture wise but how varied would a sewer be? I agree though...struggled with that a bit. Wanted it creepy, dark and blotchy.

Also on bots I used the "Build Paths". Is it night marish because so many nodes or how they cluster? I was curious to see how the program placed them...the first time i did it by hand and wasn't very happy with how the bots responded (or didn't respond i should say).

I'm hoping to take comments and build the thing again from scratch. Just wanted to get a version out there. ...thanks again

4. AlexanderII

AlexanderII Ready to play Duke Nukem?

Nice map!
    Good geometry of an 8-shaped tunnel, hence the name "Infinity", of course! I like those nice and simple maps. They are good to train the war skills.

Now, pathnoding always goes together with weapon- and powerups-placement. A weapon or a powerup is a pathnode too. There is no need to put the pathnodes in the very corners. Pathnodes always have too "see" each other. There is a maximum distance between pathnodes (don't remember exactly the number). There must be a pathnode near every Player Spawn point. And that's almost all I know about pathnodes.

I removed more than 2/3 pathnodes from your map and got a nice-and smooth gameplay with 16 bots. Also look at how I did pathnoding on my first map "DM-CloudWarDemo", where it was particularly difficult for I had to avoid bots falling off the cliff.
    Good Luck, and good mapping!

AlexanderII

5. oosyxxx

oosyxxx teh3vilspa7ula

vilehelm ... is this some sort of joke?

6. Balton

Balton The Beast of Worship

I dont know how your map looks. my connection sux today.
    But what I read in the post leds me to the fact that the map isnt very good. Here is a pic of an sewer map that I was working on. I dumped it cos I run out of nice details and the lay-out sux. but it has some nice and very detailed points.

7. Balton

ok,
    what I wanna say is that you made your first map and that you shouldnt stay on this standard. Alexander is talking total crap. Get better! You just learned the basics. Now its time to learn how to use your new tools to create a completly cool world! Dont hesitate to experimentate! But dont be like Alexander2 and start bragging on our 1st map...
    btw. that part has around 100 brushes and was build by me in less than an hour. I used the over-used sgtech1 textures and I jsut used 4 lights that I set up as good as possible.

8. Call me Erdrik

Call me Erdrik Arch Mage

Wrong. :p PlayerStarts also act as PathNodes. You only need a pathnode withing visable range of the PlayerStart. lol
    (thats in my expirence anyway :p )

9. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

no it's not a joke...its a map, duh

Balton do you actually have anything to say about the map itself?

Alexander, as stated before i used the "Build Paths" command to create the nodes, when i did it by hand the game play was a little weird. By watching the computer do it i thought that i could pick up some hints. Do you have a copy of the renoded (is that a word) map you could email me?

vilehelm@yahoo.com

i'll probably rebuild it again soon, but thanks for the constructive comments (as for the others...too much time on your hands i guess)

10. Balton

well, from the screenshot I can tell you that I dont want to take the time. Sorry to break a dream but you are a beginner. Its good to ask others for opinions and impressions but dont expect too much. I just wanted to warn you. Alexander created one map and its for some reason damn proud and believes he even can get hired now...
    As I said. compare my work to yours. I can say with no doubt that my stuff sux and that I am working on my skills.

11. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

Too dark....not enough light sorces. All the hallways look the same. My shoes are water logged!!!
    Give it some diffrent looks....make some changes that will let you know better were you are on the map. everything looks the same. What do you have??? Three total textures???
    After 3 mins of playing....I`m sick of it already.... :(
    But I hate CTF!! :rolleyes:

12. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

balton: am i hallucinating or does it say "play testing" at the top of this forum?

trust me you're not my dream, my nightmare or even my type...just looking for some commentary on how a map plays. which is what this forum is supposed to be for right?

grow up a little, quit wasting my time.

rukke: i love CTF, oh well. i was actually trying to make it dark and maze-ish but i guess that doesn't appeal to you. Did you notice any play problems?

I wanted to make the water level lower but kept running into a problem where the zone icon extended beyond the 8 unit high stream that i made (flodding the whole level). There are actually raised avenues around the middle canal if you look at the architecture in unrealEd. I tried to make the icon smaller but still ran into that problem. So i just raised the water level eliminating all of the "dry areas that i'd made so i'd have an area big enough to fit the icon in. I'm sure there's a way around this, i just don't know it, woul;d love to here it though.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2002
  13. Balton

ok, I dled not the map. you'r lighitng is totaly borked.
    you set brightness to 255!!! that is a big NO-NO!

cos this will cause neat greenings and make it ugly.
    the layout is uninspired and there is nothing special. your "pseudo" skyboxes arent very impressing too. Sorry but I could tell you so before. You are more stuck with a few hundred floors and only some rooms.

14. Balton

and whats that? I just ignore it...

15. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

hah, funny (no really it is)

Balton and i are obviously going to be good friends. Seriously though thanks for the comments on the map. My feelings aren't hurt i just wanna talk about the map. I'm sure the next will be better and the one after that (well you get the gist).

Why is the 255 a bad thing if it lights are the way i want them? Is there a playing problem or is it just not the way you would do it?

The sky boxes actually probably don't even need to be boxes do they? I realized this too late, or they could at least be smaller. they're just there for illusions sake. Not really playable space.

16. Hourences

Hourences New Member

aah, looks like we have another cool thread, lets play the map :p

17. Balton

setting the brightness to 255 will distort the colors makes the textures look washed out and I think it also affects the performance.
    hey, I might snap something together to show you. or I'll do an tutorial...

bout skyboxes. create in an own room an sky how you like it. put in an skyzone actor and give all textures where the sky box should be visible the propertie fake backdrop.
    www.planetunreal.com/unrealed they have all the good stuff!

18. Balton

nah, the forces is blue on my side...

19. Hourences

Hourences New Member

played it, haf of what im gonna say is prolly allreayd said by balton but im too lazy too read that, so

the layout is flat, i want z fragging so you can get intersting battles, flat is cool for 1 minute, at 1 minute 1 second its borings, dont use straight lines, a floor is straight > soo boring, and the map only consits out of some rooms and corridors, boring too, add more stuff. need mulitple floors and stuff, and stuff to get out of the water, i also would lower the water level a bit, and there are things in the ground at some places wich are really stupid, you get stuck behind,and the flag base is way too high, cant step on it, only dodge or jump, that isnt cool for gameplay, besides that you had mostly sourcing for the light, but way not clear enough that that were actually lamps, lookt like other stuff, and need more lightsources in general and better defined, but its not overlit so thats good, and you have some contrasts too at places wich is also good, and map is confusing, need more navigation, everything looks the same > boring
    and use more textures, not these dark brown **** everywhere, and sounds would be nice, and some other shapes then cube corridors :) and add more grapichs and ****
    and need screenshot but you prolly know that :)

20. vilehelm

vilehelm ...zzzzzzz...

last post for the afternoon IGOTTAGETSOMEWORKDONEORIMGONNAGETFIRED!

Cool thread but maybe not the coolest map yet. I tend to like really harsh, contrasty looking stuff like Frank Miller's SinCity comics.

http://hem.passagen.se/fm4/sincity.html
    Sorry that's as close as i can get to a link to FM right now.

Please play it. I think after playing it a couple of times that it might have a higher minimum number of players needed than i thought. 4 people playing CTF is always kinda boring and CTF against bots is not too fun either but i think the layout would be allright for a people on people game (say eight or above). I play instagib too so i think i may have bulked up the weapons a little too much. But hiding them in the water is kinda intresting I thought.

Any thoughts on my waterzone question above?