UE3 - UDK Setting up CrowdSystems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
I followed this tutorial as best as I could http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTP4TDBGWsQ. As you can see in the first pic (crowdsystems.jpg) that the two DynamicGameCrowdDestinations are linked to each other. You can see my kismet in the other pic. At the end of the tutorial 5:40 to be exact you will see the bots moving across the map. After I build all I enter play on pc there arent any bots at all. This tutorial didn't show me how to choose my bots that are moving(5:40). So what am I missing? Also when the tutorial told me to go into Kismet CrowdSpawner Properties it said to enter AgentArchetypeName. I couldn't find this in the ios mobile development kit, but I found Crowd Agent List and entered the name there since there wasnt AgentArchetypeName.

Attachments

• crowdsystem.jpg
    crowdsystem.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 8
  • kismet.jpg
    kismet.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Odds are that you set the archetype for the types of bots to use in the actual Crowd System kismet action that you have there. If a mobile version of the editor does not contain specific actors, (based on previous problems you've had) I'd say it's not supported on mobile.
Beyond that, I don't ever use the crowd system myself.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
I have taken a new approach. I'm attempting to mimic the kismet and destinations from the jazzy jeff game.
So far I have run into two problems

1. I cannot assign destination to DynamicGameCrowdDestination attached to jazz mesh (mobilepawn) When I try to assign destination I get the error in the picture labeled assigningdestination.jpg. I believe the error has something to do with the fact that I copied and pasted the destinations from jazz mesh into different level and they are still labeled for jazz mesh as you can see in the error message.

2. I copied the kismet from the jazz mesh and pasted it into the same new level. Then I reassigned the dynamic game destinations under mobile crowd spawner as they were assigned in the jazz mesh game. My question is what variable from the enemies kismet that is surrounded by a red square in the jazz mesh game represents the snake and other enemies that attack you. I want to switch those variables with my own animated bots. ( I would post picture of enemies section from jazz kismet but its too big to take a screenshot of) You can see it for yourself in the jazz game in the kismet surrounded by a red square.

Last edited:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
1. You are correct. Add your own DynamicGameCrowdDestination actor, attach it to your game's equivalent of the Jazzy Jeff mesh, and use that actor as the assigned destination.

2. It probably sets up what meshes to use for enemies inside the MobileCrowdSpawner.

Disclaimer: I still do not use crowd systems, so any and all suggestions are entirely based on extrapolating the usual approach Unreal has for these kinds of problem onto the crowd stuff.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
Do you think that the question mark connected to spawned agent in the picture could be the mesh (bot) I need to assign? Please note that there are question marks in the jazz game as well connected to spawned agent so it may not be likely.

Last edited:

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
But also my copy of jazz game is a little weirder so that may have something to do with it. Check out this image of the bots attacking me. They have no texture just black bots.

Attachments

• bots.jpg
    bots.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 9

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
The questionmarks signify an empty variable, which is fine. The spawner's pin is a triangle one, which means it's dynamic, and it will output whatever it's spawning into the empty variable, which is then used as the attachee in the attach to event kismet. Sequence looks fine. You will want to set up what bot it needs to use inside the actual spawner kismet, it should be in its properties.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
I know your not fluent with crowdsystems but maybe you can answer one of my problems

I got the bots to walk their destinations or in this just move sideways as I stated in 1.

As you can see in my latest pic. There are still a few problems.

1. For some reason the bots are moving sideways without using legs and not using the walking anim I had set up for them.

2. I added a material to the bots by double clicking skeletal mesh and adding material on right but they are all shadows. All I can see are there legs they are so dark.

3. They acknowledge the pylon I set up but I can walk through. How would I set up some sort of collision on the bots?

One more thing I didnt set up an animtree because I dont understand what its used for. So maybe that might be a cause of my problems.

Attachments

• CROWDS.jpg
    CROWDS.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 7

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
1. No idea, perhaps you need to set direction on it or something.
2. Make sure you have lighting that affects the crowd, maybe?
3. AFAIK crowds have never had real collision, and you have to deal with that manually.

Probably need an animtree to get the meshes to animate properly.

andynov123

Feb 14, 2011
I've been working on the animtree following some tutorial and in the tutorial the guy moves the udkanimblendbyidle node's controller button that moves left and right and moves the character in the preview. (located on bottom of node)
When i move that button left to right the skeletal mesh in the preview doesnt move at all like it does in the tutorial I saw. Check pic for reference.

BTW I fixed shadowed bots. EnableCrowdLightEnvironment was unchecked for some reason.

Attachments

• animtree.jpg
    animtree.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: