1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Server Upgrade

Discussion in 'Infiltration Online' started by shan, Mar 29, 2005.

1. shan

shan www.clanterritory.com

All,

Over the last week since I brought the TDM server back up, it has become painfully obvious that an Athlon 2200+ server is not going to cut it. For that reason, I am upgrading the server to an Athlon 3000+ box.

You are asking what the heck this means to you, right? Well for most players, it does not mean much. Since I will be chaning IP Addresses, you will need to update your favorites list to the new server. If you use Teamspeak, you will need to connect to the new server IP. The plan is to migrate the existing Teamspeak server in tact so hopefully there will be no registration requirements or anything like that.

The gameserver migration will happen tomorrow. The Teamspeak migration will happen sometime before the end of next weekend. When the TS migration is complete, the old server will contain a single channel redirecting you to the new server.

Sorry for the inconvenience but the at least the 24 player TDM server (I know Crac, you hate TDM) will be back.

Shan

2. Cleeus[JgKdo]

Cleeus[JgKdo] because respawns suck

TDM :rolleyes:

DTAS?

3. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

Although I won't play a lot on NA TDM but I'm glad you are back!

-----------------

@Cleeus: I believe the entire community is aware, that DTAS with untouched DTAS settings is the one and only gamemode you deem worth playing... which is ok.

But why can't somebody return, announce to run a dedicated server from his private pocket without people rolling their eyes over the chosen setup...

4. CFA

CFA The Cult Of Personalities

DTAS is fine with me as long as he doesnt use a half completed RealTargets like the euros.

thanks shan, 24 people will be fun indeed.please post the new TS IP here when you recieve it

5. ant75

ant75 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

/dreams of playing a 24 players DTAS game on Brigby or Tigerhunt...

6. O_DoGG

O_DoGG Le Boner

Ooooh, I SO want to try that some day :(
    I'm not a great tdm fan either, but thank you for setting this up Shan. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  7. Crowze

Crowze Bird Brain

Oh come on, it wouldn't be a thread in Online without Cleeus pimping DTAS somewhere ;).

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I think even an 3000+ would struggle with 24 players on some maps e.g. Mostar. Unless it's an A64, which is a bit better.

8. Vahlemon

Vahlemon RRROOOOAAAARRR!!!!

9. shan

The funny thing is I already have a DTAS server out there and cannot get anyone to play on it. If it was running over with players and TDM was not, then that is the one I would upgrade. Players gotta speak up by playing...if I am going to run a server, I am going to cator to the majority and, at least from my seat view that its TDM.

FYI, I have played several 22 player matches with DTAS on TigerHunt and Birkby and it is a blast. So is RTK.

So the TDM get's the upgrade. If the DTAS server starts overflowing (at this point it has been up for a week and I have yet to see anyone playing), then I will take a look.

Possible, but I used to handle 22 with the 2600+ so I am making the assumption that the 3000+ can handle it. If not, I will drop it down. :)

Shan

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  10. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

I wonder how you can run this amount of players at all...

We (clan n1 hosting INFGermany) have an Athlon XP 3000+ with a Gig Ram and good connection, and there is no way we could host more than 18 Players...

We already moved TS, email etc. to a different machine and we don't run a lot of demanding mutators...
    Maps like boardertown are hardly playable with 10 players :(

Could it be that windows servers are way more efficient than linux ones? (we do use Linux)

11. shan

Depends on what the bottleneck is for you. I truly have 10MB of bandwidth available to me, so that is never the problem. If you are on T1 or fractional T1, that could be the issue for you....what happens when you go above 18, does the CPU spike or do your players just lag and see packet loss? I bet it is the latter.

I am having issues getting the new server running right, but speaking for experience with the last server, it was an Athlon 2600+ running Windows Server 2003 and it was common to have 16-18 players on it, but I have had 22 players on in one server session before and nearly 30 players between three different servers. We did run into problems at around 24 or 26 players (cannot remember which) and as a result, I would have to close the pub TDM on some occassions when we were doing 6 on 6 ILCR matches and the TDM server was busy.

That can be either CPU or net bandwidth. On my current box, which is only an Athlon 2100+, I can run 14 players on any map, including the larger ones for TDM. But, if I bump to 16 players, it works on most maps but the CPU spikes on a map like Inf-Downtown. Lots of stuff to replicate I guess.

I will let you know how it goes once I start filling the server up. Hopefully there is not anything new, mutator wise, out there that is causing greater load....if so, that could affect me too I guess. Only time will tell...

12. CFA

CFA The Cult Of Personalities

for DTAS, people arent playing there because noone wants to play DTASAL maps all day.we want to play a mix of matches like the good ol days.no big gay maps, just small 200 metter long maps.

13. Blitzschlag

Blitzschlag New Member

Na, i wanna have some real big maps too ;)

14. shan

I will talk with Odie about creating a second map config to expand the maps on my DTAS server to a larger variety. I assume it will not be a problem. We'll see...

15. Nukeproof

Nukeproof n1

Since I'm doing the weekly DTASAL map-pack I could help to.

Since we have 32 map slots I have no problem extending the mapcycle to full amount of 32.... (but maps used in DTASAL because these are the only ones we can be sure to be on all servers...)

But since the mappack changes weekly it shouldn't be too repetitive anyway...

16. {GD}Odie3

{GD}Odie3 You Give Odie a Boner

Nuke, please make that happen! That would be GREAT!