Server setup help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gnome

The Gnome that knows
Feb 23, 2003
Indianapolis
wormhole.tauniverse.com
I'm supposed to be setting up a private UT server on another network, and I have it installed and everything (yay wget), but I can't get it to... work. I have to access the server remotely by SSH/FTP. I can start up the server fine with ./ucc server DM-mapname multihome=ip ini=server.ini but when I or anyone else tries to connect, we just get an endless "Connecting to _____" screen which never actually connects. According to the dump of text in the SSH window, the server starts fine, as does the webserver. I can't access the webserver either, it just gives me a "Cannot find server" error. I've tried binding ports with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've been googling for information for the past two or three days, but it's all the same useless information (for this scenario! A lot of it is really useful stuff to know)... I think there are some blocked ports on the server itself, but the admin says they should all work fine. I'm pretty much out of ideas, myself.

Knowing my luck it's some stupidly simple INI edit I have to make... :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Based on your username, may I assume that you are a Linux user? ;)

I don't know much (actually I know nothing) about running UT servers under Linux. A few of the guys here do, and they'll eventually be around to help you solve your problem.

Anyway, welcome to BeyondUnreal™! Make sure to drop by Off Topic sometime when you're bored.

Gnome

The Gnome that knows
Feb 23, 2003
Indianapolis
wormhole.tauniverse.com
I had the nickname before I first used Linux, heh. It used to be "LawnGnome" but I dropped the "Lawn" part because someone on another forum went by the username "TheLawnX" and I got confused with him...

Stories aside, I have a passing familiarity with Linux. I've ran in Mandrake Linux 9.1 a couple times for a month at a time... I keep coming back to windows for games, though. Total Annihilation doesn't work in multiplayer under wine, and Diablo 2... just doesn't work. I hope to get a new PC soon so I can have a dedicated Linux box around here, though...

I find it funny that I registered a year ago and just now started using my account. I have no idea what I was thinking :p

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Hi Gnome,

Obvious question : do you have a hardware/software firewall running ?

P.S: Avoid those crazy people who have nothing better to do than kidnap gnomes from gardens and send back postcards to their owners ;) .

Gnome

The Gnome that knows
Feb 23, 2003
Indianapolis
wormhole.tauniverse.com
There's a software firewall running, but like I said, the admin says the ports shouldn't be blocked :\

I seem to have evaded them this long...wait... maybe not! Maybe THAT'S why my account was dormant for a year! :eek: