Serious Sam on XBLA and PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Sounds good except for that part about XBLA. I could really get into another quality Serious Sam game with co-op and Steam support.

Serious Sam: The First Encounter was "pretty" for a PC game well before "pretty" became "normal".

I heard online multiplayer was ridiculous too.

SS:FE and SS:SE were completely awesome.

PainAmplifier

Evil by Example
This will be coming on PC too. I can't wait, all those fancy normal maps and high poly models make the game look so sexy. :)

I think just the opposite. The 'improved' graphics just seem to make it look bad.

'Lower' graphics work in SS's favor, fooling the eye so that it 'fills in the blanks' so to speak. In this 'improved' version from the screen shots the higher resolutions and 'improved' textures just stand out as even crappier simply because there is no doubt now that the models are low poly/rez and the bling slapped on top is like putting a armani suit on a chimp...you just end up with a expensive poo thrower.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I think just the opposite. The 'improved' graphics just seem to make it look bad.
you must be a crack cocaine smoker.

ss_preview_Comparison_Original.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_Comparison_HD.jpg.jpg

yeah, I am convinced that you are smoking crack cocaine rocks.

PainAmplifier

Evil by Example
Go back and look at the screenshots with the closeups of the Gnaars. It doesn't look like they redid the models overall, so the 'cone' shape of the teeth looks crappy. The body texture looks pretty 'plastic-ey' as well and that really drives down the immersion as well.

SS had a slightly drawn/cartoon feel to it's graphics, so slapping some uber high textures on them just doesn't look quite right. It falls into that uncanny valley that prevents you from really getting into the game.

It's kinda like comparing the original Doom versus a build engine game like witchhaven. The latter has higher details and more color, but the overall experience isn't there. You may not notice it right away depending on your graphic tolerance, but it will stand out in the overall game experience.

This comparison also works for other games as well. For example: The 7th Guest versus the sequel, the 11th Hour. Sometimes more is less.

And if I remember the news blurb right, the higher poly's did come at a penalty to the enemies on screen. Which if it means the game is Closer to SS2, than it is the first two FE/SE...it's going to suck.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
While i liked the game when it came out, the gameplay itself is pretty weak.

Weapons are too straight forward and the player movement is painfully limited.

I will get this game tho, as it can be quite a bit of fun at times.

Personally, I was disappointed with the latest serious sam. The network code ruined the game.