1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Serious map problems in unrealED 2004

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by qwzz, Jun 4, 2005.

1. qwzz

qwzz New Member

Hello all,

I was recommend to this site because the other one, was out of date/ no support offered.
    Anyway, I am a beginner UT2004 map maker and I was following the tutorial over at http://www.planetunreal.com/architectonic/tutorials/first_level_part4.html.

I’m stuck on “Expanding your Level, Part II” --- Adding Static Meshes.
    I can’t seem to get the “hump” pieces aligned correctly, and just in general having big problems with connecting that bridge in all. So I stopped there and then went on to check out making water levels over at the tutorial: http://www.planetunreal.com/squacky/tutorials/UnrealEd-Tutorial2.htm

I admit, a problem could be that I got into the game late seeing how most of the crowd went to the Unreal-Level-making-gold-rush back in 2000 – 2004. Well of course it 2005 now and it seems everything is out of date or misplaced.

I am using UnrealED Version 3.0 , Build [2005-02-15_17.02] -- the version that was released with Unreal Tournament 2004 - Editors Choice DVD Collections Edition – (I just want to be clear on with what I’m using)

My assumption is that when all these tutorials were made that were using UnrealED Version 3.0 but had a different build release than what I’m using

My first problem is with this water making thing. I tried to follow the water tutorial --http://www.planetunreal.com/squacky/tutorials/UnrealEd-Tutorial2.htm , exactly with what I had. But I’m stuck on the part where it says “Open the TEXTURE BROWSER, open the package “Liquids” and select a water texture you like.

Well I don’t know how it worked back in the day, but now when I click on my texture browser I get all these UT2004 textures. Starting at “2k4Chargers” and ending at “XWeapons_rc” and nothing in-between at all resembling liquids… I check over and over again each independent textures and its subcategory if it had one. I finally gave up and said OK, I’ll ask for help later and pretend that I found a liquid texture – when in reality I just placed the real liquid texture with some dummy one so I would at least see how it was supposed to look.

So I’m “moving on” and now I’m stuck at the point where the http://www.planetunreal.com/squacky/tutorials/UnrealEd-Tutorial2.htm says: From the “Prefab” menu choose “Water

Well “water” isn’t listed in my prefab, but the options look like they are.. so I just set the options Zone-Portal, Non-Solid, etc.. and was on my merry way.

Now I’m stuck at the point where the http://www.planetunreal.com/squacky/tutorials/UnrealEd-Tutorial2.htm says: Our pool is almost done! We must now designate the area inside our cylinder, below the water sheet, as a WATER ZONE. This will make players “swim” when they jump in. To do this, open the ACTOR CLASS BROWSER again and select INFO>>ZONEINFO>>WATERZONE.

And guess what…? That’s right.. Info-> Zoneinfo is there, but WaterZone is just missing… it’s not even listed. I went through that whole Actor list thing searching for WaterZone in hopes that with this build release they sub-categorized Water zone under something else.. but I came up empty handed.

I have some other problems, but I’ll just post this for now… man it’s really frustrating when they give you screen shots of what your supposed to have and… you don’t have it!!!

Any help offer would be ***greatly*** appreciated

And if anyone knows of an updated UnrealED tutorials with support/active forms, etc etc, PLEASE PLEASE let me know

Thanks in advance.

qwzz
    holdsd96@mail.buffalostate.edu

P.S. and for those of you wondering why am I getting in the level making game so late, I’m a Quake 1 fan, always was. I have almost every retail quake 1 addon there is from the original release of the game to some stuff they did over in Europe called “Dark Hour”. Not saying that Quake 1 is better then the Unreal series [thought quake 2 was a disaster, and quake 3 was unimpressive] but I thought quake 1 with the assistance of GLQuake was made flawlessly. Regardless of what you might think, with the exception of the “Wind Tunnels” I thought, almost every other level in Quake 1 was multiplayer compatible ranging from 4 players to the full 16. Now, I don’t want to get into a debate or an argument over which maps are payable and which are not, I’m just offering my opinion. And as you may well figured out, my goal is to recreate some of those quake 1 maps into Unreal maps and any help or ideas are surely welcomed!

2. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

The water one and the other ones that have "squacky" in the URL are UT99 tutorials. There's UT2003/4 tutorials in my sig, and I'm sure you can find a bunch with Google if you say "UT2004 tutorial" or something similar.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005