1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Section 8, I will miss thee

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kyllian, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Kyllian

Kyllian if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;

I love Section 8. It's just a ****ing blast to play.
    Loadouts, DCMs, deployables, etc damn near ensure that no map plays the same twice
    The graphics are beautiful, game runs smooth and the weapons are just fun to shoot around

Problem is many things have plagued this game and all but signed it's death warrant
    People still whine about the lockon and you know what, it isn't hard to counter
    Yes you have to give up an equipment slot for the SensorBlocker but it's worth it since useful for sneaking in, getting past turrets, etc, etc.

Should TimeGate have instead made the SB a default piece of your armor and tweaked the dynamic between SB and lockon?
    Yea, maybe, might have shut some people up too, but what's done is done

Another point of contention is requiring WindowsLive
    Many haven't had even a single hiccup with it. They log in, they play, the exit the game.
    Others have had nothing but trouble. Logins not working, stats/achievements/awards not saving or being applied. On top of that at launch* there was a special update to Live that had to be applied before the game could install. Many didn't know this and even more had to uninstall Live/S8 and reinstall both. Hell, even trying to reinstall Live to the new version was a bitch

Then there was the patch. Depending on who you talk to, the fault of its delay could fall with TG or MS, since MS has to approve everything for a game before it's unleashed to the public, I'm leaning towards MS
    Patch delays, even more delays for the Steam/D2D patches and the patch that did come out kept digital owners from even playing offline since it required a DVD to start the game

Ever since the issues with the patch, the S8 playerbase has shrunk considerably. Several clans have either disappeared or their players have just stopped playing(there were only 2 clans in the tourney they had, AOD and 2 divs of TAW. XBox tourney was won without a single match)

The Open/Closed Betas used GameSpy and while not the best alternative, people could sign up quickly and easily
    With all the headaches Live has caused, I would have been just fine logging into GameSpy

Now we have the issue of setting up servers. Right now there's only 1 non-TG server running, the AOD Brothel, every other server provider has either given up, never bothered or is giving a runaround saying it's TGs fault and TG saying they've never been notified

In ending, a lot of things should have been done differently, but it's too late now.
    With how things are going, I don't think Section 8 will live much longer. If it makes it past March/April with the current playerbase I'll be surprised.

Despite all this, I'm not gonna stop playing anytime soon. I probably won't give up on it until there's only 5 people left

*Launch was a holiday weekend, not exactly good timing...

On a wholly unrelated note, if you're running around with a guy that has an alien growing in his chest ready to burst at any moment, you don't aim for his head, you aim for his chest you dolts. X|

2. Defeat

Defeat GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO

I would think launching on a holiday weekend would be a good thing?

3. Kyllian

It was released on the 4th and Labor Day was the 7th so due to the holiday weekend there was no TG staff available to help with launch issues like getting servers working, install/play issues/etc

4. SteelKiller

SteelKiller New Member

yeah S8 is one of the best FPS's i have ever played. i play it daily ^^ sup Kyllian, i didnt know you were a member here ^^

5. Kyllian

I play when I can actually. Catching up on the intartoobz and the girlfriend take up the rest :p
    Oh yea, been registered here for a while, even been trying to get DarkPulse to skip out of Borderlands long enough to join AOD :p