UT3 SCORPION DEATH RACE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MJpoland

Apr 4, 2009
SCORPION DEATH RACE - NEW VERSION

Gametype in development... first map is avaible in VCTF, full AI support for bots

Name:Scorpion Death Race
Version: beta 40

Comments: Optimal settings:

time: 30 min., 10 points limit, you and 23 - 31 bots

Download: http://files.filefront.com/ScorchedBVrar/;13723811;/fileinfo.html

Hello All! Firstly I want to say that thanks to arDru, the creator of Bunny Track for UT3, the Scorpion Death Race game type will arrive soon :D

For the beginning...

For now Map is avaible in vctf. Your goal is the same - carry enemy's flag to your. But you will not find the flag in enemy's base.... you will need to go as fast as it possible to the finish line were the both flags are and there score points. Just follow the signs and try to not die:lol:. After scoring a point you will return to your base...

One warning - cheaters (people who will try to find shortcuts) will be really suprised;)

Screenshoots:

Have fun and good luck

GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACKS PLEASE!

Last edited:

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
you should have put this in the requipment thread if you wanted a coder

good idea though

its like vehicle duel

Last edited:

Numb51

Feb 3, 2008
I really like the effort you put into it, and I'm happy you made this map cause I was going to do something similar for fun.

The only reason why it's not fun for me is because the way the scorpion's controls are, which is totally out of your control. For me, the ut2k4 scorpion physics felt about 10000x more realistic, and its apparent that the controls to this game were directed towards consoles.

However, I find it very fun to run it on the hoverboard. :)

MJpoland

Apr 4, 2009
I know, that scorpions aren't realistic now, and because of that, they need more skill;). That means that only skilled players will be able to drive fast.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
OK this is AWESOME and has a ton of potential! I just think you need to polish off a few things. A friend of mine and I played this together against 30 bots and it was a lot of fun. We have some general criticisms for you:

1) The terrain gets really rough in some places; I think you could smooth it out and take into account the Scorpion's handling to make the drive a little less difficult in a few areas. I love the ramps, though!

2) There are a few areas where the signs are either not quite clear enough at first or aren't properly placed where it confused me and I drove into some unescapable lava. There's one ridge really close to the end where the sign could probably be moved down a bit to make it more obvious that you should go left instead of right. Let me know if you want screenshots of the problem areas I'm talking about.

3) The signs at the end need to be more obvious that it's the end. I thought I was supposed to drive around the stinger turret building or go through the gate, but couldn't and got shot up. Maybe put a big sort of FINISH LINE indicator somewhere for added comedy and clarity.

4) A few places seem to have the lava doing damage above an elevation where you'd expect it to.

5) Behind the end building, there's one bit of terrain where you can fall in and be unable to get back out of, either in a Scorpion or on foot. It's behind the building and thus not likely to be visited, but you still may want to fix that.

6) This is clearly designed for player vs. player. It's cool how bots actually take the course, but as it is now, everyone meets up at that one central location near the start and that's where most of the fighting is. I think you may want to add just a few alternate paths for more potential meetup locations, like one at that ramp, one a little further behind the ramp, and one in the first town area, or something like that. Could add a little variety to the gameplay and make it less likely for there to be huge fragfests and less racing.

7) You might want to add some Warfare-style teleporters to the main bases so that players can quickly reach defensive positions. This could make the race a bit more challenging for players who get ahead of the game, as there would still be potential they would have to face turrets.

8) The Shock Turret is possibly a bit too powerful in the ruined town where it is. I would either reposition it or add some geometry to give it less of a clear line of sight of oncoming cars. If not that, I'd try replacing it with a rocket turret.

9) More huge ****-off ramps, please! I loved that one over the lava, but I was hoping there would be a couple more that required a boost to get over. You could warn players well enough in advance with a sign like "WARNING: BRIDGE OUT AHEAD" or something so that they would have time to save a boost for the ramp.

10) The extra Scorpion garages are nice for weaker players who bang up their vehicles, but one thing you could try is removing those and instead adding lots more Link Gun ammo along the course so people have to take better care of their cars. Maybe only one midpoint garage would be good? Also, you might want to protect the garages from Stinger Turret fire, as there is one where the enemy can shoot at the cars. Human players would be able to blow up the Scorpions before anyone could get there and keep doing it.

11) Maybe you could add some narrow paths meant only for footsoldiers on hoverboards, complete with hoverboard boosters. These could work as shortcuts for those willing to take the risk of trekking on foot or for those who lost their cars to enemy turrets or lava or whatever.

That about does it. Really, the map looks great and runs flawlessly; performance is perfect. We think you could definitely increase the terrain resolution and smooth things out some more without affecting performance, and possibly add some extra routes here and there. Also, if you took out the garages, it could be more like a real race; you only get one car, so either slow down and avoid hazards/damage, or stop to fix it up when you take too much of a beating. Either way, this prevents a mad rush for the finish without taking proper care of your car.

I would absolutely love to see you make a map similar to this but designed for Vipers or Mantas! Hell, maybe you could make it for Vipers AND Mantas; pick your craft and get going! Could work well as an indoor tech/urban map I think.

Great work so far! The concept is solid gold and the execution is already a lot better than I expected. Can't wait for the final!

Last edited:

MJpoland

Apr 4, 2009
Ok, so now I need to reply :D.
Firstly, big thanks for huge feedback :)

And about the criticism...

1) There were players who wanted even more difficult track - so I decided to not change it:rolleyes:

2) Hmmm... ok, screenshoots will help me (I know every part of this map so its difficult for me to know where players don't know where to go - for me it is just obvious)

3)Ok, good idea to change that

4) The air above lava is also so hot that it can damage everything ;)

5) OK, it will be fixed:eek:

6) sorry but there is no possibility for alternate paths at the start - one team would have advantage of shorter road to the end ....

7) Teleporters are a good idea, but they have to lead to closed areas - you know, somebody can use teleporter to get to the finish line quicker than others

8) Hmm... I don't think that it is too powerful... Scorpions are really strong against turrets - their grenades easily "stick" to them - if there will be two scorpions driving against turret they will destroy it without any problems...

9) sorry, but it would be too difficult for the bots :(. I can force them to use ramps, but not to use boosters

10) I wont remove the garages (they are needed for bots and for even strong players - imagine 16 vs 16 godlike players mayhem:lol:) but covering them to stop turrets fire is a good idea though . And one more thing - there is already a lot link gun ammo everywhere^^

11) Even if I don't know where to place them

Performance is good only because my PC isn't good - my UtEditor still crashes and crashes so I can't add anything which can decrease it :mad:

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
1) There were players who wanted even more difficult track - so I decided to not change it:rolleyes:
Perhaps 2 editions are in order? I don't agree with the players who think you need jagged terrain just to make it difficult. I think the jaggedness just makes it less drivable, not necessarily more difficult.

6) sorry but there is no possibility for alternate paths at the start - one team would have advantage of shorter road to the end ....
I mean give both teams two more paths that meet up in the same places. Some players would take the quicker one, some would want to avoid combat and take the middle road, and some would want to take the farther one (perhaps you could add more obstacles to the first and second, but leave the rear one as it is, since it's not hard to navigate). I don't mean give one team one path and another team a different one.

7) Teleporters are a good idea, but they have to lead to closed areas - you know, somebody can use teleporter to get to the finish line quicker than others
Right; you could probably stick the turrets inside fenced-in areas, or even have WWII-like bunkers for people to use their regular stingers from (like these: http://cantgetenoughfishing.com/pictures/WWII_bunker_jpg.jpg )

8) Hmm... I don't think that it is too powerful... Scorpions are really strong against turrets - their grenades easily "stick" to them - if there will be two scorpions driving against turret they will destroy it without any problems...
It's not so much taking it out that's hard, it's that the turret can start shooting the Scorpions before they get within range to fire back.

Hope this helps! I've gone and told a bunch more people to grab this and try it out. Hopefully you get some more feedback.

Last edited:

MJpoland

Apr 4, 2009
Thanks for your help :D. Btw, I will organize on-line testing of this map;). Yuo are invited;) Everyone can come :D. I will tell when within a day or two^^.

I hope that many people will come :D

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Also, I really do think the terrain could be improved; not less "rough," but less jagged. Having a rough, rugged track is part of the fun, I agree; but there are just a few too many places where there are very sharp angles and the Scorpions get caught up on them. I don't think it would decrease difficulty at all if you smoothed out some of these areas, since the ground will still be suitably uneven, but it just won't be so jarring to the vehicles. For example, there are places where you run into something and do a complete 180 instead of just bouncing up and riding over the bump. You can have bumpiness without having unrealistically sharp, triangular edges for everything!

[Edit] Also, there's a whole lot of rocks floating in midair.

Last edited:

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Yeah great idea, and just a couple of months after I posted it on Epic forums :rolleyes:

Well, glad to see someone doing it anyway as I have not had the time.

MJpoland

Apr 4, 2009
Ok, ok terrain will be more smoothly :rolleyes:

about the flying rocks - don't blame me, my Friend did it, I was correcting it 3 hours and I didn't find everything....:lol:

MJpoland

Apr 4, 2009
IMPORTANT NEWS!

You can play this map online!

IP ADRESS: 195.245.9.170:8888
and vote for "Scorpion Rally" gametype ;D