1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scope/Ironsight Accuracy

Discussion in 'General Infiltration Discussion' started by Falke, Dec 9, 2003.

1. C22-Mort

C22-Mort New Member

I've found the Scopes fine, having come from vanilla I wasn't aware of how badly low-stamina would affect the "weapon-bob", but now it's second nature, Iron-sights or Scope, I usually hit the target if I take a second or so to set up the shot, and this is what makes 2.9 great IMHO, in Vanilla 2.86 I would frequently get annoyed when having set-up a shot from 100-150M, the guy would bunny hop about and hip me with a shottie!

In 2.9, I've found there's nothing at all to be gained by rushing your set-up, occasionally I've had to blast away with the FAMAS, but at least in 2.9 you know you got lucky if you got them!

2. jayhova

jayhova Don't hate me because I'm pretty

I have noticed this too. In INF I never use a scoped weapon. At 300m it's actually easier to hit with a non-scoped weapon. I find that a great deal of my shots in INF are snap shots where I only have a split second to line up the shot. I almost never hold my breath on iron sights.

3. Gnam

Gnam Member

BTW, quick technical question, why do the crosshairs not indicate where the barrel is actually pointing? Because your breath is moving your eye up and down so it's looking through the scope at an angle instead of straight? Why is this not an issue with irons?

4. Rostam

Rostam PSN: Rostam_

It is an issue, just a smaller one.

5. perrin98

perrin98 New Member

I'd like to throw my $0.02 in on this one.

First off I'd like to remind everyone that most shots fired in combat are supressive fire. In Infiltration, even the M249 isn't used for supressive fire...infact it can be used like a sniper rifle in most respects. Overall, all the weapons in the game are too accurate. I think the breath wobble of the iron sights is way too small. I also believe that holding your breath should not make the weapon perfectly still. Your average soldier doesn't have that kind of skill with the weapon. Maybe reducing it to a very minor up-and-down motion, or adding the occasional twitch (your muscles tend to twitch slightly when you hold your breath) would fix things up.

As it stands, I'd like to see more rounds going down range and less hits...a proper section attack would be intense. I don't think it'd take much work, either, but I know nothing of Uscript.

Kindof unorganised, but it gets my opinion out there.

-LordPerrin

6. Demosthanese

Demosthanese .

7. keihaswarrior

keihaswarrior New Member

I agree. But it isn't that the guns are too accurate. It is that they are too easy to shoot accurately with. Big difference there. A big reason why the RAv2 mutator was so succesful, was that it made shooting accurately much harder and more time consuming.

8. ravens_hawk

ravens_hawk New Member

Something that I'm sure others have said before but I'd like to point it out again.
    The guns are way too accurate. As Beppo said "you can get a so tight grouping that it is hard to tell if it was one or several shots that hit the spot."
    Now as I understand it in real life, the PSG1 should be capable of around 1 MOA, it game it would appear to be much better than that. As well, although I have yet to test it thoroughly I'm pretty sure the M-16 (with an ACOG) would be capable of around 1 MOA (if not better), which also seems high. I don't know, perhaps a certain amount of inherent inaccuracy with all weapons would be more towards real life, as well as a small amount of bob (although its hard to gauge the bob over the short distances we're viewing at.)
    Speaking of bob, is it for game play reasons that the PSG1 has more view bob (without controlling breath) than an M-16 with a ACOG? It would seem to contradict intuition that the heavier weapon would be more affected by your breathing than a lighter one (considering that the PSG1 weights almost twice as much as an M-16.)
    One last stupid question:
    Beppo had said
    "Well, the scope and the iron sights do use different 'bobing' values of course. Never try to compare a weapon without scope with the same one with a scope attached - not even in real life. The weight alone is different and so the whole system (weapon plus aiming device) works differently and the soldiers do use it differently."
    Why exactly is this? I honestly don't know, I haven't fired many weapons before, but I fail to see how an ACOG that weights about 10 ounces, and rests in basically the same place as the iron sights would so drastically change how soldier would use the weapon. It wouldn’t surprise me if I’m completely off base with this one, but I’d like to know, I’m not a soldier.
    My intentions are not to nit-pick, I think this is a wonderful game, I would just rather it be as true to life as possible, but if that interferes with game play I fully understand leaving it out or altering it, this is a game after all.

PS Note for the comparison of the M-16 to PSG1 I did that at the range, with no loadout other than a knife, and prone at 100m. The PSG1 would hit basically the whole target (i.e. the entire square) whereas the M-16 would hit pretty well center mass of the target, without controlling breathing.

9. })FA|Snake

})FA|Snake New Member

It just feels very differenct because all your little movements appear that much more obvious, sour your much more self-concious of things like breathing.

Hmm I think you might be on to something tiffy, maybe RAv3 is in order? try increasing the ironsights wobble to that of the scopes. While your at it I think the hold breath time should be lowered, as well as the time it takes to go form full bob to controled breath. as it is now once you set up you can pretty much keep the rifle in a constant state of no bob, which would make an increased weapon bob for ironsights almost impossible for an attacker. Its seems to me someone shouldn't be holding their breath until they have a target.