Scientists Call Fish Fossil the 'Missing Link'

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
interesting read: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/s...tml?ex=1144641600&en=1dff24bd3c0616d1&ei=5087

Here's a tidbit:

link said:
Scientists have discovered fossils of a 375 million-year-old fish, a large scaly creature not seen before, that they say is a long-sought "missing link" in the evolution of some fishes from water to a life walking on four limbs on land.

in addition to confirming elements of a major transition in evolution, the fossils are widely seen by scientists as a powerful rebuttal to religious creationists, who hold a literal biblical view on the origins and development of life.

Several well-preserved skeletons of the fossil fish were uncovered in sediments of former stream beds in the Canadian Arctic, 600 miles from the North Pole, it is being reported on Thursday in the journal Nature. The skeletons have the fins and scales and other attributes of a giant fish, four to nine feet long.

But on closer examination, scientists found telling anatomical traits of a transitional creature, a fish that is still a fish but exhibiting changes that anticipate the emergence of land animals — a predecessor thus of amphibians, reptiles and dinosaurs, mammals and eventually humans.

The scientists described evidence in the forward fins of limbs in the making. There are the beginnings of digits, proto-wrists, elbows and shoulders. The fish also had a flat skull resembling a crocodile's, a neck, ribs and other parts that were similar to four-legged land animals known as tetrapods.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Why you guys are so hellbent on proving you feel good about not having any belief in a higher being must be awfully troubling for you.

Anything and everything to make yourself feel godlike must reinforce the true insecurity of your lives.

It's like proving fire is hot but you need to fly into the sun to prove it.

And again !!! there is NO mid term mutants or evolvers around nowdays so eveolution is illogical.

Last edited:

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
ReD_Fist said:
Why you guys are so hellbent on proving you feel good about not having any belief in a higher being must be awfully troubling for you.

Anything and everything to make yourself feel godlike must reinforce the true insecurity of your lives.

And again !!! there is NO mid term mutants or evolvers around nowdays so eveolution is illogical.

Everything is evolving all the time.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
OT
Hey. sandorski, your map opinions or comments are worth reading and fair minded, even that AHK gang mentioned that way back.Rock on..........

Nachimir

Crony of Stilgar
Aug 13, 2001
Shelf Adventure.
ReD_Fist said:
and again !!! there is NO mid term mutants or evolvers around nowdays so eveolution is illogical.

Except for that one they just found. You know, the one Proph linked in the first post? And the others.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Nachimir said:
Except for that one they just found. You know, the one Proph linked in the first post? And the others.

LIVING walking around proof, and a good amount of it would still be around and easily catagorized.

Cat Fuzz

Qualthwar's Minion. Ph34r!
Great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great Grandpa?? I'm so happy they finally found you!!! Now the family can have some closure.

ReD_Fist said:

I'm not trying to prove that I feel good about anything. The only one I see troubled here is you and all the other creationists who are flipping over this thing.

You don't need God to believe in something.

ReD_Fist said:

Whose insecure? :rolleyes:

ReD_Fist said:

No. It's not.

The only illogical thing in this thread is your post.

Cat_Fuzz said:
Wow, this is the evidence I've been looking for so I can renounce my faith.

not

You know what, I didn't make this thread to renounce anyone's faith.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
And the thing is, is I am a big science type thinker person.I also would need evolution PROOF wich there is none.

At the same time I believe it is to damn convenient the way we are all here so well placed and surviving on planet earth.Not to think I am the end all say all.You could say God gave you the brains or thought action to disbelieve.

like when when you see a house you say, oh a house.
The guy who planned the house and the people who built the house drive by and think, hmm I should have put that extra extension or added that one light.

So the people who live in the house don't have the same concerns as the planner or builder.
Soooooo, who's to have the self rightuousness of thinking they are the end word and striving to PROVE that the house came out of thin air just because they live in it.

Cat Fuzz

Mister_Prophet said:
You know what, I didn't make this thread to renounce anyone's faith.

I didn't say you did but the part of the article you pasted sure seems bent on sticking to Christians. I really don't care what "evidence" they conjur up, it won't change my beliefs since I'm sure that no human can explain or understand everything. Only God knows how the universe works since He made it.

Can't read the rest of the article due to registration requirement and I'm not registering just to read one story.

Cat Fuzz said:
I didn't say you did but the part of the article you pasted sure seems bent on sticking to Christians. I really don't care what "evidence" they conjur up, it won't change my beliefs since I'm sure that no human can explain or understand everything. Only God knows how the universe works since He made it.

Oh give me a break Fuzz, any sticking they give to Christians is well deserved :rolleyes:

Scientists didn't pick a fight with creationists, it was the creationists who took the defensive. It's creationists who go to the great lengths to combat evolution. Intelligent Design, are you freaking kidding me? What do scientists do? They find stuff...

Red Fist said:
And the thing is, is I am a big science type thinker person.

No you're not :)

Red Fist said:
I also would need evolution PROOF wich there is none.

Proof that they found a fossil that exhibits traits that show an early change to land-based organisms? The proof is there. You're not looking at it like a fossil that shows these changes, you're looking at it as "Proof" to disprove God and creationism, and that isn't the point.

It's like if I found DNA evidence in a murder trial and your the defense attorney and you're trying to tell me that the DNA evidence I found doesn't prove that aliens exist. It's irrelevant.

Red Fist said:
At the same time I believe it is to damn convenient the way we are all here so well placed and surviving on planet earth.

What is so convieniant about evolution that isn't overshadowed by the bigger convieniance of God?

Red Fist said:
Soooooo, who's to have the self rightuousness of thinking they are the end word and striving to PROVE that the house came out of thin air just because they live in it.

This arguement could be used to disprove God, not a missing link. There's more "poofing out of thin air" in religion than science.

Last edited:

Cat Fuzz

Mister_Prophet said:
There's more "poofing out of thin air" in religion than science.

Excuse me? The idea that the entire universe just began to exist and randomly, in the right places, created life from itself without cause is pretty "poofing out of thin air" to me.

This "fish" proves nothing about macro-evolution. Could have been some random defect or fatal mutation. I hope scientists of the distant future don't look at ancient cat skeletons with 6 toed feet and claim they found the missing cat link. :lol:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Mrproph""This arguement could be used to disprove God, not a missing link. There's more "poofing out of thin air" in religion than science.""

But the people who OWN and LIVE in that house cannot read the planners mind as he drives by.
So yes they can speculate (someone) desighned the house and (someone) built the house,but they have no right to tell the planner you can't think you wanted to add that light.

So just because the residents (evolutionists and the like) drag up proof or not. What gives them the right to think there is no desighner(god).
In humans case we are like a 1 atom sized bug, hell we only made it to the moon, so ruling out a higher being by studying the house(earth) isn't enough to cause alarm, but the non believers think they know it all and disregard people who trust there is a desighner.