1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

School 4 FREE??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gun_Asylem, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gun_Asylem

Gun_Asylem The Ultimate Weapon

im looking into going to college for game design and programming.
    however, im about as poor as a cockroach and dont want to pay for school.(i havnt so far so why start now).
    Now i know it is possible to find grants and such ways to pay for college and to never have to pay anything back.
    I was actually wandering if any of you know of anywhere i could look into for this..

PS:(i dont want a job being a game designer, i just want to learn to mod my own games more professionally and MAYBE do it as a job later)

2. GotBeer?

GotBeer? The nozzle is now calibrating

If you're doing this for personal benefit and not a degree, why not just sneak into your local college's classes? That won't cost you anything except possible fines and jailtime. :p

3. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

It's called the internet, it's the only free school on the planet.

4. Plumb_Drumb

Plumb_Drumb yumb

lmfao.
    I do that every onece in a while.

Problem is, I've been going to this college on and off for years now, and all of the teachers are getting to know me now.

Hard to get away with it anymore.

5. Zenny

Zenny I'm gonna steal your girlfriend.

Actually, a fair bit of states have an open-seat program where you can sit in on any of the classes provided there is an open seat. You cannot receive credit or coursework, but you can still listen to the lectures. Also, google for MIT's OpenCourseWare - it's every handout / lecture summaries for MIT classes. Extremely useful for learning on your own.

6. BioBlizzard

BioBlizzard YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE !

:D lol

7. Gun_Asylem

personally i was hoping to do the classes over the online programs...

ive been doing it, but finding the info is becomeing increasingly difficult due to little kids who make websites about nothing and name it something stupid.

Plus, over the web schooling will allow me to keep several programs that they provide for the classes for free..
    ill get a list of the programs so u can price eval ...

8. DeathBooger

DeathBooger Malcolm's Sugar Daddy

www.3dbuzz.com has a lot of Unreal Ed tutorials.

You're not going to get software or schooling for free, you might as well give up on that idea.

9. Airmoran

Airmoran Construct

If all you want to do is to create mods and program games, then a college-level education is overkill. I have the least idea how those game design courses are, but something tells me that you might as well major in something... applicable.

Anyways, yeah. Just google some tutorials and have some patience. I have the least idea how info can be hard to find, seeing how Google's the only textbook needed for all engineering and computer related majors. :p

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  10. Gun_Asylem

THEY GIVE U FREE PROGRAMS AND IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET SCHOOLING FOR FREE.. MY moms co-worker did it.. but she had an accident and cant remember that kind of stugff NEmore..
    PLUS she was being paid to go to school literally she got to keep watever she didnt spend on books.
    Plus the only other thing i was good at in HIGH SCHOOL was ACCOUNTING..
    BUT FU** THAT BORING...

PLUS IVE USED ALL THE TUTORIALS I CAN FIND ON UED1 - UED3

like i said if anyone knows how someone did it or has any help id appreciate it

LEARNING IS FUN.. BUT its HOW you learn that makes it all worth it

11. Daedalus

Daedalus I don't even...

fastweb.com

plethora of scholarships.

EDIT: I may mention that I'm going to AIP for Game Art & Design myself. Having experience and material that you've already released definitely helps.

12. Jackal

Jackal Crapass

Well, I wouldn't worry about college classes right now. I think you need to start off in maybe 5th grade where they teach spelling.

13. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

You should start using YOU instead of U first.

There's no profesional Collegial course that is free, private is really costy and public is more affordable for most people. Best way to get in there is to have the skills, the porfolio and the passion for it.

I know where i want to go and i will do my best to get in there as level designer.

14. dragonfliet

dragonfliet I write stuffs

Um, scour the scholoarship websites, fill out a FAFSA (depending on how poor you are you can get a fair amount paid for) and take out loans. Like it or not, there's no way to get free school unless you're brilliant in High school, aced the SATs or you play a sport so well they're willing to bring you in for it. If you want to learn game design, you're going to take a crapload of CSE type classes and that will be good for many jobs not just related to gaming.

If you really, really want to avoid paying for school or taking out loans, then skip learning from the internet, go and get as many different programing/design (there are some interesting books on level design/game design, but ANY design will help you immensely surprisingly enough), etc. You can get many of these from your local library (if they don't have it, reserve it and they'll send it from another affiliated library. If you've been hanging out at the college and they're getting to know you, approach one of the professors that's nice and admit you're not a student and have been droppiing in, that you don't have the $$ and you want to learn. They're either A) let you continue coming to their classes because it makes them feel awesome or B) they make simply give you a list of required books (you'll have to ask though) so you can learn on your own or C) they'll tell you to piss off. In which case, ask another proffessor. Being pitiful but eager is an admirable quality to most people.

Good luck, but seriously: go to school, it's worth it.

~Jason

15. Gun_Asylem

once again stressing this....
    I KNOW someone who was going to school for free.
    and they were giving her enough money to buy groceries once a week
    Critisizing this wont make it not true.

ALSO...

unless you have some helpful hints like,
    dragonfliet
    Daedalus
    GotBeer?
    Zenny
    And others
    , then dont bother even posting because your not helping...YOU (as Kantham would insist) are merely just posting to show off but i dont need that.

ITS A FORUM NOT AN F'n ESSAY.. IF U can read it then its FINE

sorry for the attitude but some people deserve it...
    and thank you again for those who are trying to help i really do appreciate it.

16. Kantham

Kantham Fool.

You are taking the whole thing way too seriously.
    If you aply for a job, then write stuff like the way you do right now and say "Who cares, as long as you can read it" you think it will be easy to get into it? I don't think so.

I'd like to know why people who try to help you should deserve this, this is an internet forums and you have all your time to write correcly. English is not my native language and i do my best to write it correcly, and if someone is saying that i have a bad grammar then i try to improve, which is my case right now, even in this post.

Also, you are asking for a free school, there's no free school beside the internet. And the internet will only expend your knowledge, not your profesional status in the working world (<-is that even a word?) .

17. Airmoran

Airmoran Construct

Scholarships, financial aid, for all we know it could just be a loan. Hell, my tuition fees are null thanks to scholarships. We're not saying your example didn't happen, we're saying it's likely it won't happen to you.

You're apparently out of High School and I'm guessing you've never attended a college-level class. The state's done with you, so from now on education's your choice and also on your wallet. Anyways, the idea is, don't limit your mentality to "either it's free or I won't do it," since most schools won't agree with that idea. Also, the half-assed "I'm dong it for fun" attitude might get in the way.

Find scholarships to reduce your tuition fees. Other than that, prepare to cough up money. Take one or two at your community college as a part-time student. It'll cost money, but if you're half as dedicated as you want to be, then it'll be well worth the money.

Oh yeah, no, it's not an essay, but please, have standards. It does take time to decode the "typos" and reduces readability. But it mostly just looks silly... especially if you're asking about higher education.

18. discreet

discreet i love lamp.

dude, stop being a little baby. if you are poor, but you are 18 years old and have graduated high school, you can GET A JOB. it's not that hard. i have a big high interest loan in my name, and i don't even work that much and i get by just fine.

i know someone who has a grant that pays for his education. he didn't get it because he's a whiny lazy ****, he works full time and goes to school, and has to help support his family while he does it and he's only 20 years old. it won't kill you to get a job.

19. Thrash123

Thrash123 Obey Leash Laws

Assuming you work in a public school, your college loans will be forgiven over a period of time after you graduate with an education degree.

With a high enough ACT score (or SAT), and a good GPA, you can get free rides/paid rides to schools. I know a few people who have done this, but you need at LEAST a 30 on your ACT (dunno about the SAT), and pretty darn close to a 4.0 GPA.

Or, you can become a sports guy, and get a full ride to a uni with a sports program.

There is no easy way to get to college - it'll either cost you a lot of money, or a lot of time studying.

It isn't just about intelligence - you have to have the presentation, too. You can't be a slob, you can't be lazy, and you absolutely MUST work hard once you get there. They don't pay you to earn a 3.0 - they usually tell you what classes you will take, what programs you will be involved in, and the lowest GPA I've seen for a full ride (other than jock rides) was a 3.8.

20. Gun_Asylem

well i did find something notable in my search
    http://www.gameinstitute.com/

Thanx Daedalus for the link... i filled it out but it wasnt very oriented towards my path in gaming.

also, i never said that i "wanted it free or not at all" i simply asked if anyone knew where i could find something similar to free. Cheap is just as good
    im not investing in my future, just my knowledge

(turned into an English class)
    What i was trying to imply was that because this is a forum i may type out what i wish as long as what i type is readable. and no i wouldnt write like this on official papers or even in my stories. (I AM NOT DUMB just lazy)
    also, writing is a freedom of how you do it as well as what you say. everytime you impress your way of communication you are insulting mine

PS: i am lazy but im a hard worker... those who are like me understand what that means.

KANTHAM is what a word?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.