UE3 - UDK Scaling movement based on direction

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dakatsu

Elite Nova Corps Member
Mar 25, 2005
So, I've searched for any info related to changing movement speed based on direction, and although I found information, it doesn't appear to work in UE3. I simply want to slow the pawn if they are strafing or moving backwards. I would also like advice for a Sprint function that forces the player to go forwards.

Thanks in advance :)

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
I'm guessing you ran across the threads covering the fact that the ModifyVelocity function does not appear to work in UT3. You could try "brute forcing" the velocity limitations in the tick function (though make it simulated sot that clients will run it too) of your custom pawn class, its probably not as nice as the modifyvelocity function (based on when it is called in the physics update chain) but it should work.

Here is the thread that covered a basic movement scaling code implementation. Castaa wrote a more generalized version into a mutator.

Last edited: