Scaleform GFx Bundled with Unreal Engine 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Scaleform in this instance is a flash integration into UE3 - which makes it perfect for constructing the larger part of a user interface system. If you've seen bad examples, you can pin that down to the developers more than Scaleform.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I still don't see how 3D tilting of every single 2D element is good. I'm not bored of 2D menus at all, menus are supposed to be shown when your characters look into their pocket computers and such. Do they have 3D? No. They don't need it. And it makes readability diminish. Not to mention lack of mouse support (although as we can see it can be implemented).

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
That's just a feature of the software. Noone is forcing anyone to use it.

It could however be used for something such as say, a 3d interactive globe / map or whatever doesn't translate so well into a 2d environment. Dead Space used it for their maps, although I can't say I liked the way they did that.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
That's just a feature of the software. Noone is forcing anyone to use it.

It could however be used for something such as say, a 3d interactive globe / map or whatever doesn't translate so well into a 2d environment. Dead Space used it for their maps, although I can't say I liked the way they did that.
Yes, that's true. Hopefully it will stay that way, but I have a bad feeling about this...

I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but all of my pockets are 2d menus!
:lol:

Uhh, your point?

shletten

Shletten
Jul 16, 2008
Canada\Québec
I watched the Scaleform 3D Interface video on YouTube and I was pretty amazed by what I've seen. It looks like a neat application... oh if that UT3 UI was avalaible, I sure would pick it!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Oh yeah Scaleform. I can only imagine how some of the game I've played would have been without it. I've seen some games really exploit the tool to it's best. Rocksteady on Batman Arkam Asylum for instance, really got that well.

The pop-ups in borderlands were just too handy as well. And the "floating" menu was a nice touch.

People keep saying "it's just menu's, not actual gameplay" but what really the menu/UI does is complement the level of polishing a game has. There's just so many games on the market with much more decent UI's than UT3's not to be bothered with this detail.

I can imagine the guys at the office went "OMG" and "We'll buy that!". Efficient proof of that statement is this topic.
The UT3 menu they had on there was sooo kick-ass. I love it. Lots of vibe and colors, that's exactly how I picture the next UT, if there's ever going to be one.

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I see why web pages could use Flash (even though I don't really like it), but a game engine with a sophisticated high-level scripting language like UnrealScript and a graphical scripting tool like Kismet? Would have made much more sense if the required scripting was done in one of the already existing facilities.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Aside from general flexibility, this way you can let someone who knows a thing or two about interfaces (and thus likely Flash) design it and then integrate it into your game instead of letting game designers work on it.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I really like the UT3 menu in that video; it would be the best looking one in the entire Unreal series D:
Nice to know Scaleform's gonna be on UDK, too.

Last edited:

ZixXer

Jun 10, 2008
I just made a site (still wip)
That got the exact same 3d effect ahhhhhhh

Why did it come now, thay could have waited a week or so when i got the site up online....