1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Satellite antenna - construction design

Discussion in 'Other Stuff' started by Varpu, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Twrecks

Twrecks Spectacularly Lucky

2. JTRipper

JTRipper Chimpus Maximus

I don't know why, but watching this project kicks ass.

3. Varpu

Varpu Novice Nali City Reviewer

If you were my son watching over my shoulder I would hand you the welder helmet and say: "Give me a hand to get this circus on the road sooner".

I have now started a series of web pages @ here. I will keep you informed as the design progresses.

I have already contacted the local machinery (SP?) for manufacturing the center pole bearing houses. Those must be milled down to 1/100 millimeter accuracy so I quess I must hand that job over to someone who can count those.

Also - I have cleaned the actual place out of debris and moss. The surface is quite flat and there should not be any difficulties to get the thing fastened there. It is very easy when you have hard and solid rock under there.

4. Twrecks

I'm curious why you didn't opt for tapered roller bearings for the main spar, oppsed to the two sets (deep groove angular contact). prolly price.
    Tapered roller bearings you can preload the piss outa and still freely rotate and are better choice for low RPM applications.
    Thanks for the plug on page 3 :)

5. Varpu

Tapered bearings would have been a killer because they really are simple to use - but as you quessed - they are VERY expensive. About 5 times the price.

There was also a price issue on choosing the size of the bearings. If you double the size of the bearing - the price seems to be multiplied by a factor of 5 as well.

LOL - I also noticed that it is quite hard to get ordinary steel tubes WITHOUT galvanization. Not everyone is plumbing. The galvanization makes welding a nightmare - the zinc creeps into the seam and makes it very weak. It also squirts stuff around - and that "stuff" is HOT. Ever had a drop of liquid iron in your pants or shoe? Makes you take the shoe (or pants) off no matter what... :)

I have updated the Mechanical construction - Main bearings page.

I have to lend the digital camera from our office ...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2003
  6. Twrecks

Zinc fumes are hazardous, and overhead welding sucks.
    Too bad you couldn't scrounge some junkyards. Tractors/Trucks use big tapered roller bearing for their wheels. Heck, you could just liberate an Axle and spare yourself some machining.

7. Varpu

Have you ever tried to weld with a thing like this?
    [​IMG]
    I have this model (over 20 years old) and it works nicely on thick steel - as long as you can get the welding sticks. Welding thin plates - I prefer my mig.