1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SAS setup in UT2Vote

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Da Kril, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Da Kril

Da Kril New Member

SAS v2.1 Lion's Den

Anyone tried adding this one via UT2Vote? It's big and hairy like Red Orchestra. I am considering adding SAS v2.1 to our server, but its sheer size makes me want to be sure it will work before I push 1.5 GB of crap up onto the server. :eek:

Any help appreciated, thanks,
    Da Kril

2. Imaginos

Imaginos Deathball addict?

I split this out for the discussion. Once we have a working setup, we'll move it back.

Got any links to it?

3. Imaginos

From my initial researching, it appears to be no worse than RO. You will have to manually add the SAS paths to the ut2004.ini and most likely set CustomGame=true in the Gameconfig line of ut2vote.ini.

Give it a try and we'll guide you as needed.

4. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

the only mods i couldn't get working with ut2vote atm are fragops (same names for menu-classes etc as original) rocketeer (kicking all mutators) and partially alien-swarm (top down perspective not showing the menu).

5. Da Kril

Da Kril New Member

This is the home of the SAS mod
    That has an SAS manual and a server manual, though it's somewhat incomplete.

Read a bit about it, download it from here

Btw, SAS is Special Air Service, or the British/Australian equivalent to Navy SEALs. It focuses on playing with realistic modern weapons like AK-47, sniper rifles, night goggles and various grenades using teamwork.

So, using the Red Orchestra strings/info as a model, I am gonna upload the beast? I will be back after several days (heh), and let you know how it goes.

I'm sure I will have questions, thanks for the offer of help, :D
    Da Kril

6. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

search for a friend, who will directly upload it from his root-server to your server via ftp. contact me or mephisto (i guess) and you'll have it on your server in a few minutes. Why don't you ask your server-hoster, to "upload" it for you?

7. Da Kril

Da Kril New Member

OK, I've got the files all up on the server now (currently in their own SAS directory in the UT2004 directory, as the mod installs them).

I will try it out with UT2Vote hopefully late tonight when the server's empty (heh, if it gets empty).

One quick question, Imaginos, you mention putting the paths in the UT2004.ini file (which I expect to have to do), but in an earlier thread about SAS and UT2Vote, ProAsm wrote:
    Just checking — does this mean the SAS game-type files must NOT reside in the SAS System folder, but in the UT 2004 System folder instead? And the one path I should NOT specify is "Paths=../SAS/System/*.u"?

Also, I plan on putting these paths below the stock UT paths in the .ini file — is that OK?

Thanks in advance, again,
    Da Kril

8. tdw-socke

tdw-socke New Member

i have all mod path below the standard, and all mod files stay in their folders.

9. Da Kril

Da Kril New Member

Thanks, Socke. I appreciate it.

10. Imaginos

What he said. ;)

Word of caution: When you add extra path statements to your ini, keep in mind that when UT goes looking for a file, it will stop at the first correctly named one in the first folder it looks in. If there's a texture file in a mod that has the same filename as one that exists in stock UT, you're in for trouble. An Example of this trouble would come with a custom menu or thumbnails such as Deathball uses. Being that these files do not affect gameplay, you may opt to alter the server's existing stock files to make the conflicting textures into ClientOptional. This is done by setting packageflags with the ucc.exe commandlet and will result in the server running happily with clients that are both running stock menu textures as well as any mod-altered clients.