1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UE1 - UT S3TC - Replacing particle-driven textures with pre-animated textures

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by DaveW, May 4, 2011.

1. DaveW

DaveW New Member

(Yeah, I really couldn't fit the topic description into a succinct title)

I'm currently working on the Deus Ex mod New Vision. So far I've been using the method of combining low-res and high-res packages using the mergedxt function of UCC. However recently I've been trying to break out the limitations of the original art, such as adding many more frames to original animations.

So - the map looks for a file in a texture package, i.e. Paris > Concrete > Floor_A. Instead of the original texture, it finds in it's place my new high resolution texture and uses it instead.

Right now I'm trying to replace some of the particle-driven textures in Deus Ex with pre-rendered animations. These are all stored in a package "Effects.UTX" and are called things like "Flame_D" or "Gas_Tear_A". But if I want to have a texture animate I have to add a "A00" suffix, meaning I can't just place an animated texture with the same name and trick the engine into loading it instead of the original texture. I hope that makes some sense.

So, how would I get a texture called "Flame_D" to play an animation? How would I trick it to load an animated texture with that name?

I'd really appreciate any help - I'm fairly novice when it comes to UnrealEd!

-Dave

2. Spiney

Spiney New Member

Hey, I can't help you with this, but just wanted to say I'm a big fan of the New Vision beta and hope you guys release a new version at some point :)

3. DaveW

DaveW New Member

Thanks - I appreciate it. I'm working on a new version to come out fairly soon, I'm just working on replacing some of the very low-detail effects. Unfortunately the engine doesn't want to render animated textures for effects like smoke, which seems to be a hard-coded engine limitation.

4. EQ²

EQ² Code Monkey

Actually the suffix isnt required to make the texture animate, all that's required is to link the textures that comprise your animation together using the AnimNext property. The A00 suffix is just an editor shortcut which automatically sets that property at import time - you can happily change it later. So basically just import your animated texture sequence as normal and then change the name of the first texture in the animation.

5. DaveW

DaveW New Member

Ah, this is exactly what I needed. I just assumed the A00 was a requirement, but yeah - I've now got it animating in UnrealEd.

Unfortunately the texture doesn't appear ingame. Someone else I've spoken to says that the engine doesn't like playing animations for "dynamic" textures (I assume particle-driven effects like explosion and smoke). So I don't know if this is something I can work around or not.

6. Spiney

Spiney New Member

Just thinking out loud here but...

Perhaps you could use a gameplay script to devise a workaround.
    For instance, rather then animate the texture, swap the entire entity.
    So say you have 16 frames you could have 16 particles that replace eachother.
    That probably would be slow as hell compared to an animated texture though.
    Maybe you could say... spawn 16 at once but have a timer function that flicks visibility on and off for the duration of the frame.

Another way could perhaps be to use vertex animation combined with UV mapping to do some kind of flipbook effect.
    So the vertices that relate to one part of the texture atlas expand, while those of the previous frame stored in the texture atlas contract back into a point or line.
    So kind of abusing geometry to get a texture effect working.
    There shouldn't be any interpolation though, just switching positions.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  7. DaveW

DaveW New Member

The actual engine tech goes a bit over my head so excuse my ignorance, but would that require creating custom particle spawners in the maps? While that's possibly an option it might be outside the remit of the mod which is just replacing texture packages.

8. Spiney

Spiney New Member

Well frankly I'm not that knowledgable in regards to the UE1, just have a rough idea about game engines tend to work in general. Just brainstorming possible solutions here really.

Perhaps just update the textures and put the animated particles on the list of possible future updates :)

If I recal correctly though, aren't the gas-grenade particles animated?