1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Runtime looks bad... :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir_Brizz, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Sir_Brizz

Sir_Brizz Administrator Staff Member

This is an idea that looks like REALLY flopped. Very sad if you ask me.

Was this question ever answered during the short time the Runtime was actively being used?

Can you use the runtime engine for non-commercial, game intent to try and solicit the money of a publisher for your project and get a full license to the full engine to proceed with? So far I don't recall this ever being properly addressed and Vito seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth.

2. [SAS]Solid Snake

[SAS]Solid Snake New Member

Basically put, yes and no. Yes in that you can show respective publishers the product but you aren't allowed to release it on the net or distribute in any form that may get publically released.

But to be honest, UE2 Runtime it outdated technology pretty much. UT2004 has the same engine but it's been built upon and also updated. Also UE2Runtime IS NOT for newbies to coding as it has very little example code base or in fact little code base to work from. While a lot of people say that UT2004 contains a lot of 'junk' code, they don't actually realise a lot of work is already done for them such as important replication (which they DO actually enouncter later on) and so on. UE2Runtime is designed to teach and to learn, not to make games with (as silly as that sounds).

A lot of newbies to Unreal try to use UE2Runtime and most of them tend to just give up as it is quite hard to understand the lower under lying classes as they do a lot of things and a lot of those things are also natively coded too. Thus, it's more recommended to use UT2004 or UT as a base instead. Even then you are able to show respective publishers your work, as it is your work they are interested, not what version of the engine.

3. Angel_Mapper

Angel_Mapper Goooooooats

The company I'm working for has a license to make a commercial game with the Runtime (educational game).

If you're looking to get the attention of a publisher I'd use 2k4, for one it's the updated version of the engine (Runtime is for game design schools), and you can release what you make with 2k4.