1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Router

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by GoldenMouse, Feb 24, 2002.

1. GoldenMouse

GoldenMouse Mad Hatter

Jokerman has talked me into getting a router. I found this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1265/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_67_1/103-8153447-0347006

I already have two hubs and a switch, so an integrated switch is not a necessity, only a nice little bonus. It needs to cost under 200 dollars, but under 100 is preferable. Does this one look allright, or is there a better one out there for my money?

How would using a router affect hosting a UT game?

2. SpiritWalker

SpiritWalker Tattooed Beat Messiah / Prime Mover

Ethernet router allows 32 users to share a single Internet connection
    Supports TCP/IP, RIP-1, DHCP, and NAT protocols
    Firewall protection keeps hackers out of your business
    FirstGear wizard provides quick installation
    Compatible with Internet conferencing, RealAudio, RealVideo, ICQ, and most multiplayer games ..

WoW.. it's a bit pricey...32 users?? do you need that many?? the supporting protocols are good but you don't need RIP-1 and NAT really isn't going to be used in your home is it?

Rip is used for remembering route tables, which is a good thing, but eventually the route table will fill up and cause you some problems when surfing until the table is cleared.. (admin stuff that you might not want to mess with..I don't know your skill level)..but it can improve you 'net surfing..and will GREATLY improve your INTRAnet proformance.. but that is if you are going to have lotsa users/workstations

NAT (network address translation) is basically the same as ICS (internetconnection sharing) ..and you really don't need that, unless you are going to be trying to log in remotely to your network.. you can learn all about NAT by typing NAT at the Start-Help-index and then typing NAT in the keyword..

it looks like a good router.. but it may be over kill.. try this one

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...01095/sr=1-12/ref=sr_1_12/104-3251246-3025567

it might be more of what you need at a lesser price

3. SpiritWalker

here is another one.. BTW this is assuming that you do have a cable modem/ADSL

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...4601265/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/104-3251246-3025567

this is the one that I use.. very easy to use..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...01408/sr=1-15/ref=sr_1_15/104-3251246-3025567

"The DI-704 acts as a natural firewall to protect your computer from intruders. Once your computer is set up to access the Internet through the DI-704, your network is invisible behind the DI-704. However, because some games and Internet applications work only with direct computer interaction, you can open specific ports to operate without the protection of the firewall to ensure that these applications will run properly"

UT, Half Life, RTCW, SS and a few others I play and there is no need for port configuration..but if you do need to..the instructions show you very clearly

and you can get all of these new a best buy cheaper than the used prices WITH warrenty and no shipping charges

4. GoldenMouse

GoldenMouse Mad Hatter

that other netgear one is lookin good

Suppose I want to host a game of UT on my pc, and have someone off my LAN connect...what then?

5. SpiritWalker

you would go into ut set it (UT) up as a server.. and have your server listed ..that way other peoples can see it in the server list..or you can give them the UT server IP..

6. GoldenMouse

GoldenMouse Mad Hatter

I'm not likely to advertise it.... So you're saying that, despite being behind a router, I can give my IP (assigned by the router, not my rr IP, that the router will then use) to a buddy on the other side of town, and he can connect to my UT server?

7. SpiritWalker

you got it..it's a little more complex than that.. but once you get into it..yeah that's really all there is to it..you will need to open a port on the router to accept/forward those UT requests and maybe set up a forwarder.. but that is easy

8. GoldenMouse

GoldenMouse Mad Hatter

so all that's left is to convince those paying the bill that it is really in their best interests to put out a bunch at once, rather than a bunch more over time. I don't think it will be that difficult.

9. Rukee

Rukee Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!

GET THIS ROUTER!!!!!
    it`s the best!! easy to set up...makes hosting games easy....and I never had a network work so good!!
    Just pop in the CD and give it your IP #`s and it does the rest. check it out .
    This one will open just the ports needed for each game and does it by game name...not port # making it very easy.

10. SpiritWalker

"The HomePortal connects your PCs using existing home phone wiring or wireless technology. It also has a USB connector and a 10 Megabits per second Ethernet connector for easy setup and additional flexibility. The easy-to-follow quick start guide provides specific instructions to support your particular home network environment."

Oh wow.. 10 MB!!! for ethernet.. umm mine runs at 10/100 and that is a key factor..

11. Rukee

What`s the problem??
    I can connect and dnld at my advertised speed of 760mb......
    What am I missing here??:confused:

12. Rukee

That works with the 2wire unit I have now....eveyone else joins by my I.P addy and I join the LAN game.... and it works!! :)

13. Rukee

Then what I do too is have one of the other machines in the LAN connection host the game and that frees up my machine to play on. I could never get a machine to host a dedicated server then play the same game without some problems. Just host with one of the other machines and join with yours.

14. GoldenMouse

GoldenMouse Mad Hatter

We're probably going to order today. The issue of convincing them still remains, but there's nothin really against using it, and using it will save money, even if negligibly (We share the cost, so their savings i sproportional to their share) Despite my best efforts, the furthest they've gone into the gaming scene is Spider Solitaire and FujiGolf, so I don't think they'll much appreciate the gaming benefits. (Maybe better to gloss over those) But now, I'll be able to use their comp as a dedicated server at the next LAN. ;)