Rolling Stone's sucky "Top 100 Guitarist" list.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UrsaMajor2

Aug 3, 2003
Visit site
Lizard Of Oz said:
A few others they failed to mention...

Michael Hedges
Alex Lifeson
Kenny Wayne Sheppard
Billy Gibbons
Eric Johnson
Lindsey Buckingham
Ted Nugent
Django Reinhart
Bonnie Raitt
Roy Clark
Chet Atkins
Johnny Winter
Tony Iommi
Pat Methany
Charlie Byrd
Al DiMeola
Allan Holdsworth

10-4, Liz.....

Umm...Leo Kottke and Steve Morse.

(I wouldn't complain about Nuge, though. He only knew one key and three songs.)

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Kenny Wayne Shepperd definitely should've been on the list. And Santana should have been higher. The problems with it are too many to list and I don't know guitarists too well anyways. :p

Mr. Scary

Speedemupus-Guitarist-Shreddish
Nov 10, 1999
Arizona
Visit site
No George Lynch!?!? Commie bastards are gonna pay severely. I was shocked to see Satriani's name off the list as well. Pure utter crap, from an over-rated magazine.

badmaninheaven

Powerslave
Jun 8, 2001
Green Hell.
WTF !?!?!?!
David Gilmour #82 ?
Had read the listy a while back, but never bothered to get to the end of it. Now that you mentioned it, WTF ?!?! 82 ?

Last edited:

LHABulldog6

Fall for that.
Feb 10, 2002
forums.beyondunreal.com
His solos' weren't lightning fast, but they were totally badass :)

Possibly most influental guitarists, rather than most skilled. Still, I dont agree with Steve How being ranked 66th. Hell, I dont agree with half this goddamn retarded list.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Lizard Of Oz said:
A few others they failed to mention...

Michael Hedges
Alex Lifeson
Kenny Wayne Sheppard
Billy Gibbons
Eric Johnson
Lindsey Buckingham
Ted Nugent
Django Reinhart
Bonnie Raitt
Roy Clark
Chet Atkins
Johnny Winter
Tony Iommi
Pat Methany
Charlie Byrd
Al DiMeola
Allan Holdsworth

That's a good list with one exception, I would substitute Jeff Healy in place of Kenny Wayne.

I've got Kenny Waynes "Live On", in fact i'm listening to it right now. ;)

Ya, he's good but he's just capitalizing on the memory of SRV. imo.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Mxtrmntr said:
Of all "classic" music papers, Rolling Stone is the one that seems most like some unmovable dinosaur to me (although it's by far not as frightening as the NME with its hype-and-drop-again mania :hmm: ). Please tell me if I'm wrong, I'm hardly an expert -_-'
No, I agree with you about NME. It's a pile of trash that I wouldn't deem fit to wipe my ass with, yet it's revered by the music industry (in the UK at least) as some sort of bible of music journalism. Shows how much they know. Magazines like RS and NME aren't about decent music journalism, they're (as tool said) the VH1's and MTV's of the music press: collect the money, hype the artist(s); then when the money runs out, drop 'em like a stone.

As for Rolling Stone's list, I don't dispute Jimi being #1, although it could be argued that plenty of guitarists could hold that position, depending on who you talk to.

The most glaring omission for me is John Mayer. This guy is one hell of a talented guitarist, and his playing on the Any Given Thursday version of "Covered in Rain" alone is evidence of that. Also, David Gilmour at #82 is a tragedy too. "Comfortably Numb" from the "The Wall: Live" tour is a work of art laid down on eight-track.

UrsaMajor2

Aug 3, 2003
Visit site
I would also place Jorma Kaukonen on the list, at least ahead or in place of some of the younger guitarists there - his acoustic country blues work is rich and beautiful.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Hanover_Fist said:
That's a good list with one exception, I would substitute Jeff Healy in place of Kenny Wayne.

I've got Kenny Waynes "Live On", in fact i'm listening to it right now. ;)

Ya, he's good but he's just capitalizing on the memory of SRV. imo.

I certainly would include Jeff Healy on the list, but no way I would take Kenny Wayne Shappard off the list. Maybe Joni Michell or Joan Jet or Johnny Ramone can be kicked to make room for a real guitarist like Jeff Healy.

badmaninheaven

Powerslave
Jun 8, 2001
Green Hell.
LHABulldog6 said:
His solos' weren't lightning fast, but they were totally badass :)

Possibly most influental guitarists, rather than most skilled. Still, I dont agree with Steve How being ranked 66th. Hell, I dont agree with half this goddamn retarded list.

What's speed gotta do with the greatness of a guitarist?
Close your eyes and go through the whole album: Wish You Were Here, just once more. (Or any gilmour album for that matter)
Pink Floyd = Godlike.
Pink Floyd >>> Black Sabbath.

LHABulldog6

Fall for that.
Feb 10, 2002
forums.beyondunreal.com
badmaninheaven said:
What's speed gotta do with the greatness of a guitarist?
Close your eyes and go through the whole album: Wish You Were Here, just once more. (Or any gilmour album for that matter)
Pink Floyd = Godlike.
Pink Floyd >>> Black Sabbath.

Speed has nothing to do with it at all. I wasn't making a criticism, I was praising him for not needing to be.
Pink Floyd is one of my two favorite bands, the other is Radiohead. I know they rock man. :)

0bside0

Transmogriphying...
Jul 20, 2000
Seattle, WA
www.klondike5.us
In all honesty, as far as squeeeeezing the most amount of feeling out of a single note, I think often of The Edge.... every note is very precious to his playing; nothing flashy.. perfectly felt.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
I'll add one more guy to the list...

Mato Nanji of INDIGENOUS

mato01.jpg

He's one of the few guys I've heard that could have given Stevie Ray a run for his money.

If you like Stevie Ray Vaughan and never heard this guy, do yourself a favor and listen to "Holding Out."

pReTTy_vAcaNt

formerly lafnboy
Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
OMFG. Johnny Ramone sucks ASS. he can arely play lead. All he does is power chords. :tdown:

And I don't see Generation X/Billy Idol's guitarist, Steve Stevens in there. That guy is ****ing AMAZING, even way back when he was in Generation X. Saw him with Bily Idol 2summers ago. ****Ing AMAZING.

And Kurt Cobain??? pfft. my ass.

Rolling Stone magazine = sucks my third right nipple.

grw2172

grw2172
Nov 22, 2008
Vermont
This is why Rolling Stone is only good for starting a fire- not reading! They don't have Nancy Wilson or Neil Schone on there, both EXCELLENT guitarists. Neil started playing pro @ 15 for Santana (this being AFTER Eric Clapton asked him to join Derrick and the Dominoes- Carlos called first) and Nancy is a grad of Juliard. I saw them both in concert recently (Journey and Heart are on tour together). Eddie Van Talentless?? Jonie I-Stum-A-Few-Cords-Mitchelle?? Curt Go-Bang?? ANd good as he was, he was a TRICKSTER more than a player, so WHY oh WHY is Jimmy Hendricks #1?!?!?!?!? Jimmy Page out plays almost everyone on this list hands down, including Hendricks. So does Stevie Ray. Jorma Kaukonen @ 54?!?!!? Get a solo album of his and listen to him play. One man, one guitar and you'de swear it was a quartet. So anyway, Rolling Stone sucks, always has, always will.

Last edited: