Robar RC50 scope questions/suggestion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

Well, without any real life hands on experience with RC50 (got some experience with sniper rifle thou :) ) and lacking vocabulary as well as technical expertise lets see if I can state this so it makes sense.

The current scope for the Robar has the cross hair reticule. Are there any reason why it doesn't have mildots? Especially on Road to Kandahar I could imagine mildots could be useful to approximate the lead needed as well as elevation on longer shots.

I'd suspect the reason for no mildots would be either that on the scope in question (don't know if the scope modelled is of any particular brand/type) there are no such things or that due to the limited realism concerning sniping it would just not be feasable. With limited I am refering to the fact you can not do any kind of adjustments with Elevation Knob and Windage knob.
(frankly, I have no idea if Robar would be equipped with such scope in the first place..)

Would this be something possible in a future version of inf? With new engine, and perhaps even larger maps, proper sniping might prove to be very satisfactory if done as real as possible. (might even earn some new community members of real snipers...who knows :) ).

Usage as far as I can tell with my lack of knowledge would be the possibility to do proper Mil Dot Ranging. Also the horizontal mildots could be used for holdoffs in wind conditions or as leads for moving targets.
Most importantly, and something mildots in the current version would make possible is the elevation hold-over and under.

Naturally, there are more to this than that, such as wind conditions, temperature, caliber used etc.

//Kee

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Agreed. Mil-dots would be nifty.

Presumably you'd have it work at full magnification (if you kept the variable power scope).

GruntX

Ruperts Handle war. Grunts Do war.
Feb 25, 2004
Sweden. Hate it.
It would be better to use a scale consisting of lines with different space between them and a number. If a (standing adult) human perfectly fit in between the lines marked "300", it would indicate that he is standing 300 meters away. The marksman could then tell the grenadier to zero in on 300m!
Other lines could be the "crosshair" when firing at certain ranges (which is judged by the former mentioned scale) if the bullet would have a drop (new engine). I have some experience of the damed dot system and they tend to cover the whole body (range: 700m > 500m dot is covering the whole body > sniper: Yes! Got it! 500m > rifle: BANG! > bullet: LEARN HOW TO AIM, YOU SON OF A..! > enemy: :lol: ).

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
I guess that mildots in a scope that can change it's magnification like in the RC50 makes no sense... that's all. Maybe some high-tech scope with the reticle displayed by projection or using an lcd could have variable mildots, but i've never heared of such a device. (I could design one easily, but it wouldn't fit in a scope hehe).

GruntX

Ruperts Handle war. Grunts Do war.
Feb 25, 2004
Sweden. Hate it.
geogob said:
I guess that mildots in a scope that can change it's magnification like in the RC50 makes no sense...

Magni... Mognifi... Mignufikation... Nope, can't spell it!
Who said something about magnification? Distancejudging should be done when a "fixed" zoom is set. I.e. most zoomed out/in or the middle setting.
Or using a scope without magnification.

It would be great if we could have more than one scope to chose from (only one per rifle) or no scope at all. What about Starlight Night Vision scope for the M16? It was sometimes used in Vietnam insted of Mad Minute!

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Yeah, a variety of scopes for different missions would be nice. But my personal beef with the scopes ( and the reason I think most people don't like sniping in the game ) is the horrible scope wobble. Sure all scopes move and jitter a little as your trying to keep it on target, but not like in game. It looks like the guy is intentionally moving his arms to mess up the shot. And then when you hold down the alt fire key it goes dead steady. So far I think the TrueScale mutator has promise though I think it gives the PSG a little too much magnification for 6x, and a little too little 24x magnification for the Robar. The slight jitter on the scope is near real, but then you get those long drags of an inch or more like spikes.
But as per my research, it seems a lot of .50 makers suggest a variable 6-24x scope for the .50 rifle, and the PSG-1 comes standard with 6x scope.
The wobble drives me crazy when Im trying to shoot fast semi with the scoped M16. My bullets are going all over the place!

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Yeah, I do that Beppo, but there is still way too much wobble, and when you hold the alt-fire down, its rock steady for about 3 seconds. Not realistic. I was looking through the scope on my Savage .250 today aiming out about 100 yards at 9x. There was very little jitter. I think the TrueScale mutator comes close to what it should be, except sometimes it suddenly does long movements of an inch or more which don't happen irl. I don't know gun laws in Germany ( even though I was born there, lol ), but it would be cool if you could look through a real scope and rethink the wobble.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Well, I disagree, unless my game is doing something yours isn't. I'll try to describe what Im seeing. When I pull up with the scope it seems to be going all over the place in a parabola ( think that right ) going up an inch or so on one side then coming down in a curve then going up an inch on the other side like a rocking boat in high seas. Not very realistic. I don't know if you've seen true scale but that seemed to be about right except for the sudden spikes. Wish I could do an animation or something to show what I see when I look through my real life rifle scope. Actually tried to get it on video but couldn't do it.
But if thats the way you intended it, ok, I'll try to make do with mutators like truescale.