Rise of the Triad

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I like how the level editor seems to be the strongest point about this title so far...

:/

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Game's finally out. Didn't notice though because I wasn't really looking for it. If anyone's bought it, be sure to post your opinion.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
It's been out since the beginning of the month. And even with the 1.02 patch, it's still

doesn't get any better at episode 2 either. It has some of the worst physics and worst levels i've ever played in a FPS. Hard to believe it averages 70 in review scores, pretentious nostalgia pandering I guess.

Wait for a sale so you can cry over burning less amounts of money.

and for the netplay, FYI it uses Raknet which sucks - and the multiplayers' dead already.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
It's been out since the beginning of the month. And even with the 1.02 patch, it's still

doesn't get any better at episode 2 either. It has some of the worst physics and worst levels i've ever played in a FPS. Hard to believe it averages 70 in review scores, pretentious nostalgia pandering I guess.

Wait for a sale so you can cry over burning less amounts of money.

and for the netplay, FYI it uses Raknet which sucks - and the multiplayers' dead already.
What didn't you like about the levels? The physics? Can you be more descriptive?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I wonder what people were expecting from this. Are the game speed and FOV as screwed up as they are in the videos posted here?

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I wonder what people were expecting from this. Are the game speed and FOV as screwed up as they are in the videos posted here?

You can't walk. Player acceleration is too low and movement speed is forced high. AI are practically aimbots. It's like Chrome all over again. Jumping over moving GADs is truly a bitch of fake difficulty.

Independently developed games are supposed to have an advantage of refined 'non-corporate' gameplay. This is not the case for ROTT. This only just makes me appreciate those big budgeted cookie cutters more.

Also, how the hell does a 2013 game.....with a much longer development cycle...... have less features and worse gameplay than a 1994 game? It overall feels forced and pretentious. You know it when there's that "99% OF THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM WERE LESS THAN THE AGE OF 10 WHEN THE ORIGINAL ROTT RELEASED" fact on the loading screen.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
"Classic fps" games had area-closing checkpoints instead of saves? I'm not going all RosetintedGoggles on it - even if it weren't riding on top of a 1994 game franchise it would still be a bad game. This is no Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Also it uses a full UnrealEngine3 license instead of UDK, so surely the budget was large enough to do that...

Last edited: