Review: Who Pushed Me 2K3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
[ Transcript of review for Who Pushed Me 2K3 | Posted by Dade on 2002-12-30 | Score: 7.7 ]
While the concept behind Who Pushed Me? 2003 is solid, and while WPM2k3 is sometimes useful, it is not absolutely critical to gameplay.

If you are unfamiliar with WPM for UT, it goes like this. Push foe into lava, you get frag. Push teammate into lava, you get team kill. Push self into lava, then the mut does nothing, you’re just a moron, he he. While not very practical, this mut does award frags for the rare time that you push an enemy into lava/acid or knock him or her off of a cliff/into space, which is good. If you knock a team mate into/off of whatever, than it is treated as a team kill, which is also good. Another added bonus of WPM2K3 is that it checks for spawn kills (defined in the mut as a kill during the first 3 seconds after spawning). For some people, this feature might be more useful than the pushing frags/penalties.

In UT, this mut was very useful because of how easy it was (sometimes) to knock your opponent into the flames/off of the asteroid. Also, when the occasional llama would go around pushing his own team into/off of whatever, this mut would be great. In UT2K3, however, it is significantly more difficult to knock someone off of/into whatever. This is because of the low momentum transfer of the basic weapons, and partly because of the maps themselves (i.e. most maps don’t have giant lava pits/acid pools). Another factor that must be included is the advanced dodging and especially the multi-jump abilities featured in 2K3. When used correctly, double-jumping can often save you from most attempts to push you into a hazardous area. Also, the translocator beacon has a higher speed, making it easier to save yourself by translocating out of danger.

One very important point I must make involves gravity. This mutator , 9 times out of 10, is perfectly useless in normal gravity, for reasons mentioned above. However, it becomes extremely practical with low gravity enabled, for obvious reasons. Again, its not incredibly simple to knock around your enemies, but with low grav, it is a lot easier.

I will say this, though. The concept behind WPM2K3 is the kind that should have been included in the game itself. Had it been included in 2k3, it would have been a nice perk, but not critical to gameplay overall. WPM2K3 is exactly the same; a nice thing to have, but not absolutely vital. If you find yourself pushing/being pushed around a lot, then this is the mut for you. If not, you can get this mut if you want, but it probably won’t bring tears of joy to your eyes.

-Dade