Review: Super Weapons X 1.6

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
[ Transscript of review for Super Weapons X 1.6 | Posted by Shuri on 2004-01-19 | Score: 7.5 ]
This review is a follow on from <a href=\"http://modsquad.beyondunreal.com/review.php?id=174\">this</a> earlier one. The majority of the weapons are similar to the same ones reviewed there, so check that out if you are new to the mutators. I won\'t go into as much detail here on the older weapons.

Now then, a quick introductory point. In the last review, I requested that the mutators be put together into a single one, and that has been done in the latest release, which I thank SamMaster for - it makes things a lot easier. But I\'d like to go further with that request this time around - for the good of himself and users, I really think he should put all of his weapons into the same .u package, so only one code file is used. In addition to this, I think he should compile the textures used into that code package as well. Then he should do away with the seperate weapon mutators altogether, and bask in the glory of having a single, much more complete (and much easier to install) mutator. (SamMaster, if you decide to go ahead with what I suggested there, but need help, just email me.)

There, now onto the weapons =)

<i>Retro-Plasma Assault Rifle</i>

As far as I know, unchanged from the last version - with the exception of having nice icons around every player (which work through walls). These are very nice when combined with the shoot-through-walls capability of primary fire.
A negative point in my opinion is sharing ammo supply with the Super Weapons Gattling Gun. I feel it should have a smaller, seperate ammo supply that replaces the (unused) grenades. In addition, I think the alt fire should actually use ammo, unlike being infinite at the moment. The alt fire sound is also very weak sounding.

<i>Super Flak Cannon X</i>

Now then, I am really not a fan of this one. As mentioned in the previous review, it is just a souped-up Flak Cannon, firing a lot more projectiles. Too much for me.
Secondary fire still sounds bad when it hits very close to me, due to the extreme number of flak shells.

<i>Super Rocket Launcher X</i>

Seems unchanged from previous version, and I am happy with it overall. The only problem being that it was very easy to commit suicide with.

<i>Black and White Gun X</i>

Ah, this is more like it. I mentioned in the earlier review that the weapon was very interesting, but ultimately flawed. Most of the flaws are now sorted, leaving an original, powerful, but more importantly FUN weapon.
Primary fires small light projectiles that move very fast and bounce off walls, and alt fire is slow moving dark orbs. When the light projectiles pass through the dark orbs, they turn into rockets that explode on impact. very fun, and hard to master. My complaints lie in the primary fire - the momentum on them is too high (although it does allow for \'light-jumping\' as I like to call it), and also the alt fire is too dull to be honest - it should have a more interesting texture than just plain black.
Framerates can still be low when using the weapon - a solution would be to limit the lifetime of the primary fire projectiles, as they last a long time.
Another thing I noted about the weapon was that the sounds were below-par. It would definately benefit from new ones.

<i>Super Weapons Magma Gun</i>

A new weapon to the SWX arsenal, that is nice but needs work. The primary fire is effectively the same as the Bio Rifle, but with magma. Once the magma is on the floor, a nice emitter is given off, but it would look a lot nicer if there was light grey smake given off as well as the thick black smoke. I can\'t help feeling primary fire is too weak, especially compared with the overpowering secondary.
Alt fire is a stream of fire - very powerful. My one complaint with it is the sound effect, which gets very frustrating.

<i>Super Weapons Gattling Gun</i>

Firstly, it is spelt Gatling :).
This weapon is very nice, possibly my favourite. Primary fire is... well just a minigun\'s fire, but with explosive bullets. However ordinary it osunds, it is very enjoyable to mow down your opponents with.
Secondary fire ejects the shell casings of the bullets, which bounce off walls/floors and explode on contact with an enemy. Extremely fun to use.
I really have nothing to pick holes with on this weapon, it just feels the most complete of the bunch.

Another thing to add about most of the weapons is that although they have new skins (and good ones at that), the ammo pickups still have regular skins. That should be changed.

So overall, I really enjoy what this is turning into. There are a few weak points about it - sound being a major one - but with a few changes here and there this can be a big contender in the weapons mutator category.

There is one thing I\'d like to finish on however, and that is that the thing as a whole lacks a sense of identity, and I sincerely hope that can be fixed. Nearly every weapon feels like they have been developed/thought up completely seperate of one another (I don\'t know how true that is), and when you add them together, it doesn\'t go so well. The clash is not so bad for some weapons - the B WGX and RPAR go together well, for example - but it is still something I feel the need to mention.

I look forward to the next versions, hopefully completing the collection with Shock Rifle, Lightning Gun and... Super Weapon replacements =)

-Shuriken

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
The Excessive Version 2 flamethrower is giving me problems again. A clean install helped and now we're back to this again so it's best to forget it exists. I miss it, but this Magma gun flamethrower is the next best one for me. Very cool. Powerful as it should be but ammo consumption needs to be... increased. A lot. One per second of fire may be way too slow.

The Gatling gun is pretty good too! I love the bouncing bullets. Original idea, something sorely lacking in small weapon mods these days.

The sound is kind of a drag but it can always be improved and it doesn't really affect game play much. I tend to be more forgiving to the small things like that but it's good to know we have at least one ruthless bastard on the team :p

SamMaster

Master of the Super Weapons
I actualy took the flame thrower sound from a real flame thrower sound :p

Its quite hard to find one. And agreed, the magma gun primary is weak, when stand alone. Its strength is when you send 10 at the same place: huge glob that gives off a big fiery explosion at an insta-kill damage rate for those without good shield or extra health. And yes I forgot about adding more ammo comsumption to it.

Shortly after posting this version, I found the real reason of the BWGX slowdowns: the bouncing lights would get stuck. So I made them destroy aftrer 5 bounces. And now its fixed, so I can now permit myself some extra effects, like a better skin for the dark matter.

Alt grenades... hmm... I wasn't sure yet what to do with them... maybe some drones that seek the enemy... or maybe something else I'll figure along the way. Hmm... I thought of something but now I don't remember... it bugs me damnit! :(

Sounds I know need some work. The Alt of the RPAR is actualy projected using magnetic propultion system much like a railgun, but at much lower speeds. So theoricaly I need to find a sound proper to magnetic propultion, which I found to be close to the sound of a powerfull electro-magnetic system. No explosions, no crackling, no weird energy sounds. In fact, I should make a small humm with the RPAR to note the presence of Retro-Plasma being generated and maintained. BWGX sounds, I'm gonna have to do some homeworks with that.

SFCX, sorry but it stays that way. Maybe lower RoF a bit, but that's it. The shell cluster is pretty much the best way I found of doing it. All other ways did not go too well. I'll just lower the sound of the small shells then. A lot.

SRLX: don't shoot at walls ;)

As for the non-identity of the weapons, well, I basicaly do them one at a time. When things get together even more (aka all weapons done), I'll concentrate on the uniformity of all things.

Next up: the Retro-Plasma Sniper Cannon. Beam-style weapon. Alt zooms and activates greater retro-plasma generation, making shots double the damage, if you wait long enough. Working on a new model for it which will have a special weapon animation for this mode. Hopefully my modeling skills don't suck :p

It will be then followed by the Super Shock Rifle X, which has 3 different beams, depending on how many alt projs you hit. Last beam, when on wall or player contact, does an ion cannon-like explosion, but that beam needs 10 ammo.

Finaly, as a super weapon... how can I top my normal weapons? Help me on that one please.

After that? Modding the IH to better suit the chaoticity of the SWX as well as player classes, and user-selectable abilities.

Only thing against me is time :(

Thanks for the review ;)

Shuriken

Cordless Pixie
Apr 11, 2002
Yoo`kay
www.planetunreal.com
Nemephosis said:
The sound is kind of a drag but it can always be improved and it doesn't really affect game play much. I tend to be more forgiving to the small things like that but it's good to know we have at least one ruthless bastard on the team :p

Lol - me a ruthless bastard? ;)

The 'not excessively high' score is not down to the sound, although that is a factor in it. A large range of things prevented me from scoring this version higher, most of which I covered in the review. But 7.5 is not a low score, and I hope Sam isn't disappointed with it =)

SamMaster said:
I actualy took the flame thrower sound from a real flame thrower sound :p

That's fine and all, but I do find it a very annoying sound when playing - if other people don't, hey, no problem :)

Shortly after posting this version, I found the real reason of the BWGX slowdowns: the bouncing lights would get stuck. So I made them destroy aftrer 5 bounces. And now its fixed, so I can now permit myself some extra effects, like a better skin for the dark matter.

Sounds good. 5 bounces may be slightly high, but can't tell without trying.

SFCX, sorry but it stays that way.

That's perfectly fine if you're happy with it - just opinion.

I'll just lower the sound of the small shells then. A lot.

Cool. It's strange though, it sounds absolutely fine unless it gets fired directly at you.

SRLX: don't shoot at walls ;)

Heh, I deserve that ;)

But I did notice myself committing suicide with it more often than anything else - whether it be from shooting it slightly too close to myself, or hitting a dumb-ass bot that runs out in front of me.

Finaly, as a super weapon... how can I top my normal weapons? Help me on that one please.

That'll be tough, for sure. For the ion painter, perhaps a weapon like at the moment, but the painter fires instantly, and then the ion cannon fires for ten seconds or so at anybody it sees in that general area (instant kill) - like a big lightning generator.

What do you think about compiling it all into a single .u?

Last edited:

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Shuriken said:
Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention btw - no smallweapons support.
THIS IS A MUST GOD DAMN IT, THERE'S BEEN SUPPORT IN UT2K3 FOR THEM FOREVER! OMFG ARGH

:p

it just sort of ticks me off to see giant f*ckoff models in the game when there's freakin smallweapons we could be using :p

I wish Epic would make that default in 2K4.