Requesting Beta testers for Maverick Hunters mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lord_Darkness

Lord of Darkness
Jul 29, 2004
Brazil
www.moddb.com
Hi there,

If you guys are into UT mods, I'm currently developing a simple mod somewhat based on Mega Man series for UT99.

It doesn't have any models, or even skins on the current release, but it serves for the purpose of finding bugs and getting a sneak peek of what the mod is going to be.

For those interested, it features rips from the original Mega Man X sounds, as well as the weapon effects being based on them as well. Mainly, all weapons have normal and charged-up effects, you start out with all weapons, but only the main one has ammunition. No weapon pickups/drops, just the ammo you get to use them, or just kill an enemy that's using a weapon and you'll have his ammo.

I've also put a healing over time effect on all healing items instead of instant healing, and faster respawn times for everything. All armor absorves 100% damage, too.

The mod also features an elemental weakness/strength system, where opposite elements give 50% extra damage to each other, and similar elements give 50% less damage. The opposites are Fire x Ice, Earth x Air, Water x Shock and Nature x Junk.

And finally, wall jump/sliding, which is a major feature since Mega Man X series. Takes a little time to master, but allows very different uses for creative users.

As I've said before, there's already a first release, which tastes like a raw beta, where I've put all the weapons and a few features, but didn't do much polishment before releasing, just to gather an initial feedback. Keep in mind that I've done it in less then two weeks, alone, and I'm not too experienced with unreal scripting (although I've done a single mod like 5 years ago, Apocalypse Weapons, but that doesn't count much).

The goal of the mod is to keep the original UT99 (my favorite FPS game) feeling, but adding a few touches of the Mega Man series (which happens to be my favorite gaming series).

I'd love to receive some feedback, regarding anything of the mod.

Download (To install, just extract its content on your UT System folder, add the mutator in-game and you're ready to go.)

I'd also encourage you to check the modDB profile, where you can find more complete information about the weapon effects (which are complex, mostly), see what I have planned, watch the videos, and check out for future news of the mod.

Thanks for the attention.

Last edited:

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
I love Megaman X. Least there's already a Megaman model out, even if it looks a bit goofy.

Lord_Darkness

Lord of Darkness
Jul 29, 2004
Brazil
www.moddb.com
Well, I don't really care much about player models, since I don't like being limited to a few when playing a mod... I mean, if I'm able to implement all the extra moves without having to create a specific player class, I think that should be the way to go. Maybe I could include models and such to be optionally used, but actually, I'd rather play as Xan/Mark II to be "in theme" then using a goofy Megaman/Zero model. I mean, I'm fan of the series, not really of the characters... even though I always loved Zero for his intermission when not a playable character, hehe.

Right now I'm currently developing a few HUD items, which I intend to insert and replace a few bits of the default UT hud (I hate the fact that it shows the default UT weapons everytime when the slot is empty). The images are done, just need to script it later and hope that it'll look good. I hate the limited transparency of UT... but well, that's the price I pay to mod an old engine.

Last edited:

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
The one guy made the life/mana bar for the last Dark Magic Beta. So it's not unheard of.

Lord_Darkness

Lord of Darkness
Jul 29, 2004
Brazil
www.moddb.com
The one guy made the life/mana bar for the last Dark Magic Beta. So it's not unheard of.
Nah, it's easy to have them working. The main problem is to get rid of the original UT HUD items by using a mutator, instead of a gametype. I'm adding the HUD to be displayed at the weapons's postrender (much like the sniper rifle scope is rendered), instead of adding a HUD mutator.

I've managed to create a little hack to do this, so it allows me to get rid of the original weapon and ammo display, but not the health. If I intend to remove the standard UT health, I might remove all the hud items, which is not something I want... so I may leave it.

EDIT: You can check the current work on the HUD at the modDB profile.

Last edited:

Lord_Darkness

Lord of Darkness
Jul 29, 2004
Brazil
www.moddb.com
Any words about the mod concept?

Just keep in mind that it's an old release, the current version I have is much more polished, but I'll wait until I finish the second class to release it.